Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AA's Failure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I essentially predicted this three years ago. The roots of this go all the way back to the "reload" BS from the Johns.

Instead of rebuilding and committing to a 5 year process of building, they rushed through to reach a lucky and unexpected NL East championship (with immediate drubbing out) in 2018. Now, AA has a team too good not to contend but not good enough to really contend and not enough money to fix the problem and prospect capital that, if spent to fix holes, shortens the window into another likely rebuild near term. It's baseball purgatory, just as I predicted.
    You predicted we would lose our opening day game 3 years ago? Wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Reactions to opening day are the best reactions.

Starving for real baseball we are.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Reactions to opening day are the best reactions.

Starving for real baseball we are.
    I always knew you were the real Yoda.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    this...over one game?
    damn people
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I essentially predicted this three years ago. The roots of this go all the way back to the "reload" BS from the Johns.

Instead of rebuilding and committing to a 5 year process of building, they rushed through to reach a lucky and unexpected NL East championship (with immediate drubbing out) in 2018. Now, AA has a team too good not to contend but not good enough to really contend and not enough money to fix the problem and prospect capital that, if spent to fix holes, shortens the window into another likely rebuild near term. It's baseball purgatory, just as I predicted.
    dude, what?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    I failed?

Probably in life too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Getting upset for losing one game is silly. Though I will say that there probably wouldn't be as much grumbling if we'd lost the game 4-3 or if the big play of the game was an error by Freddie. One of the reasons this game stung more than normal is because it was a huge, obvious hole (bullpen) that was the key to why we lost. That game shined a spotlight onto a glaring weakness of this roster.

At the start of the offseason, the pen was an obvious area that could be improved. There were a fair number of solid relievers on the market and some elite closers. That's not even considering what was available through trades. We had ample opportunity to improve the pen and we didn't bring in a single reliever. In fact, with Brach leaving, the pen actually got worse.

The reason to be upset with AA isn't because we lost the first game. The reason to be upset with AA is because of an incredibly bad offseason. Not upgrading the OF, completely ignoring the pen, failing to add a starter, etc. Those are failures by AA that will cost us a lot of games this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacheaholic View Post
    There is a huge difference between value and cheap. The Braves were super cheap and tried to make the excuse that they were looking for value.
    This. I understand trying to get good value and making the money we have go as far as possible. But there comes a point where you have to fix the holes even if you're not getting the value you want.

If someone goes grocery shopping, looks for sales, and tries to find good deals, that person is looking for value and making their money go as far as possible. When someone refuses to buy food because they don't think the sales are good enough and starves to death, that person is an idiot.

AA took the latter route.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

This is absurd.

The Braves had 30-40 million (or more if you ask Liberty Media) in available payroll this off-season. We can argue whether that money was used efficiently or not, but it's clear we had plenty of money to make major improvements. And we only have like 30 million tied up in future obligations. Payroll is not an issue at this time.

From a prospect standpoint, we have one of the strongest farms in the league full of MLB ready talent and talent that's further away. Even if we traded half of our top 10 away in 2 major trades, we'd still have a very strong farm system that would likely still be top 10, along with adding two 1st round picks.
    Last edited by Carp; 03-29-2019 at 07:44 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    From a prospect standpoint, we have one of the strongest farms in the league full of MLB ready talent and talent that's further away. Even if we traded half of our top 10 away in 2 major trades, we'd still have a very strong farm system that would likely still be top 10, along with adding two 1st round picks.
    not to mention the two young studs already excelling at the MLB level.
    the future looks great. the present looks pretty damn good too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Carp (03-29-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    I honestly feel that AA was acting out the behest of the owners. I think even he was duped into believing that he had more money available then what was reality.

I don’t like throwing $20m at a player that we really didn’t need...Should have been used to address the blowpen.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree Carle > Jackson

but he's still a sacrificial lamb type 8th guy whose main role is to protect the more valuable arms

oh and this

Sam Freeman > Carle
    I think Carle and Freeman are pretty equivalent. I'm not really sure why they released Freeman, though. If he hadn't been released folks would probably be complaining about him being a member of the staff.

The problem here is mainly injuries and perhaps will develop into the manager not properly using the resources he has available to him because he has comfort level from habit with other guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think Carle and Freeman are pretty equivalent. I'm not really sure why they released Freeman, though. If he hadn't been released folks would probably be complaining about him being a member of the staff.

The problem here is mainly injuries and perhaps will develop into the manager not properly using the resources he has available to him because he has comfort level from habit with other guys.
    The next week or so will be a test for Snitker. It is easy to manage a flush pen. But when a couple key guys go down, it becomes paramount to identify who to move into a higher leverage role. I actually don't think it was crazy to bring Carle in during the 6th inning yesterday. But he flunked the test. I think Sobotka and Parsons should be moved ahead of Carle for higher leverage situations that call for a righty. They might flunk the test too, but lets give them the next shot.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    I honestly feel that AA was acting out the behest of the owners. I think even he was duped into believing that he had more money available then what was reality.

I don’t like throwing $20m at a player that we really didn’t need...Should have been used to address the blowpen.
    I really doubt AA thought he had more money to spend than he did. Without a change in ownership or something on that level, you're not going to see unexpected things like that.

I think it's more likely that AA actually has flexibility. That he doesn't have orders to keep payroll low. However, I expect, as I've said all along, that AA and other execs have bonus structures that would be impacted by increasing payroll. It's not at all uncommon in any business to see execs have incentives to keeping costs down.

It explains why he's insisted he's had flexibility, why there have been rumors of us talking about expensive additions, and why AA has ultimately not pulled the trigger.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The next week or so will be a test for Snitker. It is easy to manage a flush pen. But when a couple key guys go down, it becomes paramount to identify who to move into a higher leverage role. I actually don't think it was crazy to bring Carle in during the 6th inning yesterday. But he flunked the test. I think Sobotka and Parsons should be moved ahead of Carle for higher leverage situations that call for a righty. They might flunk the test too, but lets give them the next shot.

I don't one think one appearance is really anything, but given how well Parsons pitched last year and in spring training it would be ok with me if he got more chances early on.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Guys...this first month is really tough. Injuries or no injuries, we would be lucky to come out with a winning record. Honestly I’m hoping for 16-14....but it could easily be 14-16 and we should be happy with a 15-15 start.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I really doubt AA thought he had more money to spend than he did. Without a change in ownership or something on that level, you're not going to see unexpected things like that.

I think it's more likely that AA actually has flexibility. That he doesn't have orders to keep payroll low. However, I expect, as I've said all along, that AA and other execs have bonus structures that would be impacted by increasing payroll. It's not at all uncommon in any business to see execs have incentives to keeping costs down.

It explains why he's insisted he's had flexibility, why there have been rumors of us talking about expensive additions, and why AA has ultimately not pulled the trigger.
    And again, that also makes very little sense. GMs have a finite amount of time in order to win. And if they don't win in that time, they are generally fired. AA wasting peak years of his best players for may be a 500k bonus would be a pretty dumb financial move on his part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Guys...this first month is really tough. Injuries or no injuries, we would be lucky to come out with a winning record. Honestly I’m hoping for 16-14....but it could easily be 14-16 and we should be happy with a 15-15 start.
    I'm not nearly as concerned about the schedule as I am with the roster. It doesn't matter who we're playing, our pen is really bad, our rotation has to have rookies pitch like established starters to be any good, and there was no improvement to the OF. That concerns me far more than winning yesterday or what our April record will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    And again, that also makes very little sense. GMs have a finite amount of time in order to win. And if they don't win in that time, they are generally fired. AA wasting peak years of his best players for may be a 500k bonus would be a pretty dumb financial move on his part.
    That all depends on how the GM's success is measured. A team owned by a billionaire who sees the club as his toy might measure the GM's success by wins and losses. A corporate owned team, on the other hand, is almost certainly going to judge a GM based on the bottom line.

When a GM of a team owned by a corporation makes terrible decisions, squanders the payroll, and fields a terrible team, the decrease in revenue tends to lead to the GM's firing.

However, if you're fielding a team you know is going to be good enough to keep fans interested, why would a GM spend extra money to push the team over the hump?

The difference in revenue between a 65 win team and an 85 win team is huge. The difference in revenue between an 85 win team and a 92 win team isn't nearly as big.

With that in mind, why would a GM of a team that's got an excellent chance to win between 80 and 85 games spend another $30 million to try to push the team over 90 wins when doing so would cost him a lot of money personally?

AA is almost certainly incentivized to maximize profits. That means spending enough to keep fans interested but stopping before diminishing returns takes over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I get that logic but hate that logic. Just keep winning. Don't worry about the opponent or SOS.