Thread: Around The Majors 2019

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    This isn’t a value conversation.

It’s whether I want that or an elite relief pitcher (which Newk has been).

Never mind that relief pitchers don’t do as well in arbitration if we want to go down that path.
    Elite relief pitcher? He’s been great, but his LOB% is like 99%. He won’t sustain that (obviously). Elite is a strong word and he hasn’t earned that yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    While Swarzak was getting us out of a jam today Biddle was having another bad game for Seattle giving up 2 runs on 2 hits and a walk, hbp and wild pitch.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 06-13-2019 at 08:48 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think you take the mid rotation pitcher and you trade for a high leverage reliever.
    Newk has never shown he’s a #3.

If he becomes that, then yes. I agree. Put him in the rotation. I’m much more confident in his ability to become a lockdown reliever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Elite relief pitcher? He’s been great, but his LOB% is like 99%. He won’t sustain that (obviously). Elite is a strong word and he hasn’t earned that yet.
    The degree by which my words are being twisted is unbelievable.

Of course, he hasn’t shown he can sustain this because he just moved to the pen. But in the time he’s been in the pen he’s been elite (2.62 FIP, 10k/9, less than a walk per 9). I am much more confident he can sustain that than I am that he will become a #3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    He didn’t say he was an elite RP... he said he has been elite since being moved to the bullpen thus far and he has. You can’t argue with that. Will it continue? Maybe or maybe not but he certainly has been an elite RP in a small sample

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Newk has never shown he’s a #3.

If he becomes that, then yes. I agree. Put him in the rotation. I’m much more confident in his ability to become a lockdown reliever.
    I mean he put up 1.9 fWAR last year in his first full season. I don't know what your definition of a 3 is, but I imagine most 3's don't do much better than that. Maybe 2-3 fWAR.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    It’s June?

Seems odd to **** on a guy who’s only given up 3 runs in his last 7 starts. Hasn’t given up a homer in like 45+ innings.

If he could figure out how to stop waking so many guys he’d be incredible.
    i mean no one has **** on him. i don’t know what you’re talking about.
    that last sentence tho
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I mean he put up 1.9 fWAR last year in his first full season. I don't know what your definition of a 3 is, but I imagine most 3's don't do much better than that. Maybe 2-3 fWAR.
    yeah he put that up but there were indications he was going to regress. and then he did. i was Newk’s biggest cheerleader for a bit there so it’s not like i’m anti-Newk. i think he still has a shot to be a starter even. but his role as a RP this season has been huge and i think he could easily continue to be an asset there. where as i think he’ll continue to struggle as a starter. with the way the game has been moving, having a guy who i think is a legit weapon out of the pen is a huge contributor to me. it’s not even a slight in the least.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah he put that up but there were indications he was going to regress. and then he did. i was Newk’s biggest cheerleader for a bit there so it’s not like i’m anti-Newk. i think he still has a shot to be a starter even. but his role as a RP this season has been huge and i think he could easily continue to be an asset there. where as i think he’ll continue to struggle as a starter. with the way the game has been moving, having a guy who i think is a legit weapon out of the pen is a huge contributor to me. it’s not even a slight in the least.
    He regressed over the 2nd half of the season, but still finished with s FIP of 4.15, xFIP of 4.33, and a .273 BABIP.
    Maybe a tad lucky overall, but not outlandishly so. What I saw were marked improvements from his rookie season. And it's possible fatigue took it's toll in the 2nd half of last year as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    He regressed over the 2nd half of the season, but still finished with s FIP of 4.15, xFIP of 4.33, and a .273 BABIP.
    Maybe a tad lucky overall, but not outlandishly so. What I saw were marked improvements from his rookie season. And it's possible fatigue took it's toll in the 2nd half of last year as well.
    As with most things there was a massive overreaction to the most recent thing that happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If he pitched as a starter the rest of this season Newk would pitch better than he did as a starter earlier this year. If he pitched as a reliever the rest of the season he would pitch worse than he has as a reliever. Stop leaning so hard on tiny samples.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    so what was the excuse in ST when he couldn't throw a strike, and then to begin the season when he also couldn't throw a strike, or strike anyone out. even in the minors he wasn't striking guys out.
    i'm all for giving him another shot as a starter. if he can beat out the crop next season it will mean a lot. all i'm saying is he looked great in his RP role and was a huge asset. i'm much more certain he'd continue to be an asset there than as a starter.
    but we'll see. if he can become more than a stuff 4/5 i'll be really happy. if he can't, he's a weapon out of the BP. no downside for me.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    so what was the excuse in ST when he couldn't throw a strike, and then to begin the season when he also couldn't throw a strike, or strike anyone out. even in the minors he wasn't striking guys out.
    i'm all for giving him another shot as a starter. if he can beat out the crop next season it will mean a lot. all i'm saying is he looked great in his RP role and was a huge asset. i'm much more certain he'd continue to be an asset there than as a starter.
    but we'll see. if he can become more than a stuff 4/5 i'll be really happy. if he can't, he's a weapon out of the BP. no downside for me.

Newk was/is a pitcher who was mechanically broken. The question is going to be is he fixed. In the pen he is striking out 10+ per 9. So I am completely tossing his stats from the beginning of the year out. He also showed he can carry his success over several innings. His last outing he went 4 and 2/3 of one hit ball and 6 strikeouts against a Pirates team that none of our other pitchers could handle as easily. So he can physically be a starter. I have my doubts he mentally can.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Is this the around the league topic? Why are we talking about some fat ass Braves pitcher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Is this the around the league topic? Why are we talking about some fat ass Braves pitcher.
    Hey ya'll! Hide its the 5-0!

and Newk ain't fat.
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    His FIP and xFIP were more or less equal (as was the majority of his stat profile including k/9, bb/9, etc..) in the 1st vs 2nd half (they were actually better in the 2nd by a little), but his BABIP normalized and his batted ball rates switched from 23/45/32% to 9/51/40% (soft, med, hard). Fatigue might've been the case, but IMO teams just figured out you could key in on his breaking stuff and began murdering it since his fastball was so erratic.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Newk was/is a pitcher who was mechanically broken. The question is going to be is he fixed. In the pen he is striking out 10+ per 9. So I am completely tossing his stats from the beginning of the year out. He also showed he can carry his success over several innings. His last outing he went 4 and 2/3 of one hit ball and 6 strikeouts against a Pirates team that none of our other pitchers could handle as easily. So he can physically be a starter. I have my doubts he mentally can.
    tossing his stats as a starter out seems silly. some guys are great relievers but can't start. it's very common.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Hey ya'll! Hide its the 5-0!

and Newk ain't fat.
    In fact, it looks to me like the dude's lost a good amount of weight... wondering if that's been helping as well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    May be it was mechanical. May be it had to something to do with the juiced ball. He certainly never had problems striking people out prior to 2019. Regardless, I wouldn't put too much stock into a month or so worth of stats at the start of the season.
    Last edited by Carp; 06-14-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    tossing his stats as a starter out seems silly. some guys are great relievers but can't start. it's very common.
    I am not tossing stats out. I am saying he seems to have fixed his declining K issue as a pitcher. We will now get to see if he fixed it as a starter or is he only good as a reliever.
    Coppy