Thread: Ozzie And Dansby

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Yes.
    Well 14 division titles is impressive. But Anyone who thinks three straight World Series titles is less impressive probably has a screw loose. I would trade five of those division titles for another World Series victory
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    A 2 to 3 win player For a mid market team is just fine. A 2 to 3 when player on the team friendly contract for a mid market team is smart. A 2 to 3 when player on the team friendly deal with the potential to be 845 when player on any given year is brilliant. If we can Lock up Dansby on a deal through his 30s valuing him at two wins then it needs to be done
    signing any type of player to a team friendly deal is good business...it can come in many sizes and shapes...see Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples of team friendly deals

#value

corollary: I'm not opposed to signing Kimbrel...or extending Swanson...depends on the details
    Last edited by nsacpi; 04-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    signing any type of player to a team friendly deal is good business...it can come in many sizes and shapes...see Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples

#value

corollary: I'm not opposed to signing Kimbrel...depends on the details
    I don’t quite agree with this but I see what you’re saying. A team of players that are 1 to 2 wins on great team friendly deals is not good for any team
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    A team of players that are 1 to 2 wins on great team friendly deals is not good for any team
    True. Carried to its extreme chasing value can lead to absurd outcomes. But that's not what I'm talking about. In practice seeking value will lead to a variety of deals. See Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples. They are not all 1-2 wins players on team friendly deals.

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    True. Carried to its extreme chasing value can lead to absurd outcomes. But that's not what I'm talking about. In practice seeking value will lead to a variety of deals. See Donaldson, McCann, Markakis and Acuna for recent examples. They are not all 1-2 wins players on team friendly deals.
    Which is why I said I see what you’re saying. Any contending team is going to have their above average player that kind of fill out the roster and having those said players on very team friendly deals is a good way to build a team
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    I think what I am saying is we need to lock up both Ozzie and Dans ASAP. Monsters!!!
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If he's a 4-5fWAR player, he won't be signing a friendly extension.
    After 1 season? I would think he'd be smart enough to realize that in this market, for a player like him, he's unlikely to ever get more 60-75 million guaranteed. If he finishes the year around 4fWAR, I'd extend him and buyout a year or 2 of FA. But probably not for over 60 million. Unless the market changes, I think the Jean Segura extension (5/70) is about the best he could hope for even if he reached FA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    After 1 season? I would think he'd be smart enough to realize that in this market, for a player like him, he's unlikely to ever get more 60-75 million guaranteed. If he finishes the year around 4fWAR, I'd extend him and buyout a year or 2 of FA. But probably not for over 60 million. Unless the market changes, I think the Jean Segura extension (5/70) is about the best he could hope for even if he reached FA.
    As a rough rule, if a player is coming off a 4 WAR season or two 3 WAR seasons, I'd be willing to extent him at the going rate for a 2 WAR player (with appropriate adjustments for aging).

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Dansby will be arb1 next year. I think any extension starts there. I would say you could buy out his 3 arb years for 20-25 million. Then see about 2 team options or 1 more garauntee year with 1 team option. Probably around 15 per. Basically 5 year deal for 50/60 million if option(s) are picked up
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Dansby will be arb1 next year. I think any extension starts there. I would say you could buy out his 3 arb years for 20-25 million. Then see about 2 team options or 1 more garauntee year with 1 team option. Probably around 15 per. Basically 5 year deal for 50/60 million if option(s) are picked up
    That's a reasonable deal if he's able to put up a 4 WAR season in 2019.

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    That's a reasonable deal if he's able to put up a 4 WAR season in 2019.
    I would do that before then end of year personally.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    I would do that before then end of year personally.
    If his agent approached the club tomorrow, I wouldn't offer that kind of deal. I'd offer something about half of what your proposed. Big difference between what I'd be willing to offer Dansby now and Dansby after a 4 WAR season.

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    If his agent approached the club tomorrow, I wouldn't offer that kind of deal. I'd offer something about half of what your proposed.
    Tomorrow. I would. But it would be closer to 50 than 60 and probably want the two options.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,519 Posts
    Well 14 division titles is impressive. But Anyone who thinks three straight World Series titles is less impressive probably has a screw loose. I would trade five of those division titles for another World Series victory
    It’s a fair question. With any World Series run, there’s a bit of small sample randomness, which is one of the things that make it so unlikely in this day and age. That transpiring 3 consecutive times, as well as being good enough for it to happen, is impressive from an odds perspective. But, being the best team in your division (as well as the best team in your league most years) over a decade-and-a-half stretch is also, obviously, extremely impressive. I don’t think it’s a simple answer, and is very subjective.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-08-2019), jpx7 (04-08-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If his agent approached the club tomorrow, I wouldn't offer that kind of deal. I'd offer something about half of what your proposed. Big difference between what I'd be willing to offer Dansby now and Dansby after a 4 WAR season.
    If his agent approached us tomorrow I would offer something like a 3/20 deal with two option years at 12 million a piece with a 3 million dollar buyout. That may be a tad light, but that is what I would offer at this point. It probably makes more sense to wait until the end of the year to do something though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-08-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    If his agent approached us tomorrow I would offer something like a 3/20 deal with two option years at 12 million a piece with a 3 million dollar buyout. That may be a tad light, but that is what I would offer at this point. It probably makes more sense to wait until the end of the year to do something though.
    Sounds about right. Keep it light until Dansby puts up the numbers.

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It’s a fair question. With any World Series run, there’s a bit of small sample randomness, which is one of the things that make it so unlikely in this day and age. That transpiring 3 consecutive times, as well as being good enough for it to happen, is impressive from an odds perspective. But, being the best team in your division (as well as the best team in your league most years) over a decade-and-a-half stretch is also, obviously, extremely impressive. I don’t think it’s a simple answer, and is very subjective.
    Sure it is a fair question. But imo it is a very simple answer. WS 3 times is more impressive. Being the best of five teams for 14 years is cool. But in the end being the best of 30 teams is cooler.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    That is 5/~45 which is close to my 5/50. I think that is more likely what it would take. Dansby can afford to bet on himself that he will hit 3 wins this year. That will net him ~5 mil in arb 1. Then if he continues that production he will be getting close to 25 mill for all 3 arb years combined . I don’t see him buying that potential out plus 2 prime years without more garaunteed/bigger options.
    Coppy

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Sure it is a fair question. But imo it is a very simple answer. WS 3 times is more impressive. Being the best of five teams for 14 years is cool. But in the end being the best of 30 teams is cooler.
    Is the WS winner the absolute best, or just the luckiest good team over an 11–20 game stretch? Seems an intractable question, hence Cy’s rightful equivocation.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Is the WS winner the absolute best, or just the luckiest good team over an 11–20 game stretch? Seems an intractable question, hence Cy’s rightful equivocation.
    If you're the luckiest team 3 years in a row, it's probably more than luck