Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: AA's Failure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I hope camargo gets more starts versus righties too. He needs more playing time than he is getting. Nothing wrong with resting our guys more. Including Donaldson and FF. Once season gets into full swing I hope to see camargo starting 3-4 times a week.
    I think Camargo will start getting some games in the infield against righties. Against lefties, he will probably be in the outfield.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I’m sure we were in on the handful of relievers that could have actually made a noted difference. We were either outbid OR (more likely)...the play decided on a different team with a very similar offer. The Yankees for example will usually win that battle. For instance with Brantley HE chose the Astros (with maybe a better chance to win another WS in the near future and no income taxes), over us. We most likely had a similar offer, but because he would rather go to the Astros...It became an over pay for us to get him.

Players have choices. Some of the ones we wanted didn’t choose us. That doesn’t mean we didn’t try to get any of them....it just means we wouldn’t over pay.

Bmac chose us because wanted to play here and took a low deal...as did Nick. If another team wanted them (which I would assume a few did)....they would have to overpay, because those guys WANTED to play here. Donaldson could have easily found a multi year deal...he WANTED to play here.

AA was probably active on many of the players we wanted and many others we had no clue about. It just did t work out, but we didn’t force anything...and I’m cool with that.

Some of these teams will be more improved than us for the near future (like this year), but as guys like Cutch decline yearly after 2019...I promise you we will be glad we stayed away.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-05-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think the bullpen is really shaky given both performance and durability concerns and we'll probably see a revolving door throughout the season. I find the Kimbrel situation really interesting. Right now, it looks like everyone is holding off until there is no draft pick compensation, which makes me wonder what the bidding will look like for him after that concern is lifted both in terms of AAV and years.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-05-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It wouldn't have hurt to add Bud Norris.
    How could you dare describe Bud Norris as a middle reliever?

Not funny even as a joke. Shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    How could you dare describe Bud Norris as a middle reliever?

Not funny even as a joke. Shame.
    Did I say he was a middle reliever. He was NL Bully of the Year in 2018.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think the bullpen is really shaky given both performance and durability concerns and we'll probably see a revolving door throughout the season. I find the Kimbrel situation really interesting. Right now, it looks like everyone is holding off until there is no draft pick compensation, which makes me wonder what the bidding will look like for him after that concern is lifted both in terms of AAV and years.
    They need to do away with this giving up high draft picks to sign free agents nonsense. You can still help out small clubs who see their stars leave as FAs by having a sandwich round between the first and the second rounds. Just rank the FAs and teams with the top X number get a pick in that sandwich round when that player signs somewhere else. Players union would love it and teams would love not having to worry about qualifying offer nonsense.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-06-2019), jpx7 (04-05-2019)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Bump!
    Since the win streak is over thought it would be a great time to bump this.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (04-07-2019), Tapate50 (04-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Anyone still willing to defend AAs utter neglect of the pen this offseason?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Anyone still willing to defend AAs utter neglect of the pen this offseason?
    He should have done a few more things, but there has been some pretty bad luck also. Minter car wreck, Sobotka was probably thought to be a strong piece and he is falling apart, Viz out for the year, Venters getting absolutely torched after winning comeback player of the year. Biddle??

I mean, you can say he should have done more...which he should have. You have to agree this is the worst case scenario and even if we would have added a few guys...it would still be a mess. Kimbrel coming in with no preseason is likely to get touched up for a while also.

If Luke Jackson is the anchor of the bullpen...one or two additions wouldn’t have made that much of a difference (which most would have been completely happy with). At this point, an addition or two might have made a one game difference.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    place is insufferable after a couple losses. funny how the whiners were quiet during the nice stretch tho. get back up there and let the whine out!
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    place is insufferable after a couple losses. funny how the whiners were quiet during the nice stretch tho. get back up there and let the whine out!
    Nice stretch? Yes. But maybe check the records of the teams we beat. Maybe this team as constructed is a middle of the road team with some good players and a lot of questions.
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Nice stretch? Yes. But maybe check the records of the teams we beat. Maybe this team as constructed is a middle of the road team with some good players and a lot of questions.
    A lot of questions? The pen is an issue. The offense, defense, and rotation are not. Those are quite good.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Our pen has pitched 62.2 innings. It has a 5.17 ERA, a 5.42 FIP, and a -0.5 WAR.

The worst part? There aren't any reinforcements on the horizon. O'Day isn't anywhere close and there's a fair chance he's never going to be healthy this year. It's still too early to send a lot of our young starters to the pen and there's a good chance there will be an adjustment period of we do.

And AA is pretty much dead set on not getting Kimbrel.

We really have very few options. The pen will be an albatross around our neck until teams start being willing to trade in June. Even then it's unlikely AA actually gets any impact piece for the pen as he's not interested in the FA impact arm out there now!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    A lot of questions? The pen is an issue. The offense, defense, and rotation are not. Those are quite good.
    As constructed. Yes. Rotation has to get healthy and we are still depending on rookies to be key. The offense has questions for me. Can Dans stay productive. Can Donaldson stay healthy and be productive. What to do with ender. How long will neck play well. So yes. A lot of questions for me
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    lolz. and when they win a couple more games you'll declare you were wrong again. perhaps we shouldn't overreact to good and bad stretches so much. we're adults right?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    And AA is pretty much dead set on not getting Kimbrel.
    lolz. where were you whines the previous week and a half?
    i guess every other GM is also "dead set on not getting kimbrel."
    do people realize how they sound?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    As constructed. Yes. Rotation has to get healthy and we are still depending on rookies to be key. The offense has questions for me. Can Dans stay productive. Can Donaldson stay healthy and be productive. What to do with ender. How long will neck play well. So yes. A lot of questions for me
    lolz. what team doesn't have questions?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    lolz. and when they win a couple more games you'll declare you were wrong again. perhaps we shouldn't overreact to good and bad stretches so much. we're adults right?
    Did I say they are doomed. I said maybe step back from that good stretch and evaluate what you are looking at. We beat teams playing horrible. It goes both ways.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    lolz. what team doesn't have questions?
    I don’t care about other teams.
    Coppy

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    That's the way the Braves were last year too. Braves are a team built on a lot of risk. That's the case. If the risk fails the Braves are a .500 team. If the risk pays off the Braves are 90+win team. The truth usually winds up somewhere in the middle.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg