Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a Reconstructed Pen Might Look Like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

What a Reconstructed Pen Might Look Like

We've had significant injuries to Viz and O'Day, minor injuries to others, and performance issues with a significant number of relievers. There is some reconstruction work that lies ahead and I wanted to throw out for discussion names and ideas for reconfiguring the pen:

RHP (4): Pick up 2 new arms. Kimbrel could be one. Among players for teams falling out of contention very quickly I have interest in Givens from the Orioles and Steckenrider from the Marlins. Others will undoubtedly become available. But the idea is to pick up 2 new arms. The remaining 2 RHP will come from Jackson, Webb, Tomlin, Winkler, Parsons, Sobotka, Wilson, Touki, Wright depending on effectiveness.

LHP (4): Pick up 1 new arm. Smith and Watson from the Giants are possibilities. Minter will remain. And the last two will come from Venters, Biddle, Dayton, Newk and Blevins depending upon effectiveness.

The four high leverage guys would be the 2 new RHP and 1 new LHP along with Minter. Everyone else would move to a situational or lower leverage role to which they are better suited.

Our main problem right now is relying on unproven guys in fairly high leverage roles. We have a need for some significant reconstruction. At the same time, the pen is the area where a mid-season upgrade is easiest to accomplish. There are always plenty of solid options available. Plus the circumstance of Kimbrel being available as a FA this year.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm not sure how likely it is to acquire 3 high leverage BP arms to completely remake the BP when nearly every contender is going to be trying to add to the BP.

Simply pushing Newk, Wilson and Touki to the BP, and acquiring 1 of the Giants LHP is a much more realistic route for an organization brimming with talented arms.

I still think Kimbrel ends up as a Brave, but that's probably just the homer in me talking.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-07-2019), jpx7 (05-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    yeah, kimbrel (satan willing), one of newk, touki, or wilson succeeding in the BP role, and one trade acquisition should shape it up nicely.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We've had significant injuries to Viz and O'Day, minor injuries to others, and performance issues with a significant number of relievers. There is some reconstruction work that lies ahead and I wanted to throw out for discussion names and ideas for reconfiguring the pen:

RHP (4): Pick up 2 new arms. Kimbrel could be one. Among players for teams falling out of contention very quickly I have interest in Givens from the Orioles and Steckenrider from the Marlins. Others will undoubtedly become available. But the idea is to pick up 2 new arms. The remaining 2 RHP will come from Jackson, Webb, Tomlin, Winkler, Parsons, Sobotka, Wilson, Touki, Wright depending on effectiveness.

LHP (4): Pick up 1 new arm. Smith and Watson from the Giants are possibilities. Minter will remain. And the last two will come from Venters, Biddle, Dayton, Newk and Blevins depending upon effectiveness.

The four high leverage guys would be the 2 new RHP and 1 new LHP along with Minter. Everyone else would move to a situational or lower leverage role to which they are better suited.

Our main problem right now is relying on unproven guys in fairly high leverage roles. We have a need for some significant reconstruction. At the same time, the pen is the area where a mid-season upgrade is easiest to accomplish. There are always plenty of solid options available. Plus the circumstance of Kimbrel being available as a FA this year.

Paying prospect costs for relievers in season tends to be less than ideal.

If they can pick up Kimbrel and your man off the unemployment line that would be pretty good. Then if needed they can look into another acquisition as well. Since things have stabilized a bit, I think I would lean towards riding this out a bit more and looking to my internal options while waiting on some milestone dates for potential candidates.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Dude, pen is fixed. Since last Monday, here's the numbers (throwing out Carle who was obviously the only issue)...
    26.2 ip 17 h 2 er 9 bb 29 k
    Era = 0.68
    Whip = 0.99

Now that Carle is gone, championship quality

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I still think one of Biddle and or Sobotka will play a key role before it is all said and done. The talent is there for both to be successful. They are just not executing.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Paying prospect costs for relievers in season tends to be less than ideal.

If they can pick up Kimbrel and your man off the unemployment line that would be pretty good. Then if needed they can look into another acquisition as well. Since things have stabilized a bit, I think I would lean towards riding this out a bit more and looking to my internal options while waiting on some milestone dates for potential candidates.
    I'm as much of a prospect hoarder and value trader as anyone, and would give the prospect cost a fair amount of weight in deciding which deals to make to upgrade the pen. There are ways to do this without giving up much in the way of prospects. Getting Kimbrel is obviously one way. Another is acquiring someone who is a rental, as we did with Brad Brach last year. Will Smith for example is going to be a free agent. The third possibility is to get someone with the kind of contract that eats up any surplus value. Here I have in mind Ian Kennedy, who seems to be on his way to making a very successful transition to the pen. If we took on most of his contract, we wouldn't have to give up much in the way of prospects.

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Dude, pen is fixed. Since last Monday, here's the numbers (throwing out Carle who was obviously the only issue)...
    26.2 ip 17 h 2 er 9 bb 29 k
    Era = 0.68
    Whip = 0.99

Now that Carle is gone, championship quality
    The pen is not fixed. We have guys pitching in high leverage situations who are not really ready for those roles.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'm not sure how likely it is to acquire 3 high leverage BP arms to completely remake the BP when nearly every contender is going to be trying to add to the BP.

Simply pushing Newk, Wilson and Touki to the BP, and acquiring 1 of the Giants LHP is a much more realistic route for an organization brimming with talented arms.

I still think Kimbrel ends up as a Brave, but that's probably just the homer in me talking.
    Unless needs arise in other areas, we can concentrate resources on the pen. At this point I would be inclined to be ambitious about upgrading it over the next couple months.

We are fortunate so far in having a healthy lineup with guys like Duvall and Riley doing well in AAA. The rotation has gotten a boost from two of the young guys taking a big step forward. We are in a position to concentrate resources on the pen.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-07-2019 at 11:54 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    They just need to trade for Panda and make him the closer...that would fix the bullpen

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Kimbrel will be a Brave in a month imo. I think they have an agreement in place and are just waiting till the draft is over.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd love to see us use more multi-inning guys vs hoping 3-5 guys all have it for a night.

The more I hear Newk talk the more I think he's mentally a RP. He's a grip it and rip it guy.

If we had Newk, Touki, Weigel (later in the year), Wilson, Wright, Gohara (if he's ever healthy) going up and down as multi inning guys , then I think we'd have a big time pen. We don't have to have guys like Touki as RP forever, but for this year it makes sense.

5-6 innings of a starter and 2-3 innings of one of those guys should put you in a good spot most nights.

Why couldn't we tell one of those guys when the starter gets through the lineup the second time you are up?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah, kimbrel (satan willing), one of newk, touki, or wilson succeeding in the BP role, and one trade acquisition should shape it up nicely.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd love to see us use more multi-inning guys vs hoping 3-5 guys all have it for a night.

The more I hear Newk talk the more I think he's mentally a RP. He's a grip it and rip it guy.

If we had Newk, Touki, Weigel (later in the year), Wilson, Wright, Gohara (if he's ever healthy) going up and down as multi inning guys , then I think we'd have a big time pen. We don't have to have guys like Touki as RP forever, but for this year it makes sense.

5-6 innings of a starter and 2-3 innings of one of those guys should put you in a good spot most nights.

Why couldn't we tell one of those guys when the starter gets through the lineup the second time you are up?
    my reluctance to rely on the in-house options mainly has to do with the walk rates:

Touki 6.0 per nine innings so far in his major league career

Newk 4.7

Sobotka 6.2

Wilson 7.9

Wright 7.2

Some of these are small samples to be sure. But I think they are all relatively high risk. I'd be ok assuming one of them can emerge to give us reliable innings this year. But to assume two or more will I think is being a bit too optimistic.

In contrast:

Will Smith 3.3 career and under 3.0 in 2018 and so far in 2019

Mychal Givens 3.3

Ian Kennedy 3.0 career 1.1 in 2019

We need to be populating our pen mostly with guys with a track record of getting it done at the major league level. Mostly. And certainly we should not be counting on guys like Jackson and Tomlin to be pitching in high leverage situations.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-07-2019 at 04:30 PM.

"I am your retribution."

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    When some of the fringe guys fall apart, wonder if Troy bacon, ynoa, and weigel could get a shot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    When some of the fringe guys fall apart, wonder if Troy bacon, ynoa, and weigel could get a shot
    Guys like Bacon and Ynoa are going to be part our trade bait to get some help for the major league pen. I'd try to hold onto Weigel.

The Orioles would probably consider Ynoa and Bacon for Givens.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Guys like Bacon and Ynoa are going to be part our trade bait to get some help for the major league pen. I'd try to hold onto Weigel.

The Orioles would probably consider Ynoa and Bacon for Givens.
    Bacon k9 at 13.21 and bb9 at 2.89. Supposedly throws around 99. He might be worth trying before trading.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/6/1...2017-mlb-draft

25. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Bacon k9 at 13.21 and bb9 at 2.89. Supposedly throws around 99. He might be worth trying before trading.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/6/1...2017-mlb-draft
    That’s sizzlin
    Ivermectin Man

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    my reluctance to rely on the in-house options mainly has to do with the walk rates:

Touki 6.0 per nine innings so far in his major league career

Newk 4.7

Sobotka 6.2

Wilson 7.9

Wright 7.2

Some of these are small samples to be sure. But I think they are all relatively high risk. I'd be ok assuming one of them can emerge to give us reliable innings this year. But to assume two or more will I think is being a bit too optimistic.

In contrast:

Will Smith 3.3 career and under 3.0 in 2018 and so far in 2019

Mychal Givens 3.3

Ian Kennedy 3.0 career 1.1 in 2019

We need to be populating our pen mostly with guys with a track record of getting it done at the major league level. Mostly. And certainly we should not be counting on guys like Jackson and Tomlin to be pitching in high leverage situations.
    I don’t have the numbers. It seems like newk, Wright and Wilson have issues later in innings. Newk can’t focus. Wright has issues turning a lineup over. Wilson lacks secondary stuff

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Don't forget Teheran possibly gets sent to the pen.

It's a shame to have to put Newk in the pen. Wright needs to work on some things. I definitely think Touki and Wilson would instantly be great pen pieces if we start using them there. I sort of always felt Weigel was destined for the pen. Same with Muller. Allard maybe can throw harder if it's just for a batter or two.

So we just need to hold out for a month to get Kimbrell and then Weigel, Muller, etc.