Thread: Brett Anderson

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts

Brett Anderson

The A's are looking to possibly trade him if so I really hope the Braves are in on this. When healthy Anderson has Ace potential. Maybe Hale, Gilmartin and Bethancourt for Anderson would work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    The A's are looking to possibly trade him if so I really hope the Braves are in on this. When healthy Anderson has Ace potential. Maybe Hale, Gilmartin and Bethancourt for Anderson would work.
    I've watched Anderson a ton and that is too much for him. He certainly can pitch well when healthy, but he rarely is.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Way too much.

He's only signed for 1 more year i believe so that's a waste.

Just sign a veteran to a 1-yr deal assuming Huddy bolts elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Way too much.

He's only signed for 1 more year i believe so that's a waste.

Just sign a veteran to a 1-yr deal assuming Huddy bolts elsewhere.
    There is an option for 2015, but it isn't a great one.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Anderson has sick talent but he's not pitched a full season. since his rookie year. he's more of an injury train wreck than Rich Harden.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I agree with y'all, that's certainly too much for him. But I also question putting Bethancourt in their trade offers. Now that Mac is all but officially gone, Bethancourt is someone we need to keep. He may not improve a lot on offense, but what he brings defensively (including his great arm) makes him a keeper. I expect Gattis and Bethancourt to be our catchers moving forward.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I agree with y'all, that's certainly too much for him. But I also question putting Bethancourt in their trade offers. Now that Mac is all but officially gone, Bethancourt is someone we need to keep. He may not improve a lot on offense, but what he brings defensively (including his great arm) makes him a keeper. I expect Gattis and Bethancourt to be our catchers moving forward.

I can't imagine Bethancourt is included in any deal that doesn't involve landing an "Ace". Stash him in Gwinnett so he can get regular ABs to start the season and hope he can develop at least a little more offensively - if he does continue to get better, he does become a *ell of a trade chip...if he doesn't, he's the perfect Gattis counterpart for the next 4-5 years.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Jay, put down the bottle of Bacardi 151 or Jagermeister or whatever it is you are imbibing. Anderson has potential to be a solid rotation guy, but outside of one half season, he hasn't gotten within a light year of ace level performance. If the A's want to move him, fine. But if we trade Betancourt after he has finally figured out which end of the bat goes where, we'd be utterly and completely out of our minds.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I can't imagine Bethancourt is included in any deal that doesn't involve landing an "Ace". Stash him in Gwinnett so he can get regular ABs to start the season and hope he can develop at least a little more offensively - if he does continue to get better, he does become a *ell of a trade chip...if he doesn't, he's the perfect Gattis counterpart for the next 4-5 years.
    Bethancourt with a bat makes Gattis a trade Chip. The season he put together in AA at age 21 makes me think Gattis is going to be a heck of a trade chip by the end of this year.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    Bethancourt with a bat makes Gattis a trade Chip. The season he put together in AA at age 21 makes me think Gattis is going to be a heck of a trade chip by the end of this year.
    That's the point though - I think there's a little more offensive upside left in there somewhere with CB, but can't see him approaching Gattis territory. No question which one you keep if he could become a somewhat consistent offensive contributor even if it's without Gattis-level power. Several of us were shouted down a while back when referencing Yadier Molina as a potential CB comp IF the bat developed.

Molina:
    Age 20 season - 2003 (AA): .275/.327/.332/.660
    Age 21 season - 2004 (AAA); .302/.387/.372/.759

Bethancourt:
    Age 20 season - 2012 (AA): .243/.275/.291/.566
    Age 21 season - 2013 (AA): .277/.305/.436/.741

He's definitely a Yadier-level defender, and with continued experience and a little more patience/selectivity I still think he can become a .330-ish OBP guy. If he does that you've got a monster on your hands given his defensive value.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    Bethancourt would need to hit .300 to get a .330 obp. My main concern is putting another bad hitter in the lineup. Bethancourt, bj, Simmons, whoever at 2B, and the pitcher does not equal runs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Would take him for 2 C level prospects, nothing more. Way too injury prone.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Bethancourt would need to hit .300 to get a .330 obp. My main concern is putting another bad hitter in the lineup. Bethancourt, bj, Simmons, whoever at 2B, and the pitcher does not equal runs.

As he stands now, yes. I think Bethancourt's focus this year has to be on learning his strike zone. Not necessarily for more walks, but so he can be more selective in finding a pitch to drive. If he does that the walks will happen. That said, Gattis had an OBP of .291 last year.