Page 9 of 119 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Impeachment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    One time-mistake? Whoa Nellie. Abuse of office and corruption has been rampant under the Chosen One almost from his first day in office.
    The one time mistake I was talking about was the Republican impeachment of Clinton. You had Republicans impeach the president knowing they had no chance of removing him from office. It was a bad move nobody else has repeated. If the Democrats impeach Trump then I think all restraint in using impeachment is gone. The parties will just take turns impeaching Presidents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The one time mistake I was talking about was the Republican impeachment of Clinton. You had Republicans impeach the president knowing they had no chance of removing him from office. It was a bad move nobody else has repeated. If the Democrats impeach Trump then I think all restraint in using impeachment is gone. The parties will just take turns impeaching Presidents.
    Clinton's fate was actually very much in question. I remember vividly how he was saved. A couple of the senior democratic senators got up and gave speeches about him on the senate floor. They were both very hard on him and said he had let the country down and had let his family down. And both also said they had decided that his behavior as bad as it was did not merit impeachment. Those two senators, even though they were very hard on him, saved him. If they had come down the other way on impeachment I think they would have brought some others with them.

I think the situation is similar with the Chosen One at the moment. If I were a betting man I would bet against conviction in the Senate. But there are a handful of GOP senators who carry a lot of weight with their peers who will decide the issue.

It was similar with Nixon but it played out the other way. After the Supreme Court ruled against him on the tapes, it fell to Goldwater and Hugh Scott to go to the White House to tell him the gig was up and he had to resign for the good of the country.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-27-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    The biggest reason is because of the debacle the Clinton impeachment was. If anything, it made Clinton even more untouchable. So much political capital was lost there that no one has been stupid enough to pull that partisan game again. It's the same reason the Democrats never impeached Bush 43.
    A small subsection of Dems did try to impeach Bush, but there was nothing to legitimately impeach Bush over. You can disagree with his administrations policies, but there was zero case for a Bush impeachment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    If the prosecutor doesn't think he can get a conviction, he rarely indicts.

If you don't think you can remove the President, it's folly to fire the impeachment bullet.
    The Speaker , 220+ House members, 2 (R) Governors are on record disagreeing with you.
    As of 5:30 on Friday.

Bear in mind the public's appetite for Impeachment August 1973
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    and let's be clear. this is an inquiry as to weather to hold a vote to impeach.
    Let's not put the cart in front of the horse

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    and let's be clear. this is an inquiry as to weather to hold a vote to impeach.
    Let's not put the cart in front of the horse
    and let's not kid ourselves

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Rantt Media
    @RanttMedia
    ·
    57m
    Pelosi displayed a public reluctance to impeach Trump.

Pelosi made a safe bet that Trump would keep committing crimes.

Feeling invincible, Trump committed the most corrupt act of his presidency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Kurt Volker, State Department point man on Ukraine, resigns.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Clinton's fate was actually very much in question. I remember vividly how he was saved. A couple of the senior democratic senators got up and gave speeches about him on the senate floor. They were both very hard on him and said he had let the country down and had let his family down. And both also said they had decided that his behavior as bad as it was did not merit impeachment. Those two senators, even though they were very hard on him, saved him. If they had come down the other way on impeachment I think they would have brought some others with them.

I think the situation is similar with the Chosen One at the moment. If I were a betting man I would bet against conviction in the Senate. But there are a handful of GOP senators who carry a lot of weight with their peers who will decide the issue.

It was similar with Nixon but it played out the other way. After the Supreme Court ruled against him on the tapes, it fell to Goldwater and Hugh Scott to go to the White House to tell him the gig was up and he had to resign for the good of the country.
    Not a single democrat voted to convict Clinton and several Republicans joined them. There was grandstanding but it was never really in doubt.

Ultimately it was a huge blunder by Republicans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    That rational implies that there is never a good time to impeach. While I have tons of misgivings for this impeachment there is no doubt that if any President ever deserved to be impeached, this one does.

I think they should've already censured him and officially tried to rein him in.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    That rational implies that there is never a good time to impeach. While I have tons of misgivings for this impeachment there is no doubt that if any President ever deserved to be impeached, this one does.

I think they should've already censured him and officially tried to rein him in.
    No, you impeach when you have a very good chance of removing from office. An impotent impeachment attempt will just make impeachment the norm instead of an extreme measure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Not a single democrat voted to convict Clinton and several Republicans joined them. There was grandstanding but it was never really in doubt.

Ultimately it was a huge blunder by Republicans.
    Perhaps, but it became clear to all that he was both a liar and a philanderer and that he had done these things in the Oval Office, which was unacceptable. He dug in and protected himself legally, but his guilt was obvious.

This impeachment will likely to the same for Trump, assuming there are any left who don't know how guilty he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    No, you impeach when you have a very good chance of removing from office. An impotent impeachment attempt will just make impeachment the norm instead of an extreme measure.
    The way party reps publicly posture, they are always going to support their guy at first, like the Reps did with Nixon. All it will take is a few to crumble and they will if the evidence and argument is good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    The way party reps publicly posture, they are always going to support their guy at first, like the Reps did with Nixon. All it will take is a few to crumble and they will if the evidence and argument is good enough.
    You need 20 Rep senators to defect and perhaps McConnell (don't underestimate his ability to kill this). That's not happening based on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    It was a very stupid thing for Trump to do. He's going to eventually stonewall and refuse congressional oversight, so he should've not handed that over either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    You need 20 Rep senators to defect and perhaps McConnell (don't underestimate his ability to kill this). That's not happening based on this.
    No one knows for sure how those senators will vote until the roll is called.

Are you saying every Republican senator is nothing more than a partisan hack who'll never break with the party line, regardless of evidence of wrongdoing by one of their own???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    To my mind the last thing we ( the country) needs now is Trump voters telling people how to handle Trump.
    You had your chance

Last edited by 57Brave; 09-27-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    No one knows for sure how those senators will vote until the roll is called.

Are you saying every Republican senator is nothing more than a partisan hack who'll never break with the party line, regardless of evidence of wrongdoing by one of their own???
    Not at all. I'm calling almost every member of Congress a partisan hack who'll never break rank.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (09-28-2019)