Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimbrel: Yea or Nay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts

Kimbrel: Yea or Nay?

I'm firmly in the Nay camp. First there are performance issues. Except for his outstanding 2017 season he hasn't been quite as good since 2014. Then there were the struggles in the post-season last year.

But a larger objection to me has to do with loss of "financial flexibility" (everyone's favorite buzz phrase) next off-season if we sign him beyond 2019.

Without Kimbrel we will head into the off-season with about $30M to play with. Options for using that money include:

1) Making a QO to Donaldson with the real possibility he accepts it. With Donaldson returning on a QO we would have a very deep team similar to this year's and still have some $ to play with.

2) Going after Grandal. Flowers and McCann have done well this year, but at some point the aging curve will catch up to them.

I think either of those becomes more difficult with Kimbrel signed for 2020. Not impossible. We could try to move salary.

If we don't sign Kimbrel, we also have the option of pursuing both 1 and 2 above by moving some salary. I like that possibility a lot. Having both Donaldson and Grandal on this team would turn an already good lineup into a powerhouse.

So we should consider the tradeoffs involved. Signing Kimbrel to anything more than a half-year deal means forgoing 1 or 2 above. It definitely rules out being able to carry both Donaldson and Grandal in 2020.

Of course if we don't sign him it means we will upgrade the pen in a different way, with costs involved there as well. It is only fair to acknowledge that.

The ideal to me is to just sign him for 2019, but I don't know that this is a realistic option.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-20-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    If he can be had for any reasonable amount on a 1 year deal, or a 1 year deal plus an option, I think it needs to happen. This extra cash needs to be spent, and the best place for it as the roster currently stands is a short term deal on an elite BP arm.

If he is going to cost something like $40M+ over 2.5 years, I am a hard no. I'm also probably a no on a deal around ~$25M over 1.5 years.

So as always, it comes down to cost.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (05-20-2019), JohnAdcox (05-21-2019), jpx7 (05-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If he can be had for any reasonable amount on a 1 year deal, or a 1 year deal plus an option, I think it needs to happen.
    I'd be fine with that.

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-21-2019)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    2) Going after Grandal. Flowers and McCann have done well this year, but at some point the aging curve will catch up to them.
    Grandal is going to be 31 himself, the aging curve has just as much of a chance of catching up with him too. Going after Grandal this past offseason on a short term deal made a bit of sense, I'm not sure it really does next year unless it's a 1-2 year deal.

I don't see how bringing back Donaldson on a QO is really an issue when it comes to signing Kimbrel considering we are already paying Donaldson 20+ mil this year. Now it would definitely stop us from signing both for sure.

I don't want to see Kimbrel signed for any longer than say the 2021 season, but then I don't want to see us giving big money to a catcher past the age of 30 either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Grandal is going to be 31 himself, the aging curve has just as much of a chance of catching up with him too. Going after Grandal this past offseason on a short term deal made a bit of sense, I'm not sure it really does next year unless it's a 1-2 year deal.

I don't see how bringing back Donaldson on a QO is really an issue when it comes to signing Kimbrel considering we are already paying Donaldson 20+ mil this year. Now it would definitely stop us from signing both for sure.

I don't want to see Kimbrel signed for any longer than say the 2021 season, but then I don't want to see us giving big money to a catcher past the age of 30 either.
    I would try to bring in Grandal on a 2 year deal. Not interested in something longer. He did choose AAV over years this past off-season.

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    That's the point. We can bring back Donaldson no problem. But if we also have Kimbrel in 2020 say at 15M, we may not have that flexibility.

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    What would we pay Kimbrel this year? A pro-rated salary of 14 million for rest of the year?
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    This extra cash needs to be spent, and the best place for it as the roster currently stands is a short term deal on an elite BP arm.
    I'm looking at Ian Kennedy as an alternative. He has pitched to a 2.38 FIP so far in 20 innings. The move to the pen has allowed his fastball velo to tick up to 94.2 from 92.4 last year. He's walking less than 1 per nine innings. He is striking out over 10 per nine. Also interestingly getting more groundballs as a reliever.

His contract pays him 16.5 this year and the same next year.

It seems to me we can make a deal where we pay the rest of his contract this year and have the Royals pay about half of next years. We probably have to give up someone like Wentz or Muller in that sort of deal. But it allows us to strengthen the pen this year, while saving us some $ next year (relative to paying Kimbrel).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-20-2019 at 04:22 PM.

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    What would we pay Kimbrel this year? A pro-rated salary of 14 million for rest of the year?
    I would guess something like that. But it is really the guaranteed years that are the issue.

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Blows my mind that Kimbrel and Keuchel haven't signed

The game has changed that's for sure

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Blows my mind that Kimbrel and Keuchel haven't signed

The game has changed that's for sure
    Boras has apparently advised Keuchel to sign a couple of the offers that have come his way. But Dallas says the analytics show he is worth more.

"I am your retribution."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    That's the point. We can bring back Donaldson no problem. But if we also have Kimbrel in 2020 say at 15M, we may not have that flexibility.
    Isn't Tehearn all but gone after this year too? That should save us a few million as well. Also have O'Day's money coming off the books.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-20-2019)

Called Up to the Major Leagues SJ24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Yea.

It's not my money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Isn't Tehearn all but gone after this year too? That should save us a few million as well. Also have O'Day's money coming off the books.
    Yes, but there are a bunch of guys getting raises, either from contracts or likely from arb. Plus there are potential expenditures at catcher (if McCann retires or we don't bring him back) and maybe another mid-price bullpen arm (such as Tony Watson or Mychal Givens).

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    That’s why I thought. With Teheran’s 10 million gone, JD’s 23, Odays 9 that is a lot more than 30. I know there will be a few raises.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    If we get close enough to the WS this year like NLCS, I wonder if JD would take a year + option deal for less AAV to give us more wiggle room to spend.
    Forever Fredi

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If it's just money and it's just one year, then yes.

He was not good at the end of last year. He's had issues before. He's getting older. He's a RP. He hasn't played this year. Those are my concerns.

I'd love to sign him to a one year deal and an expensive option or two. Team option for 25 million. Next year an option for 30. We'll never pay 30...

RP is such a volatile market. We have a ton of arms.

I'm still someone who thinks the second half of the year we have a shot at impact arms from guys like Weigel, Gohara, Wilson, Wright, etc. I think at least one of those guys is an impact bullpen piece.
    And I'd use TOuki and Newk as multi-inning guys now.

I think Minter will be back as an impact guy too.

Duvall might be able go get us a cost controlled pen arm that can hold down the 7th, right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    It’s not my money, but the money my favorite team spends directly impacts their ability to be competitive.

Krimbrel could have probably gotten something like $17M-$18M per year for 3 years had he not came into the offseason with ludicrous demands. I have to imagine he would require the prorated version of a $20M deal for a singe year.

My guess on a 1 year deal for Kimbrel after the draft is something like $10M-$15M plus a $15m-$20M option with a $5M buyout.

The Braves should have plenty of room to add that contract to the 2019 budget.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-20-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    It’s not my money, but the money my favorite team spends directly impacts their ability to be competitive.

Krimbrel could have probably gotten something like $17M-$18M per year for 3 years had he not came into the offseason with ludicrous demands. I have to imagine he would require the prorated version of a $20M deal for a singe year.

My guess on a 1 year deal for Kimbrel after the draft is something like $10M-$15M plus a $15m-$20M option with a $5M buyout.

The Braves should have plenty of room to add that contract to the 2019 budget.
    I'd be willing to pay a bit more this year to avoid having a guarantee for 2020 or beyond.

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    If we get close enough to the WS this year like NLCS, I wonder if JD would take a year + option deal for less AAV to give us more wiggle room to spend.
    I'd offer JD the QO no problem. There isn't a good player available next class. The class after that is loaded.

Ideally we'd land a left handed bat. I don't see that guy. Maybe someone would say Grandal at Catcher.

You offer JD. If he takes it you still saved a little money off of his salary this year. I'm not sold on Riley yet. If Riley is awesome you trade Ender and put Riley in LF for one more year. You pick up Neck's option. See if you can find someone who mashes LH pitching to trade for as a platoon guy/bench guy.

If JD leaves you have Riley and Comargo for 3B LF. I'm not sure if Comargo can hit in a part time role. We shall see with bigger samples. Then you are likely looking for a trade partner to upgrade the lineup because the FA class is trash. Hard to find a LH corner OF with impact on a 1-2 year deal though...

David Peralta still makes the most sense to me. IF the Dbacks can't get him to sign an extension then maybe they will deal him. Him plus Grienke isn't a bad move if we aren't going to spend any money.