Thread: GDT 4/16; On the Menu: CAJUN FRIED SNAKEMEAT.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It should have. But if Touki, wilson, and/or Wright are throwing important innings in the majors out of the pen shouldn’t stunt or impact their growth as a starter. Learning to get MLB guys out in pressure situations might be more valuable than anything in AAA.

if Newk goes it needs to be forever

Newk has been given enough rope at this point where he may need to be transitioned to the bullpen and maybe Wilson also bc he’s the weakest of the big prospects. But with the health so far of Gausman, Folty, and Soroka I’d hold off on moving Touki or Wright out there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    should also be noted that a lot of bullpens are struggling to start the year. bullpens have been really bad.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Newk has been given enough rope at this point where he may need to be transitioned to the bullpen and maybe Wilson also bc he’s the weakest of the big prospects. But with the health so far of Gausman, Folty, and Soroka I’d hold off on moving Touki or Wright out there.

I don't think they gave him much rope at all. If you don't trust him to control whether he throws strikes, not sure how the bullpen is a better option. Seems like you should just see what the Rays will give you and prepare for his eventual transformation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't think they gave him much rope at all. If you don't trust him to control whether he throws strikes, not sure how the bullpen is a better option. Seems like you should just see what the Rays will give you and prepare for his eventual transformation.
    Newk has been given over a year this far and not much has changed with his control and given his age it probably never will. At least in the bullpen he could cut it loose with his fastball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    nothing has changed with newk one little bit since he's been in the majors. well, no good changes, anyway. not sure how much longer you can try him out as a starter.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    nothing has changed with newk one little bit since he's been in the majors. well, no good changes, anyway. not sure how much longer you can try him out as a starter.
    He's had three April starts and one of them was good. And in one of the others he didn't give up a run in 4 innings pitched though he wasn't great.

Last season he produced a good half of baseball with two near no-hitters vs elite offenses.

His BB/9 dropped by a half walk last season.

I'm not crying about it, but he got a quick hook.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 04-17-2019 at 09:10 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    He's had three April starts and one of them was good. And in one of the others he didn't give up a run in 4 innings pitched though he wasn't great.

Last season he produced a good half of baseball with two near no-hitters vs elite offenses.

bad 2nd half, worse spring, isn't striking anyone out, velo down.
    his one "good" game he struck out two guys. the one game he didn't give up a run in...he was very bad, but lucky. his improvement in walk rate from 17 to 18 was also accompanied by a bigger decrease in K rate.
    but most of all, there are simply better options at this point. i assume they'll let him start in the minors and see how he does.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    his one "good" game he struck out two guys. the one game he didn't give up a run in...he was very bad, but lucky. his improvement in walk rate from 17 to 18 was also accompanied by a bigger decrease in K rate.
    but most of all, there are simply better options at this point. i assume they'll let him start in the minors and see how he does.

Like I said, I'm not crying about it. Just noting that it was a quick hook. But seems even more clear now the front office challenge about walks was directed at him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,009 Posts
    You are correct in that we currently have better options, but I think it's fair to say Newk improved from 2017 to 2018. He's been bad so far in 2019. May be it's a mechanical error or injury related. Obviously he still has a lot to improve upon. I don't think a transition to RP right now is smart option given his inability to throw strikes anyways.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    520 Posts

I disagree that it was a quick hook. If he were Teheran you'd be breaking out the whine glasses. The edict all summer was that the pitchers would be held accountable and can't keep walking people.

It's not a death warrant that Newk got sent down but it's clear. Throw strikes and pitch with some aggression. He clearly hasn't done that. Improved from previous versions is an ok thing, but he's got to see Dr. Llewellyn and get some oomph about himself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (04-18-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I disagree that it was a quick hook. If he were Teheran you'd be breaking out the whine glasses. The edict all summer was that the pitchers would be held accountable and can't keep walking people.

It's not a death warrant that Newk got sent down but it's clear. Throw strikes and pitch with some aggression. He clearly hasn't done that. Improved from previous versions is an ok thing, but he's got to see Dr. Llewellyn and get some oomph about himself.

Teheran 4.71 ERA 4.85 FIP 4.29 BB/9
    Newcomb 4.38 ERA 4.28 FIP 5.84 BB/9

Just because you asked.

I think it's a quick hook. It doesn't bother me much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,000 Posts
    Teheran 4.71 ERA 4.85 FIP 4.29 BB/9
    Newcomb 4.38 ERA 4.28 FIP 5.84 BB/9

Just because you asked.

I think it's a quick hook. It doesn't bother me much.
    I think the decision was based almost solely on walks. I think everyone, including the FO is sick of them. lol