Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimbrel: Yea or Nay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    Yah up until about 3 years 45 million. Feels like he is due for TJ any year now. Probably comes back strong but it's still 1 year recovery time.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    We could potentially have a ton of money coming off the books. JT, oday, Duvall, ender, viz(swarzak),venters.

Even if we pay the same for JD or COF, Swanson and Folty raise (Newk maybe). I think we still have a boat load to spend next year on only a few holes.

Not sure we need to penny pinch while we have a good shot at making a deep playoff run. Oz and Acuna salary now allow us to be aggressive. Not stupid. Just aggressive.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I'd offer JD the QO no problem. There isn't a good player available next class. The class after that is loaded.

Ideally we'd land a left handed bat. I don't see that guy. Maybe someone would say Grandal at Catcher.

You offer JD. If he takes it you still saved a little money off of his salary this year. I'm not sold on Riley yet. If Riley is awesome you trade Ender and put Riley in LF for one more year. You pick up Neck's option. See if you can find someone who mashes LH pitching to trade for as a platoon guy/bench guy.

If JD leaves you have Riley and Comargo for 3B LF. I'm not sure if Comargo can hit in a part time role. We shall see with bigger samples. Then you are likely looking for a trade partner to upgrade the lineup because the FA class is trash. Hard to find a LH corner OF with impact on a 1-2 year deal though...

David Peralta still makes the most sense to me. IF the Dbacks can't get him to sign an extension then maybe they will deal him. Him plus Grienke isn't a bad move if we aren't going to spend any money.
    Despite your inability to spell Camargo and the terrible idea of taking on Greinke, this is a pretty good take.

If JD posts an ~.850 OPS over 140+ games and ends the season healthy, giving him a QO is a no-brainer. Worst case scenario is 1 year of JD at 3B for $19M, and Riley fakes it in LF for another season. Best case scenario is the Braves get a pick, Riley get his shot at 3B, and the Braves go out hunting for a cOF upgrade before ultimately settling on Markakis...who will probably be a Brave until the day he dies.

I am still a huge fan of getting Grandal in Atlanta.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (05-21-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,829 Posts
    Depends on the cost and mainly years.

1 year deal, or 3+.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Despite your inability to spell Camargo and the terrible idea of taking on Greinke, this is a pretty good take.

If JD posts an ~.850 OPS over 140+ games and ends the season healthy, giving him a QO is a no-brainer. Worst case scenario is 1 year of JD at 3B for $19M, and Riley fakes it in LF for another season. Best case scenario is the Braves get a pick, Riley get his shot at 3B, and the Braves go out hunting for a cOF upgrade before ultimately settling on Markakis...who will probably be a Brave until the day he dies.

This literally made me lol.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Spelling is not my focus. I fire these off while doing something else

Grienke is not a desire. Getting peralta is. Not really anyone to pay next year.

Neck next year would be great. He just needs to sit more and be our seventh or eighth based person.

We are very right handed. I think waters and Pache are coming. I think we need a lh corner bat on a one or two year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Not a fan of signing Kimbrel at this point, because we really don't know when he would be at full speed. I would much rather try to acquire a couple of middle of the road relievers to provide bullpen depth. I think between Jackson, Webb, Touki, and Newk we will have a couple of high leverage guys we can depend on.

We may also need to get a starter to burn some innings. Both Fried and Soroka will blow past any reasonable innings increase if they pitch the entire year.

As for next year, I still wonder if Alex promised Donaldson that he would not be offered a QO. He agreed to that one year deal a lot faster than I expected.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yes, but there are a bunch of guys getting raises, either from contracts or likely from arb. Plus there are potential expenditures at catcher (if McCann retires or we don't bring him back) and maybe another mid-price bullpen arm (such as Tony Watson or Mychal Givens).
    I find knocking Kimbrel for performance and cost and then championing Ian Kennedy to be pretty bizarre.

You are putting all kinds of fingers on those scales and that’s just odd imo.

If there is a bidding war for Kimbrel he will not be a brave, most likely. I don’t care one way or the other aside from the obvious gaping hole that Kimbrel would be hard pressed not to make better.

Lot of guys might do that, but can’t say Ian Kennedy does anything for me. Given how little the Braves were willing to spend on relief options this offseason, royals would have to basically eat all of kennedy’s salary one way or the other it would seem.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 05-20-2019 at 09:19 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    I don't get the idea of performance issues. Aside from walks, he's been basically the same pitcher he's always been. Throwing harder now than what he was at age 23, though down from his career peak. Still striking out hitters at historic rates.

Gladly take Kimbrel back in a heartbeat. Cost be damned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,063 Posts
    Paying Kimbrel over 10 mil for less than a full season seems crazy to me. OTOH, his arm is getting some good rest. It's conceivable that if he does get picked up for the last half of the season, that team could get a few months of a very live arm.

Or not.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Folty has a few more good outings by the draft then our rotation is in pretty good shape with how Soroka and Fried have pitched. We don’t have any offensive problems so bullpen is the obvious play to spend and Kimbrel is a no brainer to pick up for 8-10 million to finish out the season. You pick up Craig and one of the Giants relievers and we are very dangerous the 2nd half of the season.
    Last edited by Hudson2; 05-20-2019 at 11:01 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    My question would be what else other than relievers would the Braves be buying this trade season?

Barring injury, there is no obvious position to upgrade. I guess the rotation could always be better but who is that upgrade?

Even the bench doesn’t need much work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    My question would be what else other than relievers would the Braves be buying this trade season?

Barring injury, there is no obvious position to upgrade. I guess the rotation could always be better but who is that upgrade?

Even the bench doesn’t need much work.
    Yeah, AA kept some payroll in reserve and the only real need is the pen. The challenge is making use of those funds but not tying up a big chunk of payroll in 2020 and beyond on a high risk asset.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Kimbrel on a reasonable deal would be ok. I would not give that a very good chance though, and who knows how long it would take him to get in mid-season form.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    It depends as many have said.

Pay him for the rest of 2019 and let him walk - yes.
    Pay him $50M+ for the next 4 years - no.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    I would do 2 years and a team option. He will not break us and is still good. I love strong BP and he can deepen our pen
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    He has been awesome most of his career. He was horrible late last year and Red Sox fans prayed every time he came in.

Maybe that’s a fluke...but it’s a pretty decent gamble to sign him long term to any kind of money. He might bounce back or he might be that same guy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah, AA kept some payroll in reserve and the only real need is the pen. The challenge is making use of those funds but not tying up a big chunk of payroll in 2020 and beyond on a high risk asset.

Your numbers are probably about right. Somewhere around 95 million to start after picking up Flowers and Markakis options.

Where else can you save money?

4m decline Markakis option
    4m decline Flowers option
    9.35+ Gausman
    7.7m Inciarte
    3m cut Duvall
    2m cut Culberson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Your numbers are probably about right. Somewhere around 95 million to start after picking up Flowers and Markakis options.

Where else can you save money?

4m decline Markakis option
    4m decline Flowers option
    9.35+ Gausman
    7.7m Inciarte
    3m cut Duvall
    2m cut Culberson
    Likely raises: Gausman (3M), Folty (2M), Inciarte (2M), Markakis (2M), Flowers (2M), Freeman (1M), Culberson (0.5M), Swanson (2.5M). Total 15M.

We will have to spend on catcher. Perhaps not much if we bring McCann back.

Contracts coming off: Venters (2.25M), Viz (4.8), Donaldson (23), O'Day (9), Blevins (1.5), Joyce (1.25), Tomlin (1.25), Duvall (2.9)

Assuming these guys get replaced by minimum salary players puts us at 92M.

If we add Kimbrel at say 16M in 2020, that puts us at 108M. Adding Donaldson at say 20M puts us at 128M.

Let's say the team has a plan for opening day payroll of 120M. They would have to move some salary to be able to get down to that if they took on both Kimbrel and Donaldson for 2020. There are some possibilities. One is to decline the option on Teheran (or trade him). That would save 12M. If we traded Inciarte it would save 7M.

It obviously becomes a much tougher lift if we want to bid on a big name catcher like Grandal. Then likely something has to give. I don't think we can fold in all three of Kimbrel, Donaldson and Grandal into a 120M opening day payroll.

If instead of Kimbrel we trade for Mychal Givens or Ian Kennedy (and as part of that deal the Royals pick up 10M of his 2020 salary), then carrying both Donaldson and Grandal becomes feasible (we would still have to move Teheran and Inciarte).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-21-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    He has been awesome most of his career. He was horrible late last year and Red Sox fans prayed every time he came in.

Maybe that’s a fluke...but it’s a pretty decent gamble to sign him long term to any kind of money. He might bounce back or he might be that same guy.

How was he horrible last year.
    Coppy