User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44

Thread: Austin Riley being called up

  1. #21
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    Short sighted move. Wait another 7-10 days and you all but eliminate potential super 2 status. Plus, why sign Duvall for $3MM to play in AAA when even if he hits well, which he has, you still won't bring him up? Further, Duvall's defense is better and he
    could hit just as well or better than Riley, who understandably may need an adjustment period. He always has needed that in the past.
    We could easily send him back down for a week sometime later.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

  2. #22
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,339
    Thanks
    3,670
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thought that hasn't really been discussed...

    It would have to be an unexpected situation for sure, but say there's a point that Donaldson could be traded for something better than the compensation pick we'd get for him turning down the QO this winter. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to let Riley have gotten his feet wet already.

    It's unlikely, sure, but the reports say that Andujar's shoulder hasn't improved - and I don't think the Yankees expect Gio Urshela to continue hitting at a level he's never hit in his life. They've got LeMahieu, but he's much better suited to provide them flexibility with using Gleyber at SS some after Didi gets back (to try to make sure he's healthy during the postseason). If they're dead-set on making a push and Andujar's unavailable, isn't Donaldson a perfect fit as a rental that won't be in the way if they shut him down until 2020?
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though.

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team.

    The FO that needlessly promoted him early knew what they were doing and are paid to do this. We aren't, so we can't know more than them. Correction....they used to be paid to do this...

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (05-16-2019)

  4. #23
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,777
    Thanks
    766
    Thanked 832 Times in 561 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Riley has a much better shot of providing a spark than Duvall does.
    "This is the end of my presidency. I'm ****ed." - Donald J. Trump, innocent and totally exonerated man, upon hearing a special counsel has been appointed to investigate him.

  5. #24
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,793
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 4,742 Times in 2,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me among those who think the more prudent move would have been to go with a Duvall/Joyce platoon in LF for a bit. I expect Riley to be a pretty bad in LF, though not Kemp-bad. He isn't being called up to be the short side of a platoon, so we are going to see a lot of him in LF for a bit.

    It will be cool to get real data on him though.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/35/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    Braves1976 (05-15-2019),JohnAdcox (05-16-2019),jpx7 (05-15-2019)

  7. #25
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,040
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 462 Times in 352 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who is booted off the 40 man?

    Ender value is in the toilet and we owe him 3 more Years?

    Lineup HHS’s been good. Pitching and defense not so much. Our of might not be Phillies bad but I am worried about it.

    How is comargo going to play? Will he play more 2b?

    I would have used Duvall and try to flip him for a reliever

  8. #26
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,409
    Thanks
    839
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 759 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Interesting thought that hasn't really been discussed...

    It would have to be an unexpected situation for sure, but say there's a point that Donaldson could be traded for something better than the compensation pick we'd get for him turning down the QO this winter. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to let Riley have gotten his feet wet already.

    It's unlikely, sure, but the reports say that Andujar's shoulder hasn't improved - and I don't think the Yankees expect Gio Urshela to continue hitting at a level he's never hit in his life. They've got LeMahieu, but he's much better suited to provide them flexibility with using Gleyber at SS some after Didi gets back (to try to make sure he's healthy during the postseason). If they're dead-set on making a push and Andujar's unavailable, isn't Donaldson a perfect fit as a rental that won't be in the way if they shut him down until 2020?
    Not to be mean, but why would you even think such a scenario is even remotely possible? There is legitimately a zero percent chance we trade Donaldson unless we're out of contention or unless it turns out he beats women children, and dogs in his free time. Though, if it turns out he beats cats I'd probably give him a bonus and extent him.

  9. #27
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    15,793
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 4,742 Times in 2,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not to be mean, but why would you even think such a scenario is even remotely possible? There is legitimately a zero percent chance we trade Donaldson unless we're out of contention or unless it turns out he beats women children, and dogs in his free time. Though, if it turns out he beats cats I'd probably give him a bonus and extent him.
    You're correct in the assertion that JD won't be traded unless the Braves fall out of contention. Contending teams don't unload middle of the order bats no matter what the return may be. The "interesting thought" was never discussed because it's a pretty bad idea.

    However, there is a fairly strong chance the Braves will be out of the race by the end of July. There are currently 4 teams ahead of them for the 2nd WC spot, and plodding along with a 80-85 win pace probably isn't going to catch the Phillies. I don't now what the contention threshold is for trading JD, but I would suggest it's somewhere around a 10% playoff odds at the end of July.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-15-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/35/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (05-16-2019)

  11. #28
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,928
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 237 Times in 200 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that Riley's tendencies to be honest have not be to struggle at a new level, but more to struggle with him starting his season actually. I'm quietly optimistic that he'll be fine, and even if not, getting his feet wet at the plate will only help him.

    Yes, Riley didn't do so hot in AAA last year, but as it turned out he got injured shortly after he got promoted there so it was more injury related reasons. The AAA coach said that he was "finely looking healthy again" in his last 102 PAs last year.

    Scouts say he's serviceable out in the outfield, FWIW.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

    buck75 (05-15-2019)

  13. #29
    "What is a clvclv"
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Nebo, NC
    Posts
    6,339
    Thanks
    3,670
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,131 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not to be mean, but why would you even think such a scenario is even remotely possible? There is legitimately a zero percent chance we trade Donaldson unless we're out of contention or unless it turns out he beats women children, and dogs in his free time. Though, if it turns out he beats cats I'd probably give him a bonus and extent him.
    What part of a "unexpected situation" did you misunderstand?

    Folty's hurting more than he's letting on, Ozzie's already falling back into his bad habits, teams are doing a better job following the book on Acuna, the young pitching (other than Soroka and Fried) hasn't taken a step forward, Gausman and Julio are Gausman and Julio, and while the pen has been better of late it's not something to feel overly confident about.

    This team looks as likely to be out of the race come deadline time as it looks like it'll be in it.
    Waters is intersting too. Would prefer a guy that projects to more power though.

    If they don't make additions they can expect the same 3-5 win improvement they saw last year. That makes the Braves a 75-78 win team.

    The FO that needlessly promoted him early knew what they were doing and are paid to do this. We aren't, so we can't know more than them. Correction....they used to be paid to do this...

  14. #30
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,151
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 829 Times in 635 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Not to be mean, but why would you even think such a scenario is even remotely possible? There is legitimately a zero percent chance we trade Donaldson unless we're out of contention or unless it turns out he beats women children, and dogs in his free time. Though, if it turns out he beats cats I'd probably give him a bonus and extent him.
    you imply the scenario is impossible then mention the entirely plausible way the trade it could happen.

    If the Braves are out of it they have to investigate trades of the veterans though the production hasn’t been ideal.

  15. #31
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,409
    Thanks
    839
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 759 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    What part of a "unexpected situation" did you misunderstand?

    Folty's hurting more than he's letting on, Ozzie's already falling back into his bad habits, teams are doing a better job following the book on Acuna, the young pitching (other than Soroka and Fried) hasn't taken a step forward, Gausman and Julio are Gausman and Julio, and while the pen has been better of late it's not something to feel overly confident about.

    This team looks as likely to be out of the race come deadline time as it looks like it'll be in it.
    So an unexpected situation now turns into it looks like we're likely out of contention? Which is it?

    It's not like the Phillies are running away with the division. We're a .500 team that's had some bad luck with injuries to the SP and BP. And we've played a harder schedule thus far than the Phillies have.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.

  16. #32
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,409
    Thanks
    839
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 759 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    you imply the scenario is impossible then mention the entirely plausible way the trade it could happen.

    If the Braves are out of it they have to investigate trades of the veterans though the production hasn’t been ideal.
    Probably a miscommunication, but the way clv wordes his post, it seemed to me he thought we might consider moving Donaldson and replace him with Riley, whether we were winning or not, in order to get a better player than the draft pick might net.
    Last edited by Carp; 05-15-2019 at 01:29 PM.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (05-15-2019),Southcack77 (05-15-2019)

  18. #33
    Waiting for Free Agency
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,777
    Thanks
    766
    Thanked 832 Times in 561 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    you imply the scenario is impossible then mention the entirely plausible way the trade it could happen.

    If the Braves are out of it they have to investigate trades of the veterans though the production hasn’t been ideal.
    seriously? lol
    right now, it's not relatively close to happening. Riley is not here because the Braves are currently thinking about trading Donaldson and they want Riley to get his feet wet.
    down the line Donaldson may be dealt...but that has nothing to do with Riley, right now.
    "This is the end of my presidency. I'm ****ed." - Donald J. Trump, innocent and totally exonerated man, upon hearing a special counsel has been appointed to investigate him.

  19. #34
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,967
    Thanks
    3,191
    Thanked 4,928 Times in 3,038 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    How many had Camargo played before this year?
    Camargo spent a lot of spring training in the outfield and if I were to venture a guess, he's more athletic than Riley.

  20. #35
    Called Up to the Major Leagues Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    176
    Thanked 178 Times in 129 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I've found that Riley's tendencies to be honest have not be to struggle at a new level, but more to struggle with him starting his season actually. I'm quietly optimistic that he'll be fine, and even if not, getting his feet wet at the plate will only help him.

    Yes, Riley didn't do so hot in AAA last year, but as it turned out he got injured shortly after he got promoted there so it was more injury related reasons. The AAA coach said that he was "finely looking healthy again" in his last 102 PAs last year.

    Scouts say he's serviceable out in the outfield, FWIW.
    This had to help also...

    A.k.a. Ozzie's Chainz

    Braves / Panthers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

  21. #36
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3,040
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 462 Times in 352 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Camargo spent a lot of spring training in the outfield and if I were to venture a guess, he's more athletic than Riley.
    Not so sure. Riley might have a better speed number than Comargo. Comargo looks athletic but he is really slow and really stiff.

    I hope this means that Neck gets some more rest. He's been big time but I'd like to try to sit him once a week to keep him fresh. With Comargo, Riley, Ender and Culberson I really don't think Donaldson or Neck should ever play a day game after a night game or play more than 5 days in a row.

    When Ender is back what do you do? I'd option a bullpen piece and just use options to keep bringing up fresh arms.

  22. #37
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    13,361
    Thanks
    7,277
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,498 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Not so sure. Riley might have a better speed number than Comargo. Comargo looks athletic but he is really slow and really stiff.

    I hope this means that Neck gets some more rest. He's been big time but I'd like to try to sit him once a week to keep him fresh. With Comargo, Riley, Ender and Culberson I really don't think Donaldson or Neck should ever play a day game after a night game or play more than 5 days in a row.

    When Ender is back what do you do? I'd option a bullpen piece and just use options to keep bringing up fresh arms.
    I doubt Riley's are any worse as Camargo's were among the slowest on the team last year.

  23. #38
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,151
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 829 Times in 635 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    So an unexpected situation now turns into it looks like we're likely out of contention? Which is it?

    It's not like the Phillies are running away with the division. We're a .500 team that's had some bad luck with injuries to the SP and BP. And we've played a harder schedule thus far than the Phillies have.

    When I read it, I thought the unexpected situation was being out of contention.

    Having Riley get his "feet wet" seemed to imply that he wasn't the reason for the trade. at least to me. I think y'all are just used to giving the poster a hard time.

  24. #39
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,151
    Thanks
    210
    Thanked 829 Times in 635 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    seriously? lol
    right now, it's not relatively close to happening. Riley is not here because the Braves are currently thinking about trading Donaldson and they want Riley to get his feet wet.
    down the line Donaldson may be dealt...but that has nothing to do with Riley, right now.
    Seriously.

    Read the post again. It neither says, nor implies, that the Braves have called Riley up to "get his feet wet" so that he can be traded.

    Y'all give civ a break.

  25. #40
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    10,835
    Thanks
    1,162
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,845 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    When I read it, I thought the unexpected situation was being out of contention.

    Having Riley get his "feet wet" seemed to imply that he wasn't the reason for the trade. at least to me. I think y'all are just used to giving the poster a hard time.
    I never do and I read it as Riley is the reason we trade JD.
    Coppy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •