Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves extent Ozzie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    These kids are going to end up resenting the braves. Be careful to celebrate too much right now.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (04-11-2019), jpx7 (04-11-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    that's an interesting take too.

As to the options years being ridiculous. Again I think Acuna and Albies are a tuned to the realities of the Atlanta market, and the reality that the Braves will never have a top 10 payroll. I think they like winning and want to make sure the Braves can afford to keep that happening. It's possible these are some of the discussions that happened during negotiations.
    Albies and Acuna are 21 year olds with questionable command of the English language who aren't attuned to the realities of anything.

Their agents cashed in while they could, even if it meant scuttling the earning potential of these guys.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Some interesting comparisons

"For comparison’s sake, Scooter Gennett earned $18MM over this three arb years despite not breaking out until he was in his first arbitration season. Jonathan Schoop, who was non-tendered after his second arb season, will earn $19.475MM across his three arb seasons."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Albies and Acuna are 21 year olds with questionable command of the English language who aren't attuned to the realities of anything.

Their agents cashed in while they could, even if it meant scuttling the earning potential of these guys.
    the agents certainly did not act in a fiduciary manner. that's a fact.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    The Braves may have the 2 most valuable assets in the game right now.
    I just said this to Jeff Passan on twitter. I can't think of two players with more surplus value than these two right now. Honestly, I can't think of two players that even come close to this type of value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Dear Lord you guys are cynical.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    For all those who have said "Oh you can't have 10 year long windows and you need to maximize the present".... AA just said suck it lol.
    And maybe part of the deal for the players is being on a really good team during those 10 years. Maybe play in a couple world series with teammates they have gotten close to. That might enter into their thinking.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-11-2019), jpx7 (04-11-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

I think Ozzie is pretty fluent in English. I'm pretty sure he speaks like 4 other languages too. But you are right that he is still just 21 and doesn't know anything about anything.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-11-2019), jpx7 (04-11-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts

Ozzie is fluent in 4 languages, one of them being English.

That being said, I'm starting to think someone is taking advantage of them. Acuna not wanting to pass on 100 million is one thing, Ozzie not passing on 35 is something else.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    They’re in the big leagues and have been for a little while now. They have been around big league players and personnel some of whom speak Spanish. I also suspect they speak some English even if they prefer not to speak it in interviews. They may have signed deals that were favorable to the team but I doubt they didn’t understand what they were doing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

Jaw (04-11-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Im sure Andruw had some words for his fellow countryman and got him to sign a team friendly deal like he did back in the day.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    And maybe part of the deal for the players is being on a really good team during those 10 years. Maybe play in a couple world series with teammates they have gotten close to. That might enter into their thinking.
    This is something I've been thinking about too. This is probably a stupid thought, but I wonder if the idea of being the two biggest stars on a long term powerhouse entered their mind. Maybe they think that by allowing the Braves to spend more on supplementary players or other stars they will win more. Maybe they think that it'll be good for their popularity and marketing or something like that.

Once again, that is a really dumb thought, but these kids are 21 and maybe AA did a little convincing to that end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    These kids are going to end up resenting the braves. Be careful to celebrate too much right now.
    I think if they end up being consistent 4+ WAR players, the Braves will have to do something. That's a win-win scenario btw.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    They’re in the big leagues and have been for a little while now. They have been around big league players and personnel some of whom speak Spanish. I also suspect they speak some English even if they prefer not to speak it in interviews. They may have signed deals that were favorable to the team but I doubt they didn’t understand what they were doing.
    I've actually been impressed with just how articulate Ozzie has been in his English interviews. He seems like a really smart kid for his age, emphasis on age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Dansbys sittin back thinking right now “I speak perfect English so you MF’ers ain’t gettin over on me” lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    This is something I've been thinking about too. This is probably a stupid thought, but I wonder if the idea of being the two biggest stars on a long term powerhouse entered their mind. Maybe they think that by allowing the Braves to spend more on supplementary players or other stars they will win more. Maybe they think that it'll be good for their popularity and marketing or something like that.

Once again, that is a really dumb thought, but these kids are 21 and maybe AA did a little convincing to that end.
    I'd like to think marketing opportunities that come with being in the playoffs year after year will be something that those two can cash in on.

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think if they end up being consistent 4+ WAR players, the Braves will have to do something. That's a win-win scenario btw.
    Yeah if both of them end up being all stars or superstars, then by year 6 or 7 of the deal the Braves will likely approach them and talk about buying out another couple of years in exchange for more money up front in the last years of these contract.

I'm not worried about any resentment. They entered in to a voluntary contract. Even if there were external factors nudging them to make this decision, this is something that they agreed to and I'm sure that Ozzie is pretty happy at the moment. He just secured his future, even though he's punting tens of millions in potential earnings.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Dansbys sittin back thinking right now “I speak perfect English so you MF’ers ain’t gettin over on me” lol
    "Bitch listen to all these words I know. Erudite. Idiosyncratic. Magnanimous. So you bitch asses better not be parsimonious and give me a cool 50 mil."

This is the conversation that I hope happens.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (04-11-2019), Jaw (04-11-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I think everyone gets it just fine.

They did not have to sign away their entire careers at a 50% discount to get life changing money.

These deals have a bit of a predatory stench to them, if I'm being completely honest.
    Yet if you won the lottery at $50 mil, you would probably lleave $20 mil on the table to get the full payout up front for $30 mil (and not gamble on you living 20 years to get the rest).

Who do you put the blame on? The Braves likely started low (like all teams would), and I imagine they took it. Maybe the agent wanted more but Ozzie said no...take it. Maybe the agent is horrible.

I thinks it’s somewhere in the middle. The Braves were probably surprised they said yes. The agent probably cautioned Ozzie against it as I’d say anyone with half a brain would. In the end it was Ozzie’s decision. No one held a gun to his head, and really if it’s a steal for the Braves and Ozzie is happy it’s win/win.

I’m not saying it’s not a steal...it is highway robbery. Even with a steal contract there are risks with it being that long. Oz isn’t Acuna for sure, but I thought it would be more in the $60 million range.

Both of these guys should get another pretty big contract if all goes well also.

In the end I think both guys wanted to be on this team together.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I'd like to think marketing opportunities that come with being in the playoffs year after year will be something that those two can cash in on.
    Yeah that would be my hope for them as well. They certainly have the personalities to be the face of baseball for years.