Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    Personally, I think this sucks. Traffic will still be a bitch, public transit will be worse, and I'll have to go to Cobb *shudder*. The only real benefit is that Braves' fans won't have be terrified by the poor black people near the current stadium. Turner Field is still a very nice stadium. I'd rather the team spend that $200 mil on the team.

That's just me, though. I think a majority of fans probably live north of the city, so this will probably be an improvement for most people.
    Yep. It will upset people who live south of town or near Turner field, but this will help the majority and will improve attendance. Only having 42,000 seats will help too.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Anyone else hoping they keep the Turner Field name? I'd hate for it to have a corporate handle.

Also hope they relocate Hank Aaron Drive.
    I honestly hope they don't keep the name. Turner Field is just that, Turner field, their current home... this new place will never be that. I also hope for no corporate influence on the name either...

I'd love a 'plain' "Braves Field" name to be attached; or at least something of the like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Personally, I think this sucks. Traffic will still be a bitch, public transit will be worse, and I'll have to go to Cobb *shudder*. The only real benefit is that Braves' fans won't have be terrified by the poor black people near the current stadium. Turner Field is still a very nice stadium. I'd rather the team spend that $200 mil on the team.

That's just me, though. I think a majority of fans probably live north of the city, so this will probably be an improvement for most people.
    I think you're jumping the gun a bit on the traffic thing. JS specifically mentioned that one of the main reasons for the move was to solve the traffic problem. Don't you think the Braves and Cobb County will come up with a solid traffic plan in three years? Also, it sounds like they really want to make this area a place people will really want to go to, so I'm guessing they'll get some public transport at some point. Of course most fans in the urban sprawl of Atlanta drive to the game anyway.

Maybe it's not good for you, but public transportation from Thailand to Atlanta would be too expensive.
    thank you weso1!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Chick Fil A stadium

Home Depot Field

Coca Cola Park

Delta Stadium

Let's hope it's the latter.
    thank you weso1!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts

Honestly, my first thought was could they not just renovate the area and run the MARTA line directly to the stadium? Seems a lot more ideal.

*By renovate, I mean building some shops and restaurants around it, not giving the black people nicer places to live.

Playing the Waiting Game Krovahn's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

This is a horribly racist assumption. It is just appalling.

It isn't about trying to get away from a certain race, it is about trying to get away from an area that not only has poor accessibility, but an area that is high in crime. A certain race =\= crime.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Krovahn For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-11-2013)

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Chick Fil A stadium

Home Depot Field

Coca Cola Park

Delta Stadium

Let's hope it's the latter.
    Waffle House House?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaneHill For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-11-2013), jpx7 (11-11-2013), zedsdead (11-11-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krovahn View Post

It isn't about trying to get away from a certain race, it is about trying to get away from an area that not only has poor accessibility, but an area that is high in crime. A certain race =\= crime.
    No offense, but have you ever been to Atlanta?

Edit: Then I think you would understand the joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    I honestly hope they don't keep the name. Turner Field is just that, Turner field, their current home... this new place will never be that. I also hope for no corporate influence on the name either...

I'd love a 'plain' "Braves Field" name to be attached; or at least something of the like.
    What is the story about why our current stadium is named Turner Field? Did Ted Turner finance it? I was under the impression it was built for the Olympics, did he pay to have his name attached, or because he was owner at the time did he get that luxury for free for the duration of the stadium?

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Don't you think the Braves and Cobb County will come up with a solid traffic plan in three years?
    No.

Maybe it's not good for you, but public transportation from Thailand to Atlanta would be too expensive.
    THANKS OBAMA.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Metaphysicist For This Useful Post:

gamecock4braves (11-11-2013), jpx7 (11-11-2013)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    "the Braves plan to sell stadium naming rights to a corporation"

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/99...bb-county-2017

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Most of Cobb County is gross; it's where you live if you are scared of cities and black people, but still want to trick people and tell them you live in Atlanta. Historically, it's where the Cherokee Nation was until we Trail of Tears'd them, so it's got that going for it. But this location is right on the perimeter, so it's not really all that far "outside" the city.

Part of the T-SPLOST that got voted down, if I recall correctly, was a rail line up I-75 right to this location. Even though that didn't pass, I would imagine that idea is still kicking around. And having the stadium there might kickstart that project back to life.

Taxpayers will surely be footing a good bit, and they will also surely be told that it will pay for itself in benefits, which will surely be false. Why don't we go see how much money Gwinnett made on their stadium...

There is plenty of parking at Turner Field. It just goes on and on... however trying to drive out of the area after the game can be hellacious. And MARTA and Turner Field have had problems from the get go; the best option has often been to get off the train and walk for a mile or two.

That said, I can't imagine how the proposed location will be any better for traffic/parking. Yeah, it's near a major junction, but so is Turner. It's even farther from any extant MARTA line, and the surrounding surface streets can't really handle that load, as currently constructed.
    But its north and that's where the fans live. Classic example of bringing your product to the customers, rather than the other way around.

Traffic will still be bad, but it'll be a shorter drive for most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts

The neighborhoods south of Turner Field are terrible. No denying that. But Braves fans don't actually have to go into those places, yet they still engage in rampant pearl-clutching when the "locals" try to sell them **** or talk to them on the way from the parking lot to the stadium.

I'm exaggerating the race issue, but I'm not making it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Anyone else hoping they keep the Turner Field name? I'd hate for it to have a corporate handle.

Also hope they relocate Hank Aaron Drive.
    Not likely, AJC article says they'll be looking for a corporate sponsor. (also says it'll be open air, to answer another question raised). Turner Field will still exist. God know what the City of Atlanta is going to do with it.

Looks to me like the Braves did this quietly so the City wouldn't have a chance to keep them. Which is probably good for both sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stpeteirish View Post
    But its north and that's where the fans live. Classic example of bringing your product to the customers, rather than the other way around.

Traffic will still be bad, but it'll be a shorter drive for most.
    Sure. I didn't say it wouldn't be a shorter trip. I think this location will be better for most current fans. But I don't see how the parking and traffic in that area will be better, and I can easily see it being worse.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Yeah, not sure where all the black people are scary stuff is coming from. As I said, I live in Cobb, and it's roughly 50/50 in the population here.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think the current Turner Field is fine, for all its warts in the surrounding area. But clearly there were rumblings on the inside for it to reach this point. I wasn't even aware the Braves are only leasing the place.

I would've been more excited about Gwinnett, if they wanted to move out of Atlanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post
    Yeah, not sure where all the black people are scary stuff is coming from. As I said, I live in Cobb, and it's roughly 50/50 in the population here.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think the current Turner Field is fine, for all its warts in the surrounding area. But clearly there were rumblings on the inside for it to reach this point. I wasn't even aware the Braves are only leasing the place.

I would've been more excited about Gwinnett, if they wanted to move out of Atlanta.
    My impression is that Cobb County is overwhelmingly white.

And its wrong (edit) 30% black according to Wikipedia. 60% white, 10% other.
    Last edited by stpeteirish; 11-11-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmykayak View Post
    As I said, I live in Cobb, and it's roughly 50/50 in the population here.
    LOL, no it isn't. Maybe in your specific neighborhood; that could be possible.

The "black people are scary" is coming from every MARTA-going-north discussion from the past 30 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Probably gonna be a bear to use that ticket stub to get in the Cheetah from now on.
    Ivermectin Man

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (11-11-2013)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Considering we're owned by Liberty Media...

Let's hope they'd call it Liberty Field, instead of Liberty Media Stadium.
    Forever Fredi