Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
Does a 21 year old kid know that his agent is acting in bad faith? I would say no. I assume he trusts his agent to get the best deal and it's certainly possible, even probable, that his agent tried to hammer out a quick agreement and presented that as the best deal, rather than risk losing Ozzie to a bigger agency.
That may have happened. But I feel confident that most 22-year-olds know enough to at least get an idea of what other players are getting. They may trust their agent to some extent, but they also probably do at least some very basic research on their own.

Maybe he trusted his agent completely, and that would be a bad decision on his part. Or maybe he said the most important things to him were that he gained financial security and stayed in Atlanta and was vocal about that to the Braves himself. If that's the case, he obviously loses leverage. It sounds like Ozzie's side was very motivated to get a deal done (both him and his agent), and the Braves benefited. But I'm not sure what the Braves did wrong here. Their job is to get the best possible deal for the organization. They did that, and then some. It helped them that Ozzie's agent seems bad, but it also helped them that he appeared to really want to secure a deal quickly.

I'm ok with saying it's possible he was taken advantage of. I am not ok with saying that's clearly what happened. That's where you veer into iffy territory.