Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: GDT 5/19: Folty v Woodruff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So sitting Muk against a lefty is off the table. Instead we sit Dansby? I guess twit doesn’t think camargo can handle RF
    I have a feeling Camargo will be traded this year if Riley looks to be the real thing. Ender becomes the 4th OF and backup CF, Riley backs up 3B, Culberson backs up the rest of the IF. A utility player just isn't going to be heavily utilized on this team and we're going to need someone to eat innings.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I have a feeling Camargo will be traded this year if Riley looks to be the real thing. Ender becomes the 4th OF and backup CF, Riley backs up 3B, Culberson backs up the rest of the IF. A utility player just isn't going to be heavily utilized on this team and we're going to need someone to eat innings.
    A utility guy won’t be utilized with Twit writing lineups in sharpie. But one should be. There is zero reason both camargo and clutch haven’t had more starts. We can win without Muk, dans, FF, Acuna and others in the damn lineup every night. Twit is a ****ing moron who needs to manage Rome.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You're using an example of a guy who had to join one of the top 2-3 organizations at developing pitching to learn how to throw strikes as your argument?

All impact BP arms have "no-hitter caliber stuff".

Newk's K/9 has been declining every MLB season, and currently sits under 6. Maybe it's time to realize what Newk is?...exactly what I've said he is for years.
    Every reliever has the ability to carry no hitters into the seventh and ninth versus World Series teams in the same season?

I respectfully disagree with the idea he’s strictly a reliever candidate now. But have no objection to his being used that way right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    you saw Newk out of the BP.
    we saw him earlier in the year looking...quite bad.
    and yes, i think any of those guys, save allard or probably weigel, could be better options.
    i also said "probably" better. i think one of wright, touki, anderson, or wilson could easily emerge as a better option..especially considering we don't know what they are yet (while i think it's pretty clear what Newcomb is).
    We saw him throw a small sample size where he was in fact better than Teheran (whose contract kept him up) and certainly better than Folty would go on to start.

Last season we saw him be a useful starter for a relatively extended period before collapsing in the second half. Only some of that was peripherals starting to tell.

He’s barely thrown a full season If I recall correctly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Every reliever has the ability to carry no hitters into the seventh and ninth versus World Series teams in the same season?

I respectfully disagree with the idea he’s strictly a reliever candidate now. But have no objection to his being used that way right now.
    LOL...

Kent Mercker threw a no-hitter.

Newk is a BP arm. Find a real argument.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL...

Kent Mercker threw a no-hitter.

Newk is a BP arm. Find a real argument.

He had a half season of very good baseball last year. He’s young and cheap. He is a power arm from the left side.

He’s nearly no hit two top offenses in baseball within a short window.

He has had more success than any other pitcher in the pipeline at mlb level and is as good a choice as any to take over for Teheran if that decision is betweeen internal options.

It’s totally cool with me that you have him pegged as a reliever though. You might well be right.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    We saw him throw a small sample size where he was in fact better than Teheran (whose contract kept him up) and certainly better than Folty would go on to start.

Last season we saw him be a useful starter for a relatively extended period before collapsing in the second half. Only some of that was peripherals starting to tell.

He’s barely thrown a full season If I recall correctly.
    He was overperforming in the 1st half and regressed to his talent in the 2nd.
    was terrible in ST. 15 BB in 21 IP. which doesn't mean much alone, but combined with the 2nd half of last year, and the way he started this season walking the world and striking nobody out, it was bad.
    teheran has been much better as a SP this year than newk had been.
    folty is coming off an injury and a much better season last year than newk....not really a comparison there.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He had a half season of very good baseball last year. He’s young and cheap. He is a power arm from the left side.

He’s nearly no hit two top offenses in baseball within a short window.

He has had more success than any other pitcher in the pipeline at mlb level and is as good a choice as any to take over for Teheran if that decision is betweeen internal options.

It’s totally cool with me that you have him pegged as a reliever though. You might well be right.
    bottom line: hasn't been able to consistently throw strikes as a starter.
    i think he will be in the running next year. i also think there's a good chance one of the other guys rises above him. that's not a crazy take.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    This is my take. I have never seen a pitcher sweat so much, so quickly in warmer weather. No matter what happens with him, I don’t think he can start in hot weather (which is like every game in Atl). He literally looked like he jumped out of a pool and walked to the mound. That’s not his fault, but has to be really tough to perform.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Newk has closer stuff and when he embrace it, he will be even better.

It starts up top. He does not nibble now, he just brings it but he is reserving himself now thinking he might start.

Newk, just take this and go with it, you got the goods man.

Touki same thing, just embrace it, now if you have to eat innings I think you can, but if we need an inning, just let it go bro, you got this.

Wright, Wilson, Weigel and Anderson, they are waiting their turn.

Damn we got some pitchers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    From all the starting pitching prospects we accumulated during the rebuild, I think we will end up with 3 who panned out. Soroka. Fried. And drum rolls please. Wilson.

Attrition is high for starting pitching prospects.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."