Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The inevitable Inciarte trade

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts

The inevitable Inciarte trade

So I’ve been thinking a lot in recent days about when and what our eventual Ender trade is going to look like. After this year Ender has 3 more years of team control (final year is an option) for only 24 mil. With the development of Pache though Inciarte could be replaced in our organization easily. He is however one of the most valuable mlb players we have that we can trade.

When do we pull the trigger on a deal? What should we be expecting in return?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    So I’ve been thinking a lot in recent days about when and what our eventual Ender trade is going to look like. After this year Ender has 3 more years of team control (final year is an option) for only 24 mil. With the development of Pache though Inciarte could be replaced in our organization easily. He is however one of the most valuable mlb players we have that we can trade.

When do we pull the trigger on a deal? What should we be expecting in return?
    I'm still not sure that we will end up dealing him. I certainly don't think it is inevitable. I don't like making trades on the assumption that a prospect will come in and adequately fill in that role, especially when you are a contender. I think we should let Pache develop this year and bring him up next year to serve some role, whether that be as a utility option or as Nick's replacement (probably alongside another outfielder acquired externally). If he comes up and we are comfortable with his progress, then we could talk about trading Ender. We should only trade Ender if we have a surplus of quality outfielders and other deficiencies that need to be met.

As far as what we could get for him, its hard to know. We don't know what weaknesses we will have when that time comes. If a trade came down tomorrow I guess it'd most likely be for a reliever, which I would not be a fan of.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-08-2019)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Really zero reason to move him until Pache proves himself. Pache should play half the year or more in AA this season and then end up in AAA. So a typical and natural progression would be to play Pache a month or two in AAA at the beginning of 2020 and then call him up. Given how raw Pache is with the bat there it's likely a very poor idea to rush him.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-09-2019), jpx7 (04-08-2019)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Really zero reason to move him until Pache proves himself. Pache should play half the year or more in AA this season and then end up in AAA. So a typical and natural progression would be to play Pache a month or two in AAA at the beginning of 2020 and then call him up. Given how raw Pache is with the bat there it's likely a very poor idea to rush him.
    Yeah just have him replace Neck next year and voila

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    This is an odd thing to be planning for right now.

By the time Pache is ready, Ender will likely be a declining 4th OFer with very little trade value. He will most likely be insurance in case Pache and/or Waters don't work out, and will them sail off into the FA sunset.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-08-2019), JohnAdcox (04-09-2019), jpx7 (04-08-2019), The Chosen One (04-08-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is an odd thing to be planning for right now.

By the time Pache is ready, Ender will likely be a declining 4th OFer with very little trade value. He will most likely be insurance in case Pache and/or Waters don't work out, and will them sail off into the FA sunset.
    Would you keep Ender as a declined veteran 4th OF?

Where would you draw the line at? Dude took a deal way below market value to stay with us when we still sucked. He might wanna hang around if we entertain it. He's didn't once complain about getting platooned after we acquired Duvall last year.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

CK86 (04-11-2019), JohnAdcox (04-09-2019), jpx7 (04-08-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Yea, I think we’re at the point where Inciarte’s going to be worth more to the Braves, even if he becomes a fourth OF in a year or two, than he would be in a trade to another team.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-09-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    his contract numbers the next 3 seasons.

29- 7.7
    30- 8.7
    31- 9 mil club option

Pretty pricy for a 4th outfielder, but im not sure what we could even get in return.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Folks act like other teams are going to line up for the right to acquire a light hitting 4th OFer with declining defense.

Here’s a tip...if you want to get rid of a player, chances are nobody wants him either.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-09-2019), jpx7 (04-09-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Folks act like other teams are going to line up for the right to acquire a light hitting 4th OFer with declining defense.

Here’s a tip...if you want to get rid of a player, chances are nobody wants him either.
    I wouldn’t say “want” to get rid of him. I would never “want” to get rid of Ender unless there was someone that would be an upgrade or equal on the cheap.

Between Pache and Waters, I think one will advance quickly. At that point, you have three center fielders and Enders money could be better spent somewhere else.

You can’t say Ender has no value. I don’t believe he would fetch some major trade piece, but there would be plenty of interested teams. Newk and Ender are our most valuable (and probably only), trade chips on the MLB roster that could be expendable this summer.

Nick will probably stay next year and that would just leave one rookie to add in the lineup, and really a Waters or Pache wouldn’t have to be that good to replace Enders offense.

I think he could fetch some nice bullpen help and if Waters for example goes on a insane run....AA might consider moving Ender at the deadline (which is doubtful). As much as I like Pache, I think Waters could move quicker. Pache will be slower to develop.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    I guess a core question is how much WAR do we expect Ender to produce over the remainder of his team control? I’m guessing something like an average of 2.5 WAR per season. Seems like there would be some solid surplus value.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think trading ender is a big assumption.

Pache is very talented. He's still very young. He still has not hit over any extended sample.
    Waters is very talented. He's till very young. I do not see many who expect him to be CF anymore. Yes Acuna could do it but there seems to be a mixed opinion on his CF ability.

I still expect both guys to be mid 2021 if things go well.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Contending teams don't normally trade quality MLB players on team friendly deals. If Pache has a meteoric rise to a top 5 overall prospect this year, may be you consider a trade this off-season. But his bat still has big questions at this time.
    Last edited by Carp; 04-09-2019 at 12:07 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Acuna, Markakis, Ozuna in 2020!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think trading ender is a big assumption.

Pache is very talented. He's still very young. He still has not hit over any extended sample.
    Waters is very talented. He's till very young. I do not see many who expect him to be CF anymore. Yes Acuna could do it but there seems to be a mixed opinion on his CF ability.

I still expect both guys to be mid 2021 if things go well.
    I've seen Waters a lot, and there's no doubt in my mind that he can play a passable CF in MLB today (defensively.) He is also still listed as a CF on the Mississippi roster, so I expect him to move back to playing CF once he and Pache are separated. The Braves would really be crazy to do otherwise, you don't move guys off of SS or CF until you absolutely have to.

I agree with your timeline. Both of these guys need time to develop physically and as hitters.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Acuna, Markakis, Ozuna in 2020!
    oh god please no
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Contending teams don't normally trade quality MLB players on team friendly deals. If Acuna has a meteoric rise to a top 5 overall prospect this year, may be you consider a trade this off-season. But his bat still has big questions at this time.
    Call me pessimistic, but I seriously doubt Acuna becomes a top 5 prospect this year.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Carp (04-09-2019), jpx7 (04-09-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    The Ender arc will be determined entirely by his defense. If it doesn't decline rapidly, he will still have value in the coming of the universal DH, when you can keep a defense-centric player at one of the premium defensive positions (C, SS, CF). He just drives me nuts at the plate.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-09-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Markakis forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    oh god please no

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-09-2019), The Chosen One (04-09-2019)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    We must, must trader Ender ASAP, because depth is a terrible thing that only hurts clubs. Uh, that's the argument, right? Just making sure I'm following.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-09-2019)