Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carter Stewart

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    hard not to see this as a good decision by him. he'll make more money right away and, in a few years if he develops, can still go to the MLB around when he'd have been called up anyways.

and this should kind of scare the MLB imo.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Yeah, but you aren't 7000 miles from home facing a language barrier. All people are different, but the difference in money wouldn't be worth it to me... guess it could be to Stewart. Wonder if he had it over again, would he sign with braves

ETA... if he keeps a home here in the offseason, wouldn't his income be taxed here also?
    Maybe he read Warren Cromatie's bio and decided Japan could be a lot of fun.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I hope he succeeds.I know most of the masses are against the players getting huge contracts and such, but baseballs draft and free agency in regards to young players is pretty broken and needs to be fixed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzworm For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    hard not to see this as a good decision by him. he'll make more money right away and, in a few years if he develops, can still go to the MLB around when he'd have been called up anyways.

and this should kind of scare the MLB imo.
    Seeing the deal, I agree. This was a good decision. Way more money and not hurting his career. What are the CBA rules for 25 year olds
    Coppy

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Seeing the deal, I agree. This was a good decision. Way more money and not hurting his career. What are the CBA rules for 25 year olds
    He would be a free agent and be posted I'm sure. There is a rule about players being at least 25 years old and having played part of 6 seasons in a recognized foreign league. So this all lines up with Carters deal which is why they went for it.
    Last edited by thewupk; 05-22-2019 at 12:20 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (05-22-2019), jpx7 (05-22-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He would be a free agent and be posted I'm sure. There is a rule about players being at least 25 years old and having played part of 6 seasons in a recognized foreign league. So this all lines up with Carters deal which is why they went for it.
    If he performs, he’s a 25-year-old FA with all perks that permits. If he fails, he’s made $5 million more than the Braves offered last year, which was also likely the best number he could expect this year, and he gets to work at it those six years under better playing conditions than the minors would afford. Hard to see a downside, given the events of the preceding year.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    If he performs, he’s a 25-year-old FA with all perks that permits. If he fails, he’s made $5 million more than the Braves offered last year, which was also likely the best number he could expect this year, and he gets to work at it those six years under better playing conditions than the minors would afford. Hard to see a downside, given the events of the preceding year.
    and he gets to broaden his horizons
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    MLB has lost top young talent to the NFL, but this is the first time MLB has lost top young talent to another baseball league. It sets a dangerous precedent for the health of the league if other leagues are able to pay more for young talent.

MLB needs to fix the way they pay young players, and it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    MLB has lost top young talent to the NFL, but this is the first time MLB has lost top young talent to another baseball league. It sets a dangerous precedent for the health of the league if other leagues are able to pay more for young talent.

MLB needs to fix the way they pay young players, and it needs to happen sooner rather than later.
    I agree.

I do not think the draft is the problem. I know some people think Drafts are fundamentally unfair and I understand that.

The issue is minor leaguers making below minimum wage. It's shameful. The billionaires and the millionaires should be able to pay 30 grand a year for A ball and up to 60-75 grand for AAA.

People are going to threaten to do this now to get leverage in draft negotiation. I don't think living in Japan and working in Japanese baseball is going to be for most folks. Overseas has not had a big impact on basketball players and they have a much clearer path.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-22-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I agree.

I do not think the draft is the problem. I know some people think Drafts are fundamentally unfair and I understand that.

The issue is minor leaguers making below minimum wage. It's shameful. The billionaires and the millionaires should be able to pay 30 grand a year for A ball and up to 60-75 grand for AAA.

People are going to threaten to do this now to get leverage in draft negotiation. I don't think living in Japan and working in Japanese baseball is going to be for most folks. Overseas has not had a big impact on basketball players and they have a much clearer path.

I'll believe significant numbers of American teenagers start playing professional baseball in foreign countries when it actually starts happening.

At some point maybe an international culture will evolve, but it simply doesn't exist for Americans right now except perhaps in soccer, where American professional leagues are not the big money or end goal.

Much like basketball, the number of kids who actually have these overseas options is probably fewer than you think right out of high school and their chances of playing significant roles or starring is probably less than people think (for most of them) as well.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I agree.

You can't really say this unless Japanese baseball changes their rules. Currently team are only allowed 4 foreign players per year so while some can take this road, most will not be able to.
    Last edited by Orphan Black; 05-22-2019 at 07:19 PM.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    You can't really say this unless Japanese baseball changes their rules. Currently team are only allowed 4 "international" players per year so while some can take this road, most will not be able to.
    When I played in the Euroleague as a basketball player, they can only have two on the team and they put you through the process with ID's as a foreigner.

And the teams check them.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    When I played in the Euroleague as a basketball player, they can only have two on the team and they put you through the process with ID's as a foreigner.

And the teams check them.
    I believe I recall that it is not uncommon for American players in Basketball to seek dual citizenship in order to not count against the limit. That is why you sometimes see American players playing for other countries in the Olympics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Chance he gets blacklisted as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I believe I recall that it is not uncommon for American players in Basketball to seek dual citizenship in order to not count against the limit. That is why you sometimes see American players playing for other countries in the Olympics.
    If you have ties to that country, like family.