Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Austin Riley Apology Thread

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’m less super-sold on Riley than I am undersold on Realmuto being worth it.
    Thing is...we have two capable catchers and a great young prospect in the minors. JTR wasn’t a huge need, and we only would get him for two years. If he was signed to a Yelich deal...then that’s different.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-28-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Bullpen issue was more not picking up lower cost options than big tickets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Riley reminds me more and more of Troy Glaus the more I see of him. The swing, the size, everything. I hate to put that kind of comp on a kid but he's the spitting image of Glaus.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Thing is...we have two capable catchers and a great young prospect in the minors. JTR wasn’t a huge need, and we only would get him for two years. If he was signed to a Yelich deal...then that’s different.
    That’s my whole thing too.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Trading prospects is bad mmmkay
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-23-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I’ve watched all of the Riley at bats. I like watching him hit. I have my concerns long term but this is a lot of fun. He’s a good player no doubt. I’m hoping he’s a difference maker over time but we will see.

I never wanted jtr. I wanted us to get grandal like the brewers did. Offer big money for 1-2 years. Higher salary less years. That would be my plan for all free agents. Ideally team options even if they are crazy high options.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I was against JTR trade from the get go since catcher wasn't a need, but I slowly faded towards to being ok with it as it looked inevitable. Glad it didn't happen. But I'll still trade him for Haniger in a heartbeat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’m less super-sold on Riley than I am undersold on Realmuto being worth it.
    This.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I was against JTR trade from the get go since catcher wasn't a need, but I slowly faded towards to being ok with it as it looked inevitable. Glad it didn't happen. But I'll still trade him for Haniger in a heartbeat.
    I wouldn't. Haniger is almost 29 years old. Riley won't keep hitting at this level, but he will hit. He's also gonna be a 3rd baseman.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Haniger is batting like .232 with around 1.3 WAR and 12 dingers. I have to think Riley would outperform that if up the whole season to this point.

We have two really really promising outfielders that should be in AAA by the end of this season and Guys like Duvall and Demeritte playing great with not a shot to even get a shot....oh and a gold glove center fielder just hoping that he won’t come back as our fourth outfielder.

Things have changed. Haniger is not really a need at all anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I’m real excited about what Riley has done so far but that K-rate is starting to get up there and his walk rate is almost non existant. If he can’t mske adjustments in those 2 areas he will eventually be exposed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I’m real excited about what Riley has done so far but that K-rate is starting to get up there and his walk rate is almost non existant. If he can’t mske adjustments in those 2 areas he will eventually be exposed.
    All I’m saying. That was the concern in the minors too, but he steadily improved both areas at each level. We’ll see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    All I’m saying. That was the concern in the minors too, but he steadily improved both areas at each level. We’ll see.
    I’m optimistic he can adjust. He’s shown that ability over and over again. Just pointing out the one concerning thing thus far

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Haniger is batting like .232 with around 1.3 WAR and 12 dingers. I have to think Riley would outperform that if up the whole season to this point.

We have two really really promising outfielders that should be in AAA by the end of this season and Guys like Duvall and Demeritte playing great with not a shot to even get a shot....oh and a gold glove center fielder just hoping that he won’t come back as our fourth outfielder.

Things have changed. Haniger is not really a need at all anymore.
    Like a .250 BABIP though. He has a career high ISO as well. Not to mention, 1.3 WAR would put him tied for 3rd on our team currently, behind FF and Acuna.

Granted he is 28 already, which I forgot. Still, he's proven to be a 4 WAR player and is controllable for like 4 more years.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-25-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Agree

Guy throws 95 and he ks three times

He needs to keep hitting. He’s shown he can adjust. Plus it’s baseball and it’s hard. And hopefully not hurt us in the field

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Like a .250 BABIP though. He has a career high ISO as well. Not to mention, 1.3 WAR would put him tied for 3rd on our team currently, behind FF and Acuna.

Granted he is 28 already, which I forgot. Still, he's proven to be a 4 WAR player and is controllable for like 4 more years.
    He's at 1.1 fWAR, which would be tied with flowers for 6th on braves. Mitch is K'n at 27.9% BTW, which is up 6.2% from his career year last season. Zips, steamer, and depth charts all project him in 2 range in fWAR (2.1-2.7).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He's at 1.1 fWAR, which would be tied with flowers for 6th on braves. Mitch is K'n at 27.9% BTW, which is up 6.2% from his career year last season. Zips, steamer, and depth charts all project him in 2 range in fWAR (2.1-2.7).
    Those projections are for the rest of the season...so they project him at 3-4 wins overall. Haniger is exactly the player everyone thought he was.

We do know a few things about Riley now, and none of them have to do with his 1.000+ OPS that's hyper-inflated by a .450 BABIP and 50% HR/FB rate (I'm going to assume we no longer have to discuss how unsustainable those numbers are...):

1. His power is legit, but not top of the scale. His hardest hit ball before tonight (I don't know the exit velocity on the double) didn't quite top 110 mph. That puts his raw power in the tier below Acuna/JD with Freeman/Flowers/Markakis/Albies(RHH).

2. His Z-Contact% of 60.8% is well below MLB average of ~85%. There isn't a single qualified MLB hitter that makes contact with pitches in the zone less frequently.

3. His O-Swing% is 43.3%, and would rank #3 in MLB if he were a qualified hitter, tied with Javy Baez...the poster-child for wild swingers.

4. We worry about his ability to catch up to FAs, but the league isn't throwing him many. His 46.2% FA% would rank #158 out of 170 qualified batters.

What I see so far is a good power hitter with a bit of a long swing that is guessing FA often and cheating for it. When he gets it in the zone, he causes damage. When he guesses wrong he either swings at a bad pitch, or fails to make contact altogether.

Add all that up and you get a young mistake hitter who is up there guessing, and is obviously going to K a lot as a result. Only time will tell if he can adjust to MLB quality sequencing, but MLB pitchers will let us know pretty soon. Of course, we have seen Riley make adjustments and improve many times already in many different facets of being a professional baseball player, so it would be pretty dumb to suggest he won't make adjustments at the MLB level to correct these fairly obvious issues.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-26-2019 at 12:02 AM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (05-26-2019), Jaw (05-28-2019), jpx7 (05-26-2019)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    The doctor, Dr. Scheff analysis.

He is usually, well mostly, right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Those projections are for the rest of the season...so they project him at 3-4 wins overall. Haniger is exactly the player everyone thought he was.

We do know a few things about Riley now, and none of them have to do with his 1.000+ OPS that's hyper-inflated by a .450 BABIP and 50% HR/FB rate (I'm going to assume we no longer have to discuss how unsustainable those numbers are...):

1. His power is legit, but not top of the scale. His hardest hit ball before tonight (I don't know the exit velocity on the double) didn't quite top 110 mph. That puts his raw power in the tier below Acuna/JD with Freeman/Flowers/Markakis/Albies(RHH).

2. His Z-Contact% of 60.8% is well below MLB average of ~85%. There isn't a single qualified MLB hitter that makes contact with pitches in the zone less frequently.

3. His O-Swing% is 43.3%, and would rank #3 in MLB if he were a qualified hitter, tied with Javy Baez...the poster-child for wild swingers.

4. We worry about his ability to catch up to FAs, but the league isn't throwing him many. His 46.2% FA% would rank #158 out of 170 qualified batters.

What I see so far is a good power hitter with a bit of a long swing that is guessing FA often and cheating for it. When he gets it in the zone, he causes damage. When he guesses wrong he either swings at a bad pitch, or fails to make contact altogether.

Add all that up and you get a young mistake hitter who is up there guessing, and is obviously going to K a lot as a result. Only time will tell if he can adjust to MLB quality sequencing, but MLB pitchers will let us know pretty soon. Of course, we have seen Riley make adjustments and improve many times already in many different facets of being a professional baseball player, so it would be pretty dumb to suggest he won't make adjustments at the MLB level to correct these fairly obvious issues.
    You right... the projections are from here out. I remember when the projections came out that they had haniger way below what most of here thought he'd get, so guess that's why I read the projections wrong. Thanks for correction

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Riley reminds me more and more of Troy Glaus the more I see of him. The swing, the size, everything. I hate to put that kind of comp on a kid but he's the spitting image of Glaus.
    I completely agree. I was on YouTube not too long ago. Now, I'm far from a professional scout, but I saw good similarities to Glaus with Riley. Time will tell if he had any sort of career like Troy Glaus, but Austin Riley is off to a good start.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide