Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Braves extent Ozzie!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The agents involved being afraid they were going to lose these clients to other agencies influenced their negotiating tactics, to the detriment of the players.

The fact we know is Albies agreed to a contract that horribly undervalued him. Based on that data we can draw the conclusion that he doesn't know much about the economics of MLB. So no, compared to established agents and MLB FO professionals with advanced degrees in finance, he isn't a "big boy".

Why he didn't understand it isn't the point...that was his agent's job...and his agent failed him in order to cash in while he could.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Albies could have told them to get it done and that was the Braves best offer. The timing with the Acuna deal makes me wonder if that influenced his willingness.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-12-2019), jpx7 (04-12-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Here's the breakdown.

2019: $1M
    2020:$1M
    2021: $3M
    2022: $5M
    2023:$7M
    2024:$7M
    2025: $7M
    2026: $7Mclub option/$4M buyout.
    2027: $7M option

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    He’s a victim of being exploited by an agent and team who had their interests in mind over Ozzie’s.

Obviously “being a victim” has orders of magnitude, and making $35M instead of $100M is pretty far down the scale of victimhood.

As usual, the nuance of the discussion is lost on the less intelligent folks spewing ignorant takes like “hey, he’s still rich so shut up”. If a widow sells her $100M ranch for $35M because her financial management team wanted to get their cut before she switched representation, she would still be a victim despite “being rich anyways”.
    I mean fine. If this is an issue really important to you then go ahead and champion the rights of the player. I just can’t get all that worked up about someone being underpaid that’s worth 35 million.

Now if we want to discuss minor league pay, amateur drafts, etc. then I’m glad to play ball. That’s a more relatable struggle for me

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I mean it's all relative. Oz is set for life as well as his family.

Imagine being top 5 in your profession in your field, and being paid almost 70% below market value for your productivity/worth. I can be happy about this deal but still wish Ozzie got more.

I'm just still a bit perturbed that Ozzie signed for 60% less than Ronald's deal which I thought he'd at least get 60 million minimum.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel sorry for a guy who just made more money than I will ever see in my entire lifetime 5 times over. I’m not trying to make him out as some sort of charity case that we need to organize a car wash to fundraise for him.

As much as a multimillionaire can be exploited and still be a multimillionaire, that’s how he was exploited. It obviously doesn’t even register on the scale of crappiness compared to folks in really bad situations.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Albies and Kimbrel have the same agent if that explains anything.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slippyjms For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (04-13-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    The player has the right to sign for less money as well as for top dollar. If the union wants to make some concessions on these long term guaranteed contracts to free agents that Melvin it up then we can talk about helping the players on the lower end.

I have heard some of these poor latin players dont even have the concept of a million dollars when they sign their initial contracts. Might be like someone offering us a Trillion dollars. You take that deal I dont care what your selling because thats just an inconceivable amount of money to us. I wonder how Jose Fernandez's family feels about waiting for top dollar.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 04-13-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    The player has the right to sign for less money as well as for top dollar. If the union wants to make some concessions on these long term guaranteed contracts to free agents that Melvin it up then we can talk about helping the players on the lower end.

I have heard some of these poor latin players dont even have the concept of a million dollars when they sign their initial contracts. Might be like someone offering us a Trillion dollars. You take that deal I dont care what your selling because thats just an inconceivable amount of money to us. I wonder how Jose Fernandez's family feels about waiting for top dollar.
    Again, for the 50th time because folks keep making this same flawed and ignorant point...

A player can still get life changing money without selling his entire career at a 50% bargain.

I’m unclear why folks can’t seem to grasp this very simple idea.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    people tend to forget Albies suffered a pretty serious injury to his elbow not that long ago so he is aware how fragile time playing MLB might be

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    AA should be ashamed that he agreed to this deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    Albies and Kimbrel have the same agent if that explains anything.
    conflict of interest if you ask me...gave the braves a discount on Albies so they would offer more to Kimbrel

#4dchess
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel sorry for a guy who just made more money than I will ever see in my entire lifetime 5 times over. I’m not trying to make him out as some sort of charity case that we need to organize a car wash to fundraise for him.

As much as a multimillionaire can be exploited and still be a multimillionaire, that’s how he was exploited. It obviously doesn’t even register on the scale of crappiness compared to folks in really bad situations.
    No disagreement from me here.

I think I was just reacting to the general brewing counter reaction that the Braves unfairly took advantage of Albies. At some level, the players need to be held accountable for their own mistake (and I don’t think Albies necessarily made a mistake here).

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    The agents involved being afraid they were going to lose these clients to other agencies influenced their negotiating tactics, to the detriment of the players.

The fact we know is Albies agreed to a contract that horribly undervalued him. Based on that data we can draw the conclusion that he doesn't know much about the economics of MLB. So no, compared to established agents and MLB FO professionals with advanced degrees in finance, he isn't a "big boy".

Why he didn't understand it isn't the point...that was his agent's job...and his agent failed him in order to cash in while he could.
    I don’t think this is true. He has lindor and kimbrel. Both have turned down lots of money.

I think the agent didn’t do a good job here. At the very least the option years should not exist or be at least double.

I think this is about leverage. The braves had him for years. They know he is comfortable here. They know he loves acuna. They know he’s not likely to be a big arb guy. He’s had a major injury. More pressure on the bat at 2b.
    He signed for 350k and was in the minors for years.

The difference between 35 and 70 for him may have no bearing on his life. That’s what billionaires can do.

To me there has to be some mechanism where owners agree to pay 50 percent of revenues to the players. After guaranteed deals are paid out then the rest of that money should have a way of going to guys who are out performing their deals.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Again, for the 50th time because folks keep making this same flawed and ignorant point...

A player can still get life changing money without selling his entire career at a 50% bargain.

I’m unclear why folks can’t seem to grasp this very simple idea.
    The idea is simple but it’s not in real life.

Passans book the arm has a story of a guy opening up his email after Tommy John and staring at the extension he turned down.

We thought Julio’s deal was a steal and it’s not. There have been deals like this that work out for the player.

There’s too much leverage.
    The teams can make gigantic money forever.
    The players can make money from 16-40 and for most its 21-29 at best. They have to make below minimum wage in the minors.

The players are one 90 plus fastball away from never being the same player. Ozzie is one leg issue from losing a ton of value.

Then Ozzie is in the majors as a young guy watching guys flash cash. He has to wait before he can bang girls in a Bentley?

These deals should change the family tree of these guys.

Braves saving 100 million is big. Acuna life will not change from 100 million to 300 million.

I get not wanting to guarantee deals with older guys pulling Chris Davis or pujos stuff.

Teams have to pay minor league guys money. And there has to be a way to get more money to players without gigantic long term deals.