Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    I moved out of the ATL area in 2001, what has changed. I remember the team drawing well the the 90's. Surely the team has had a 3 million fan season at Turner Field. Is the traffic that bad. Also, there is no area in Atlanta that is as rough as Detroit, South Philly, or the Bronx.
    The traffic is really bad on gamenights.

It may take you almost an hour to get to the stadium in traffic, then once oyu get on the exit it may take another 30-40 minutes to park.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I hear Fredi is doing everything he can to get a short porch at third for Schafer and Constanza.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    The Braves kind of pride themselves in being a classic-traditional franchise with a touch of modern taste.

I hope the ballpark concepts will make it look retro, with modern touches. I don't want it to look outrageous like a Marlins Park, Citi Field, or bland like Nationals Park. Like Okie said, the Camden/Arlington look, looks pretty nice and it'd be useful since the Atlanta skyline is no longer in play. They should be able to make it look much prettier with 10k less capacity. New Yankee Stadium still kind of has a classic look to it, despite the fact it looks really not that much like Old Yankee Stadium.

I'd imagine the Braves may even try to go back for the Biggest HD scoreboard record they had before other stadiums eclipsed theirs. It'd be tough to topple the Jerrytron in Dallas, but if Schuerholz says this is gonna be a marvelous new facility, I wouldn't put it past them to try it.
    Why is Citi Field outrageous? That's the prime example of a modern-throwback stadium. Not sure if you've ever been there, but it's one of the best stadiums in the league to watch a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Something else not mentioned, but there's speculation we could potentially rebrand. It's in the latest Talking Chop article. Don't see how this would be a good idea:

Finally, there's even some speculation that the team may not be the Atlanta Braves after the move, and no they wouldn't be changing to the Marietta Braves as some have jokingly stated on twitter, but rather changing the team's name, mascot and logo, from the AJC's political reporters: "Could it be a chance also to rebrand the Braves' image? The scuttlebutt among some politicos is that the team may also look to change their logo amid the move."

http://www.talkingchop.com/2013/11/1...ium/in/4855719

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Mayor Reed is saying it's 'not a done deal.' He's giving a press conference at 10:30AM EST -- streamed on WSBTV.com.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-12-2013), The Chosen One (11-12-2013)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    From this morning's AJC:

Utz [ATL deputy COO] said Mike Plant, Braves vice president of operations, pulled him aside in one of the earliest conversations and said the team would leave unless the city complied with its requests.

“We said we can’t negotiate under this threat of blackmail; rather than make threats, why not talk instead about what we can jointly accomplish and find a route that isn’t based on blackmail?” Utz said.

Those negotiations stalled, Utz said, because the Braves wanted to engage on both sides of the process, to set parameters of the development and then to choose the developer — a role city officials deemed a conflict of interest.

But we're told the Braves privately contend that the stiff-arm came from the other direction. At one of their meetings this spring, we’re told, Utz looked at a frustrated Plant and said, “It’s not as if you can move anywhere.”

Plant was a member of the 1980 Olympic U.S. speed-skating team. That encounter, we’re told, is what set Plant’s competitive juices flowing and prompted the outreach to Cobb County. And it’s likely to become a part of Braves lore.

Daddy Mike Plant, me like.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Mayor Reed is saying it's 'not a done deal.' He's giving a press conference at 10:30AM EST -- streamed on WSBTV.com.
    This whole thing has sounded fishy TBH. THe fact that it was kept under wraps so much.

The website looks kind of half-assed to be honest, and what's weird is usually when tehre's a stadium announcement like this, there's usually pre-designed concept drawings to reveal during the announcement. Perhaps this Cobb County announcement was used as leverage to get the city to get off its ass and do something?

Is it possible JS and Co. staged this as a bluff to get Reed and the city to make a move?
    Forever Fredi

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    This whole thing has sounded fishy TBH. THe fact that it was kept under wraps so much.

The website looks kind of half-assed to be honest, and what's weird is usually when tehre's a stadium announcement like this, there's usually pre-designed concept drawings to reveal during the announcement. Perhaps this Cobb County announcement was used as leverage to get the city to get off its ass and do something?

Is it possible JS and Co. staged this as a bluff to get Reed and the city to make a move?
    I have been thinking the same thing. It's definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. I could have made that website in less than one hour (they used a lightly modified WordPress theme.)

That being said, I see the Braves' angle if this was just a case of posturing -- but what about Cobb County? Wouldn't this make them look like absolute asshats if the Braves were to back out? Political suicide.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    Why is Citi Field outrageous? That's the prime example of a modern-throwback stadium. Not sure if you've ever been there, but it's one of the best stadiums in the league to watch a game.
    Maybe you're right. Maybe it's just because I don't like the Mets at all.

To be honest, as much as people rag on Shea Stadium for looking like a dump, I actually liked it as a baseball grounds. It had a certain charm to it. With Yankee STadium, they at least tried to bring back some of the heritage of the old Yankee Stadium when constructing it. Citi-Field from what I've seen on TV, does not resemble or pay homage Shea Stadium not the slightest.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I have been thinking the same thing. It's definitely not outside of the realm of possibility. I could have made that website in less than one hour (they used a lightly modified WordPress theme.)

That being said, I see the Braves' angle if this was just a case of posturing -- but what about Cobb County? Wouldn't this make them look like absolute asshats if the Braves were to back out? Political suicide.
    Probably, but Cobb County is still considered part of the Metro Atlanta area right?

Cobb County probably did this, because the Braves were actually serious about it but Cobb officials didn't want it, so they said they'd help any other way? I mean if Cobb didn't want MARTA, why would they want the Braves which would cause just as much of a traffic log in their area?
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Reed probably doesn't want a second team under his term to leave the city...
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Anyone who lives in that area knows that is a terrible location for a stadium! Traffic trying to get to a 7:00 game with no public transportation is gonna be horrific!
    Sort of like it is at Turner Field?
    I live in the area and I disagree. Everyone seems to be discounting the fact that moves like this aren't made without some idea of how to improve things like this. I highly doubt there won't be improvements made to help the flow of traffic...

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    The Braves kind of pride themselves in being a classic-traditional franchise with a touch of modern taste.

I hope the ballpark concepts will make it look retro, with modern touches. I don't want it to look outrageous like a Marlins Park, Citi Field, or bland like Nationals Park. Like Okie said, the Camden/Arlington look, looks pretty nice and it'd be useful since the Atlanta skyline is no longer in play. They should be able to make it look much prettier with 10k less capacity. New Yankee Stadium still kind of has a classic look to it, despite the fact it looks really not that much like Old Yankee Stadium.

I'd imagine the Braves may even try to go back for the Biggest HD scoreboard record they had before other stadiums eclipsed theirs. It'd be tough to topple the Jerrytron in Dallas, but if Schuerholz says this is gonna be a marvelous new facility, I wouldn't put it past them to try it.
    There's no reason to have the world's biggest jumbotron. That money could be much better allocated elsewhere.

To me the biggest keys to a successful stadium is

1. Access. Parking and Public Transportation. Obviously the latter is potentially the biggest issue for the Braves. I've spent a lot of time at both Citizen's Bank Park and Camden Yards, both are great at handling both of those situations from what I've heard (we walked to the Orioles games though I just chatted up a few fans)

2. Food. Turner field seemed to finally be moving in that direction. Ballpark staples of hotdogs, peanuts, fries, popcorn, and ice cream are fine and dandy but the most successful ball parks have that and add in local food as well. I think the additions of Waffle House, Holeman & Finch, etc. But I think they can kick it up just a little more as well. Another thing that both CBP and Camden Yards have and does well is basically an area for Food and Beverage. Rather than trying to hunt down where something awesome is, most unique eats in Philly are in Ashburn Alley. (Cox COrridor anyone?) where you'll find TOny Luke's, Campo's and Chickie and Pete's and other things of course. The key is blending that type of place with cool places elsewhere for people who don't want to wait in large crowds.

3. Beer. can't vouch on how many beers from each brewer but these were the craft beers on tap at Turner Abita Brewing Company, Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Sweetwater Brewing Company. That's freaking pathetic. Compare it to a park that's generally regarded as the best if not one of the best in the nation in PNC Park 21st Amendment Brewery, Brooklyn Brewery, Church Brew Works, Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales, East End Brewing Company, Erie Brewing Co., Flying Dog Brewing Company, Harpoon Brewery, Lagunitas Brewing Co., Pennsylvania Brewing Co., Samuel Adams, Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Stone Brewing Co., Tröegs Brewing Company Now I know that availability because of shipping is an issue. and of course beer sselection alone doesn't make a great park. But some Breweries I know distribute to the Atlanta area that I've found with minimal research. Allagash, Boulder, Boulevard, Dogfish Head, Founders, Great Divide, Green Flash, New Holland, and Victory. Any one of those would be a catch. At the absolute minimum. Add Terrapin and Red Brick to up your Georgia presence. It does vary market to market but based on what I've read Atlanta is a market on the rise (or already great I forget) for craft beer. So give fans some choice at the stadiums. Obviously BMC will sell the best at the stadium as it does in real like but better food and beverage options are a must for return customers.

4. Seating. The magic number seems to be in about the 40K area.

5. Things for the kids. Pretty wide grouping here but keeping kids entertained and not whining to their parents is huge. So giftshops, games, etc. are all musts.

There are most things but those things pop out as things that certainly help. Some charm that some stadiums have cannot be replicated, like the Green Monster, the stadiums built on Rivers, etc. So you shouldn't overly focus on that an instead focus on the overall fan experience.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2013), jpx7 (11-12-2013), NYCBrave (11-12-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts
    This is getting interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chopdrew View Post
    Sort of like it is at Turner Field?
    I live in the area and I disagree. Everyone seems to be discounting the fact that moves like this aren't made without some idea of how to improve things like this. I highly doubt there won't be improvements made to help the flow of traffic...
    The Ted is brutal on traffic. It can't possibly be worse. Agree on the above.

I know a move isn't necessary, but damn the food at Turner Field has a history of being awful. It has gained steam lately, but its traditionally been terrible. I'd love to have something we are known for. A good hot dog is a must. They are terrible at Turner.
    Ivermectin Man

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Of the two, between the city of Atlanta, and the Braves, I'm inclined to believe the Braves' side of the story.

I mean, just think about it. How do the Braves benefit from lying about dragging their feet on improving the area surrounding the Ted? It's in their best interests to try and make the surrounding area friendlier for fans. Everything about this smells of a city government that's either too inept to be of any help, or simply doesn't care. Given that this has been an issue for almost 20 years, I'm inclined to think the latter.

Everything Atlanta seems to be doing reeks of a CYA kind of move.

But it is a good point about the website... if they already have a dollar figure, why haven't we seen any drawings of what the proposed stadium will look like?

This could easily be the Braves just strongarming the city and showing that they have leverage, whereas before this I'm sure the local government thought that they didn't have any.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Anyone else wish they'd build on the site of the Georgia Dome when it gets demolished? Then we'd both pro teams plus the Hawks in one mega sports area, with two MARTA stations, and a load of incentive to keep developing the area around the Congress Center.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    On my phone posting at work, any news on the Reed Presser?
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Anyone else wish they'd build on the site of the Georgia Dome when it gets demolished? Then we'd both pro teams plus the Hawks in one mega sports area, with two MARTA stations, and a load of incentive to keep developing the area around the Congress Center.
    Would be nice, I mentioned before the Falcons made their announcement the benefits of having a super complex for parking. Building up the surrounding area is hardly the most important thing if there's plenty of parking. The area around the Philly stadiums is certainly nothing to write home about. But you don't see it from 95
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-12-2013)