Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Kimbrel: Yea or Nay?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

We should be past the point of discussing available payroll in terms of "so and so is leaving, so they have X dollars to spend....derp!". Try to be better than Bowman, mmkay?

Ok, but I did that literally not at all.

I'm aware that BRef is an approximation.

Where does your spreadsheet suggest the Braves will be payroll wise after arbitration assuming they pickup Markakis and Flowers' options but decline Teheran. I'm happy to use that number if it will make you happy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We can assume he and Teheran are not. My point is that under that assumption, we can't fold all three of Kimbrel, Donaldson and Grandal into a 120M opening day payroll. So the FO should think long and hard about bringing Kimbrel in on a deal that goes beyond this season.
    I think Grandal is unlikely anyways. More likely will see Mac and Flowers part deux if they hold up well this year.

More interested in seeing what we do for the OF. Do we bring trade Ender and go with Acuna, Riley, and Neck? Or do we keep Ender and find a more long term solution to RF/LF? Gotta figure Pache or Waters are in the long term plans for CF and should be ready come late 2020 or early 2021, so I think the more likely approach is to trade Ender and go with the current OF for 1 year. Also a chance Duvall could factor into these plans if he gets recalled and proves his AAA performance is legit.

I think we're more likely to make a big trade for a TOR pitcher than anything else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    So do we price Kimbrel based on his regular season value (WAR like any other player). Or does he get paid based on the value that top closers are supposed to generate in the post season.
    I would do 3/35.

7 million for remainder of this year and 14 million per for the next 2. May be give him an opt-out if helps close the deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I think Grandal is unlikely anyways. More likely will see Mac and Flowers part deux if they hold up well this year.
    I agree (especially with the if they hold up well part).
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    More interested in seeing what we do for the OF. Do we bring trade Ender and go with Acuna, Riley, and Neck? Or do we keep Ender and find a more long term solution to RF/LF? Gotta figure Pache or Waters are in the long term plans for CF and should be ready come late 2020 or early 2021, so I think the more likely approach is to trade Ender and go with the current OF for 1 year. Also a chance Duvall could factor into these plans if he gets recalled and proves his AAA performance is legit.
    The most likely scenario for the outfield imo is we keep what we got (including Inciarte). He would be the fourth outfielder but play a bit more than the typical fourth outfielder with Riley spelling Donaldson some at third. This is the scenario where we continue to go cheap with McCann/Flowers behind the plate.

If we try for all three of Grandal/Kimbrel/Donaldson in 2020, then Teheran and Inciarte have to be moved.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-21-2019 at 01:25 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

I think we're more likely to make a big trade for a TOR pitcher than anything else.
    This I think would be a yuge mistake. Mid market teams really should not do this. Especially since we have thrown so many resources (draft picks, etc) at trying to develop a homegrown pitching staff. The whole point of doing this is to avoid the cost and risk of trying to acquire a TOR guy.

Btw there is a different kind of pitching trade which I would not be opposed to. Acquiring someone who was once a TOR guy but who is still very good and who only has a year or two of contractual obligation left. Like the Astros did with Verlander.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-21-2019 at 01:28 PM.

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No one man can equal Bowman. That I agree with.
    no man is greater than or equal to Bowman

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    This I think would be a yuge mistake. Mid market teams really should not do this. Especially since we have thrown so many resources (draft picks, etc) at trying to develop a homegrown pitching staff. The whole point of doing this is to avoid the cost and risk of trying to acquire a TOR guy.

Btw there is a different kind of pitching trade which I would not be opposed to. Acquiring someone who was once a TOR guy but who is still very good and who only has a year or two of contractual obligation left. Like the Astros did with Verlander.
    I mean we tried trading for Paxton this past off-season and we've been linked to other TOR pitchers like Archer just last year too, so it seems inevitable that we'll trade for one, imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I mean we tried trading for Paxton this past off-season and we've been linked to other TOR pitchers like Archer just last year too, so it seems inevitable that we'll trade for one, imo.
    Random, but Archer has been pretty terrible since the trade.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    doing due-diligence is a bit different than something being "inevitable."
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Yeah. There was a lot of talk about Paxton, but I'm not sure we actually made an offer. I'm not opposed to adding starting pitching, but with the emergence of Soroka and Fried I think the need to do something like that has decreased.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

You're forgetting about

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Seemed more than doing "due diligence." Reportedly we finished 2nd for Archer and, I'm pretty sure we had an offer for Paxton that was regarded as better than what the Yanks offered. Don't forget the Sonny Gray situation either. Passan reported about a 3 team deal we had with Texas and NYY that fell apart.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    You're forgetting about

He is on a Riley type run right now.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Random, but Archer has been pretty terrible since the trade.
    He's been dealing with an injury, but yes you're right. He's been awful this year. Considering the price, I'm super glad we didn't touch him.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-21-2019), UNCBlue012 (05-21-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Seemed more than doing "due diligence." Reportedly we finished 2nd for Archer and, I'm pretty sure we had an offer for Paxton that was regarded as better than what the Yanks offered. Don't forget the Sonny Gray situation either. Passan reported about a 3 team deal we had with Texas and NYY that fell apart.
    Gray isn’t a TOR guy. i doubt the braves made an offer even close to what archer fetched last year. idk i think it was mostly checking in and seeing if they could get a steal. i doubt they’ll be trading for a TOR arm.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Does the comp pick roll over to next year after the June deadline?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBrave View Post
    Does the comp pick roll over to next year after the June deadline?
    No. That was debunked.
    Coppy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

PurpleBrave (05-22-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Gray isn’t a TOR guy. i doubt the braves made an offer even close to what archer fetched last year. idk i think it was mostly checking in and seeing if they could get a steal. i doubt they’ll be trading for a TOR arm.
    You're opinion on Gray is rather irrelevant. They also reportedly were interested in a trade with Cleveland for one or their top 3 staters. So they've clearly made a point to try acquire a high quality starter with control as they've attempted to acquire at least 5 different pitchers in less than a year (having sucessfully traded for Gausman last July).

That seems like way more than due diligence.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You're opinion on Gray is rather irrelevant. They also reportedly were interested in a trade with Cleveland for one or their top 3 staters. So they've clearly made a point to try acquire a high quality starter with control as they've attempted to acquire at least 5 different pitchers in less than a year (having sucessfully traded for Gausman last July).

That seems like way more than due diligence.
    well, you mentioned "TOR" pitchers in your post and said they'd acquire one.....which is why I said Gray is not a TOR pitcher, therefore inquiring about him doesn't back up that notion that they're after a TOR pitcher.
    they were linked to Archer before acquiring Gausman.
    point is, i don't think they're dead set on getting a "TOR" arm. and i don't think it will happen. seeing if you can get one in a steal is great and i hope they keep trying. could've worked out with Paxton. but again, that's more due diligence than truly chasing a TOR pitcher.