Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Braves are moving to Cobb County

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Maybe I should have been more specific, lol. I live in the Cumberland/Vinings area, and my apartment complex is almost on that map. And there are just as many black people around here as white people. So in terms of the whole county, I suppose it could be mostly white. But in terms of where the stadium will actually be? Lots of diversity.

As I've said, though, I would kind of prefer the Braves to not come here, unless they're doing massive changes to the road systems, and expanding MARTA to come here.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I remember a few weeks ago after we lost there was ana rticle about Marta building a direct line to Turner from the Five Points I think.

Guess the city kind of had a feeling we were gonna do this and that was a bone thrown at the team, but ultimately Braves said F-U.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Considering we're owned by Liberty Media...

Let's hope they'd call it Liberty Field, instead of Liberty Media Stadium.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (11-11-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    This is a great move. I love the fact that the stadium capacity will be smaller as well. I think a 50K+ stadium is a mistake for any fanbase in the current day.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Guess we could ask Rico this question but considering how long it takes to get from say Alpharetta to Turner Field, is Chattanooga now in play for fans and travel time???

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    So starting in 2014 I am going to systematically begin poaching bits and pieces of Turner Field, starting with the urinal cakes in the 755 Club.

Can anybody find me video of the Pizza Hut commercial with (I think) Chipper taking dirt/pieces of Fulton County Stadium with him prior to its demolition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    mmm... cake
    thank you weso1!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

OkieBrave (11-11-2013)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    My step-grandfather and I got mugged after a Braves game once, literally. So, some of those locals are up to no good. Not saying everyone is.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I think the city will work with Bravos to build a MARTA route/line to the stadium in some way.
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I think the city will work with Bravos to build a MARTA route/line to the stadium in some way.
    Agreed. I think this was a core component of the agreement, but is being kept under wraps for the time being because the county will obviously impose some sort of tax to help fund it later down the line.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I always just bite the bullet and pay for parking in an assigned lot (I usually get green).

I've been to many Braves games and never had an issue, mostly just because I make sure to stay around a crowd at all times. My dad (grew up in NYC) always taught me that's the best way to avoid trouble, for the most part. I might be a bit lucky, though.

In fact, the most "action" I've ever seen around the stadium is an employee chasing down a guy selling water outside the gates. That was some good comedy.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    on the bright side, at least we have something to talk about in the off season.

High School Draftee Bravesfan205's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I don't really understand all the talk about how unsafe turner field is. The neighborhoods south of it are rough but there is no reason for fans to go to those areas. I have been to hundreds of games and never seen or heard of anyone being mugged/robbed. I go to school a mile away from the stadium and have made the walk countless times and survived. I get that there are no bars or good transport around the stadium but I don't understand the safety issue

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    From my stand point, as a person who doesn't like to go to the stadium for safety concerns. I've never really felt unsafe at or on the stadium property. My problem has always been getting there. I park at the Hamilton e. Homes station and take the train. My problem of not feeling safe is on the train ride, not at the stadium. I've seen and experienced threats and people trying to start trouble for no reason. Drunks riding the trains, puking on the trains, and starting trouble just because they think you might have looked at them. Not an environment I feel ok with going into, but once I'm at the stadium, I don't feel threatened.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Agreed. I think this was a core component of the agreement, but is being kept under wraps for the time being because the county will obviously impose some sort of tax to help fund it later down the line.
    Like I said earlier, the announcement a few weeks ago MARTA was planning to build a direct line to the TED may have been a bone thrown at the Braves to try and keep them at Turner, but ultimately the Braves said no. But I think the city of Atlanta would look bad if they weren't going to accomodate the Braves at all considering how much the team means to the City (easily the most popular team in the city, maybe only 2nd in the state behind UGA), so I think the least they can do is figure out how to build a viable form of a train line to the new stadium.
    Forever Fredi

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't see this at all. They are moving up there for the fans north of the city. Those folks aren't going to be using MARTA. Combined with the fact that Cobb County hates the idea of MARTA, I don't see it happening. Though I'd love to be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    From my stand point, as a person who doesn't like to go to the stadium for safety concerns. I've never really felt unsafe at or on the stadium property. My problem has always been getting there. I park at the Hamilton e. Homes station and take the train. My problem of not feeling safe is on the train ride, not at the stadium. I've seen and experienced threats and people trying to start trouble for no reason. Drunks riding the trains, puking on the trains, and starting trouble just because they think you might have looked at them. Not an environment I feel ok with going into, but once I'm at the stadium, I don't feel threatened.
    Like I mentioned in an earlier post I've only been to Atlanta a couple of times and attended less than 10 games, but I'm very observant of my surroundings and I didn't see any threats in the immediate area of the stadium. Now if you take MARTA late at night, and if you hang around the 5 Points station specifically, I could see how there could be issues. I was with my fiance who IS black, and she didn't feel safe at all. This is coming from a person like her who works in Harlem in NYC, which is not considered a safe area by any means, and she feels safer in Harlem.

I just can't imagine a ton of people using Marta traveling long distances, especially because of the safety concerns mentioned by many on here.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysicist View Post
    I don't see this at all. They are moving up there for the fans north of the city. Those folks aren't going to be using MARTA. Combined with the fact that Cobb County hates the idea of MARTA, I don't see it happening. Though I'd love to be wrong.
    Cobb may hate the idea of MARTA, but they love the idea of having the Braves even more.

Braves probably didn't want to alienate the entire fanbase (they're making this move for the majority of their fans buying tickets, not the fan base itself), so perhaps part of the agreement was to have a single line to and from the stadium. So those in the other sections of Atlanta still have a viable way of getting to the game.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    I may be the only one to say this but good riddance to TED!

That stadium is cursed. We haven't really had a homefield advantage there when we need it (playoffs).

The downside is now when they do a panoramic exterior shot of the stadium, you won't be able to see the downtown Atlanta skyline that well anymore.
    Forever Fredi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (11-11-2013)

Not Actually Brian Hunter Metaphysicist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Cobb may hate the idea of MARTA, but they love the idea of having the Braves even more.
    And there is no indication that they need to accept the one to get the other.