it happens quite a bit actually.
    Go for it. Try it for a week.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    racism isn't walking around in a white cloak (anymore). it's become less veiled recently, but is still more veiled than *that.* if the only thing you'd consider racist is someone saying "i hate black people," you're missing basically all of the current racism.
    So racists aren't afraid to let their racist flag fly, but at the same time it has to be a more veiled racism.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Boy this thread really took a turn.

People really want this guy to be a racist
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Boy this thread really took a turn.

People really want this guy to be a racist
    i think some people really don't want him to be. as per usual.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    So racists aren't afraid to let their racist flag fly, but at the same time it has to be a more veiled racism.
    it's more veiled than wearing a KKK robe. i'm not sure what you're struggling with here.
    it's become more open recently.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I don’t know the guy. Couldn’t really comment on it.
    Ivermectin Man

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    I think it’s more classist than racist, tbh—the poors can’t count, and such—though obviously thanks to history class and race are bound up.

But more than anything, past any labelling, it’s just dumb: like I said upthread, it’s very easy to say, you know, the real value of $35 million is actually pretty circumstantial and subjective, despite the seeming concreteness of numbers. There’s no reason to resort to condescending to the kid or denigrating his intelligence, awareness, or counting acumen.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

weso1 (04-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    it's more veiled than wearing a KKK robe. i'm not sure what you're struggling with here.
    it's become more open recently.
    No, people are finding more and more racist dog whistles. That's what's changing. I think that's kind of what you are arguing in a way. Veiled racism can be pretty subjective. People are just looking out for it more or deciding that something questionable is in fact racism. People aren't giving the benefit of the doubt to others as much these days.

But in regards to the way society views racists, just look at what's going on. Statues are being taken down, dead singers are being banned. Academics like Charles Murray can barely step foot on campus. Racism is clearly becoming less and less acceptable in society, imo.

So the take that people are being more openly racist is just absurd. Try it out for a week and see what happens to you.
    thank you weso1!

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    By the way, everyone I met in Curacao was fluently trilingual - English, Dutch, and Papiamento. Curacao is not typically a Spanish speaking country, but most can communicate in Spanish, because Papiamento borrows from Spanish, in part.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

mossy (04-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Considering I said something extremely ignorant along the lines of "Albies probably doesn't speak English well enough to understand what he signed", I can't really get to frenzied over this kind of comment.

Folks are trying to articulate the idea that Albies was taken advantage of a bit on his deal, and the way they state as much often comes out in ignorant ways that they would probably revise if given the chance.
    Albies absolutely was taken advantage of. The Braves leveraged his humble background, lack of large signing bonus, and likely his desire to support the rest of his family into getting him to take a guaranteed contract for a lot of money but for way less money than he deserved. They absolutely took advantage of him. I love that I'm going to get to see Ozzie play for years to come but I'm not proud of the way this deal was done.

I think where problems start is when people see a deal like this and assume something nefarious must have happened. There must be a lack of intelligence or understanding that the Braves took advantage of. The Braves must have colluded with his agent to pull the wool over Ozzie's eyes. Since it's a deal they would never have taken, the only justification is that Ozzie didn't know what he was doing.

When you consider the other pressures Ozzie was under, you see how he could have taken this deal knowing full well he could get more. It's still distasteful that the Braves would use his humble background as leverage but it's not implying Ozzie is stupid like this guy did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Is it really that difficult to say: $35 million potentially means something different and more substantial to a 22-year-old from Curaçao whose family lost their father at age-40—especially relative to someone like, say, Alex Bregman, whose parents are both attorneys in the US? Not sure how that’s so much harder than fumbling into: this brown kid doesn’t understand 85>35. Like, for real: nuance can be hard; but, in this case, it’s not that hard.
    fwiw at his press conference Albies showed he speaks very good English and can express himself better than most Americans his age
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The more important question: is Albies a 20 HR hitter on a steady basis.

"I am your retribution."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-25-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    fwiw at his press conference Albies showed he speaks very good English and can express himself better than most Americans his age
    More eloquent than this announcer for the Reds, for sure—and Albies isn’t the one being paid to talk.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (04-25-2019), Super (04-25-2019)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Soroka's slider looks way better this year than last...and that sinker is just explosive.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-25-2019)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Albies absolutely was taken advantage of. The Braves leveraged his humble background, lack of large signing bonus, and likely his desire to support the rest of his family into getting him to take a guaranteed contract for a lot of money but for way less money than he deserved. They absolutely took advantage of him. I love that I'm going to get to see Ozzie play for years to come but I'm not proud of the way this deal was done.

I think where problems start is when people see a deal like this and assume something nefarious must have happened. There must be a lack of intelligence or understanding that the Braves took advantage of. The Braves must have colluded with his agent to pull the wool over Ozzie's eyes. Since it's a deal they would never have taken, the only justification is that Ozzie didn't know what he was doing.

When you consider the other pressures Ozzie was under, you see how he could have taken this deal knowing full well he could get more. It's still distasteful that the Braves would use his humble background as leverage but it's not implying Ozzie is stupid like this guy did.
    Why are we still talking about this? Ozzie came out and said it wasn't about the money. As long as the players are happy shouldn't that be what matters?

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-25-2019), JohnAdcox (04-25-2019), jpx7 (04-25-2019), mossy (04-25-2019), UNCBlue012 (04-25-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Which was silly as hell.

It might be ignorant of his situation but I don’t think its racism.
    Agreed. The "racist" tag gets thrown around far too easily nowadays.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think it’s more classist than racist, tbh—the poors can’t count, and such—though obviously thanks to history class and race are bound up.

But more than anything, past any labelling, it’s just dumb: like I said upthread, it’s very easy to say, you know, the real value of $35 million is actually pretty circumstantial and subjective, despite the seeming concreteness of numbers. There’s no reason to resort to condescending to the kid or denigrating his intelligence, awareness, or counting acumen.
    True, but you got to read this announcers quote, think about what he said, think about this response, type it out, probably edited once or twice, and then hit submit.

He just blabbered off the cuff and said something dumb that probably wasn't exactly what he would have said with any amount of thought put into it.

I'm not going to dumb this guy into the racist bin just because he poorly stated a concept everyone knows to be true...that there isn't any practical difference between $35M and $100M for a young kid from a poor background.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    Why are we still talking about this? Ozzie came out and said it wasn't about the money. As long as the players are happy shouldn't that be what matters?
    Exactly. The player doesn’t feel shafted so nobody else should be whining about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Every player says it's not about the money.

The Braves took advantage of Ozzie's situation. It happens. I can't feel too much pity for a guy set to earn $35 million though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Soroka's slider looks way better this year than last...and that sinker is just explosive.
    i was impressed he was getting swing and misses on changeups down the middle...tells me it is a pretty deceptive pitch

"I am your retribution."