"I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (05-19-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Sucked to lose last night but if this is the Folty we get the rest of the season things are looking good.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Sucked to lose last night but if this is the Folty we get the rest of the season things are looking good.
    What, only pitching 5 innings because he can’t handle the heat and gets dizzy? Yeah then things are looking real good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    What, only pitching 5 innings because he can’t handle the heat and gets dizzy? Yeah then things are looking real good
    You must have missed the rest of folty's season. I thought yesterday was very encouraging

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    seemed to handle the heat fine last season.
    yesterday was progress in him returning to form. almost swept a really good team. nothing to be upset about.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    If you’re going to make stupid troll like comments at least get them right. Folty pitched 6 innings
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Folty was dominant yesterday. He hung a slider to hiura and paid for it. Tge pitches were crisp and the command was excellent.

I think this is the start of a great season for him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think Donaldson gets a QO and accepts it.

Oh and depth is a good thing.

Pullng this out from the thread. I agree. I think this is what is most likely to happen.

You'll get another season, perhaps (depending on if Riley's hot start is real or not) of an awkward fit in LF. Not unlike what happened with Chipper and Klesko back in the day.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    indeed

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Folty coming around would be a real bonus.

I wanted them to do more than they did with the bullpen during the offseason. Pretty strongly on the record about that. With that said, I think they have probably taken a pretty reasonable approach in working through their options, before finally arriving at using some of their premium starter arms for that purpose as a bridge. Next step is acquiring some more dependable help.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Touki is so much better in relief. Not sure if starting sikes him out or what. But when him doesn’t know he is pitching he throws well. This weekend was the first I actually got to see New Newk and that was impressive. He might make it hard to keep him out of the rotation.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Touki is so much better in relief. Not sure if starting sikes him out or what. But when him doesn’t know he is pitching he throws well. This weekend was the first I actually got to see New Newk and that was impressive. He might make it hard to keep him out of the rotation.
    I like Newk better in the pen, some pitchers are just better in the pen than rotation. That's baseball, so they say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I like Newk better in the pen, some pitchers are just better in the pen than rotation. That's baseball, so they say.
    I'd hate to mess with Newcomb at the moment, but it isn't like he's never had success as a starter. And he's pretty much the same age as fried who just put it together this season, and still younger than folty was in his break out season last year

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'd hate to mess with Newcomb at the moment, but it isn't like he's never had success as a starter. And he's pretty much the same age as fried who just put it together this season, and still younger than folty was in his break out season last year
    And Newk May be “just better out of the pen”. That is a very real possibility. But one of our favorite newbies this year said his time in the pen is why he is having the success this year. So is it safe to maybe see if Newk can do what Fried did. I don’t know but I would try it at some point. I think right now you don’t mess with it. But I like the idea of using Newk as a sixth starter to start limiting our innings on some of the kids. That is assuming everyone stays healthy and productive
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I agree on Touki and Newk looking better in the pen. They both seem very comfortable doing this.

The front office has to make choices and for now those two in the pen and allowing the others to develop as starters in the minors seems to be the right move.

There is still the option to give Touki and/or Newk one more look as a starter next spring.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Folty coming around would be a real bonus.

I wanted them to do more than they did with the bullpen during the offseason. Pretty strongly on the record about that. With that said, I think they have probably taken a pretty reasonable approach in working through their options, before finally arriving at using some of their premium starter arms for that purpose as a bridge. Next step is acquiring some more dependable help.
    right, especially considering how volatile and risky even "steady" vet BP arms are. we've seen a bunch of FA BP guys flop this season.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    And Newk May be “just better out of the pen”. That is a very real possibility. But one of our favorite newbies this year said his time in the pen is why he is having the success this year. So is it safe to maybe see if Newk can do what Fried did. I don’t know but I would try it at some point. I think right now you don’t mess with it. But I like the idea of using Newk as a sixth starter to start limiting our innings on some of the kids. That is assuming everyone stays healthy and productive
    i don't think Newk is necessarily a BP guy for life now. he could get another opportunity. but i'd use him in the pen for this year at least.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    As I have been saying for a while now, a big part of the BP solution is to finally move the guys who don't belong in the rotation into the BP.

Newk and Touki are the prime examples of such pitchers. Touki's move to the BP may not be permanent, but it should be clear by now that Newk's role is being a weapon out of the BP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I agree on Touki and Newk looking better in the pen. They both seem very comfortable doing this.

The front office has to make choices and for now those two in the pen and allowing the others to develop as starters in the minors seems to be the right move.

There is still the option to give Touki and/or Newk one more look as a starter next spring.
    Both should be given a chance at the rotation next year and we should hope that their experience in the pen makes them better pitchers moving forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Both should be given a chance at the rotation next year and we should hope that their experience in the pen makes them better pitchers moving forward.
    I wouldn't force it, but with injuries and all an opportunity for one of them might open up next spring.

Fried had to beat out some competition this spring. I don't think he was the favorite for a rotation spot heading into spring training. But he won the job.

"I am your retribution."