Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Austin Riley being called up

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I never do and I read it as Riley is the reason we trade JD.
    I do sometimes and I did not read it like you did.

I guess it was that he was comparing the return for Donaldson to the value you would get out of a QO and not making any comment about getting some sort of stretch run upgrade. I just took it as if they sold at deadline.

**Though they should sell JD at deadline regardless of whether Riley got his feet wet if they aren't in contention. In that respect, I guess I can criticize the post. Trading JD probably is almost entirely independent decision from Riley at this point.

So perhaps I get your reading after all.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I do sometimes and I did not read it like you did.

I guess it was that he was comparing the return for Donaldson to the value you would get out of a QO and not making any comment about getting some sort of stretch run upgrade. I just took it as if they sold at deadline.

**Though they should sell JD at deadline regardless of whether Riley got his feet wet if they aren't in contention. In that respect, I guess I can criticize the post. Trading JD probably is almost entirely independent decision from Riley at this point.

So perhaps I get your reading after all.
    You spun in so many circles that I am now dizzy
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You spun in so many circles that I am now dizzy
    It only gets worse (dizziness from spinning) as you get older.

Ring around the Rosie gets me now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Probably a miscommunication, but the way clv wordes his post, it seemed to me he thought we might consider moving Donaldson and replace him with Riley, whether we were winning or not, in order to get a better player than the draft pick might net.
    I don't think it's likely he would be moved at all - especially if we see some steady improvement over the next month and we're in a position where AA feels like we've got a LEGITIMATE shot, but who honestly knows? The first part of the scenario I mentioned has already happened (Andujar's surgery). It's highly unlikely Riley stays hotter than a firecracker - but not impossible - the adjustments he's made after talking to Chipper and Pujols could be the "last step".

The point is (particularly if we're still floundering around in a month hoping for a Wild Card to back in), wouldn't it make plenty of sense to move Donaldson for someone like Frazier when considering things long-term if Cashman comes calling? You'd still be able to have Acuna at the top while maintaining the balanced lineup (if that's even an interest) with Freddie/Frazier/Markakis/Riley. I just can't imagine we'd be able to get someone that good with the compensation pick we MIGHT get - and there's always the chance (however small) that Donaldson actually accepts the QO this winter to stay close to home if he doesn't feel like someone's going to offer him a relatively strong 3 year deal.
    Last edited by clvclv; 05-16-2019 at 01:10 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?