In the past the shift had been employed almost exclusively against left handed hitters. However this year it seems to be used against right handed hitters at an increasing rate. I think Acuna and Donaldson have been victimized by it more than anyone.

The thing about it though that I find different is that without actually looking at the numbers they seem to have lost a few hits already on line drives up the middle rather than balls that were pulled. Obviously on the left side you’re not going fo put the shortstop way out in.left field like the second baseman plays against lefties. Instead the second baseman is playing deeper than usual up the middle. I’m the outfield the outfield configuration looks like it’s more set up to protect right center opposite the infield configuration.

I wonder if this is going to effect a different kind of hitter than the lefty shifts that tend to rob dead pull hitters a it could effect balls up the middle and line drives to right center which are the strengths of a lot of well rounded hitters. The bunt is not there like with lefties and the only thing left more open is really slapping the ball through the right side which is usually the strength of good right handed hitters.

This is really just my early impressions of a new trend but I was curious what you guys think. Data for this year would be early and in the past this isn’t something we’ve faced or done much.