Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Any chance for a retractable roof? I see no mention of it.
    I don't see the need. Not much rain, and doesn't get too cold during the bookend months of the baseball season.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    Any chance for a retractable roof? I see no mention of it.
    Is there any need for a retractable roof? Do we have a major problem with any of the following issues:

1) Rain outs
    2) Rain delays
    3) Extreme temperatures

With the way they can drain the field these days, I don't see any need for a roof.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Where is the nearest MARTA spur? Would have to believe that (although this is not being mentioned yet) we'll see a MARTA line at or near the stadium.
    I've not actually taken MARTA around here, but I do know that there are lots of buses that run to Cumberland Mall and the Galleria. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to see buses running to the stadium, given how close it will be to those locations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    As a local, I'm thrilled. The biggest deterrent to Turner Field has always been the area around Turner Field. Speaking frankly, a good portion of the Braves season ticket base doesn't feel comfortable walking through some of the areas required to get to Turner Field. I just hope when the new "mixed use" area is installed around the new ballpark, they don't forget the tailgate space.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I just really hope this helps attendance. Living right by Philly, the location and ease of CBP is a huge advantage to fans. I can take 2 trains for about 25 min total and be dropped off right at the sports complex. There's a huge sports bar right across from all of the stadiums there. Even driving, it's extremely accessible from pretty much all surrounding areas. Hopefully this makes it easier for our fans to get there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    As a local, I'm thrilled. The biggest deterrent to Turner Field has always been the area around Turner Field. Speaking frankly, a good portion of the Braves season ticket base doesn't feel comfortable walking through some of the areas required to get to Turner Field. I just hope when the new "mixed use" area is installed around the new ballpark, they don't forget the tailgate space.
    Interesting. In Philly, like I said, all the sporting complexes are right in the same area. It's the sporting complex area, so it's really nice and I would walk around at 3 AM by myself if I had to.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I don't see the need. Not much rain, and doesn't get too cold during the bookend months of the baseball season.
    Only plus is battling humidity. But I feel like sweating your ass off is part of the baseball experience.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've only visited Atlanta a couple of times to go to Braves games (I'm from NYC), but it didn't seem like anyone used the MARTA line besides inner city folks who couldn't afford to own a car or didn't need one. I know I'm making a generalization and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I take the NYC subway every single day and I notice a much wider demographic of people using it than I did on MARTA. I used MARTA over 10 times when I was down there.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    As I said before, the only way I can see this working is if most of that space is for parking. If not, it's going to be awful. I literally live within walking distance of their proposed site, and I'm not sure if I'd brave it (no pun intended, ha) more than a few times a year unless they have a rock solid plan on how to ease traffic there.

Maybe this is why they've been pinching pennies the past few years.... I wonder what kind of renovations JS was talking about that would be that expensive. The stadium still looks nice to me.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Awesome! Hopefully this move will increase attendance and the overall atmosphere of the team. I see this being a very good move.

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I want to echo Crimson's question. For those of us who followed the team through TBS and never lived in the Atlanta area, what does this mean? How does Cobb County compare? And, um, what the hell is Cobb County?
    Most of Cobb County is gross; it's where you live if you are scared of cities and black people, but still want to trick people and tell them you live in Atlanta. Historically, it's where the Cherokee Nation was until we Trail of Tears'd them, so it's got that going for it. But this location is right on the perimeter, so it's not really all that far "outside" the city.

Part of the T-SPLOST that got voted down, if I recall correctly, was a rail line up I-75 right to this location. Even though that didn't pass, I would imagine that idea is still kicking around. And having the stadium there might kickstart that project back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Who is footing the bill for the new stadium?
    Taxpayers will surely be footing a good bit, and they will also surely be told that it will pay for itself in benefits, which will surely be false. Why don't we go see how much money Gwinnett made on their stadium...

Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've only driven through Atlanta, but I've read that the transportation/parking situation at Turner is really terrible.
    There is plenty of parking at Turner Field. It just goes on and on... however trying to drive out of the area after the game can be hellacious. And MARTA and Turner Field have had problems from the get go; the best option has often been to get off the train and walk for a mile or two.

That said, I can't imagine how the proposed location will be any better for traffic/parking. Yeah, it's near a major junction, but so is Turner. It's even farther from any extant MARTA line, and the surrounding surface streets can't really handle that load, as currently constructed.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-11-2013), Julio3000 (11-12-2013), Mrs. Meta (11-11-2013)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I've only visited Atlanta a couple of times to go to Braves games (I'm from NYC), but it didn't seem like anyone used the MARTA line besides inner city folks who couldn't afford to own a car or didn't need one. I know I'm making a generalization and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I take the NYC subway every single day and I notice a much wider demographic of people using it than I did on MARTA. I used MARTA over 10 times when I was down there.
    Your not far off with your assumption.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krovahn View Post
    Awesome! Hopefully this move will increase attendance and the overall atmosphere of the team. I see this being a very good move.
    No question. If attendance increases as I expect it will, we may see the Braves become a large market team. Unless you are intimately familiar with the situation you have no idea how much of a positive impact this will have.

Only problem I have, I live in Western NC and my son lives in Peachtree City. It will be really difficult for me to justify buying the ticket packages I am used to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    White, suburban population centers have consistently opposed MARTA expanding to them because then the scary black people would come rob them*. That's why only inner city folks use it: it doesn't go to a bunch of places where people actually live. Where it goes, people actually use it. I grew up lily-white in Decatur, worked for years as a car-owner in Midtown, and used MARTA quite often.

*that may not be the verbatim reason given

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (11-12-2013)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post

I wonder what kind of renovations JS was talking about that would be that expensive. The stadium still looks nice to me.
    Not sure what all they want done except that one thing is an additional 5000 parking spaces that they've been trying to get for a few years now.

I wonder what will happen with the Ted for the next 3 years now? No incentive at all for Atlanta to take care of it and do any upgrades or maintenance. Then after 3 years what to do with it then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Anyone else hoping they keep the Turner Field name? I'd hate for it to have a corporate handle.

Also hope they relocate Hank Aaron Drive.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Not sure what all they want done except that one thing is an additional 5000 parking spaces that they've been trying to get for a few years now.

I wonder what will happen with the Ted for the next 3 years now? No incentive at all for Atlanta to take care of it and do any upgrades or maintenance. Then after 3 years what to do with it then?
    As a landlord, the City is required to keep it in decent shape, though they clearly won't be doing any upgrades.

Unless there are hopes of a future olympic bid (which has been rumored), I can't imagine any solution other than tearing it down. It's not like the Gwinnett Braves will be moving south.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Anyone else hoping they keep the Turner Field name? I'd hate for it to have a corporate handle.

Also hope they relocate Hank Aaron Drive.
    If it means a couple big FA signings, I'm all for a corporate handle.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graffy For This Useful Post:

CK86 (11-11-2013), Hawk (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Personally, I think this sucks. Traffic will still be a bitch, public transit will be worse, and I'll have to go to Cobb *shudder*. The only real benefit is that Braves' fans won't have be terrified by the poor black people near the current stadium. Turner Field is still a very nice stadium. I'd rather the team spend that $200 mil on the team.

That's just me, though. I think a majority of fans probably live north of the city, so this will probably be an improvement for most people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    I want to echo Crimson's question. For those of us who followed the team through TBS and never lived in the Atlanta area, what does this mean? How does Cobb County compare? And, um, what the hell is Cobb County?
    That area near Turner Field is extremely dangerous and one of the roughest areas in the entire south east. It is full of crime and drugs no place paying fans want to take the family. It's not even a safe place during the broad day light let alone for night games. I applaud the move but wish it were in a better location like say Gwinnett. Unfortunately the Gwinnett Braves are in the perfect location as it is only a couple of miles from the Mall of Georgia but Gwinnett is the richest county in Georgia.