Thread: Camargo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts

Camargo

What do we do with him? He's struggling in his new role. He's really only effective by lhp. The guys who he subs for though (Swanson, Donaldson, Riley, and albies) are all RHHs though. Should we flip camargo and DuVall for a while? Duvall would at least give us a chance to sit markakis vs lhp some.
    Swanson sucks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I personally think some guys can play part time and some guys cannot.

I think he needs to get more plate appearances. I don't see how that is possible with Riley around. I'd send him to AAA and let him hit every day. I think he gets traded.

Sometimes I do not think Culberson gets enough credit. I'm not saying he's as good as his numbers are now. I'm saying it's really hard to play that little an then come in and produce.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-24-2019), jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think he needs to get more plate appearances. I don't see how that is possible with Riley around. I'd send him to AAA and let him hit every day. I think he gets traded.
    All this.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What do we do with him? He's struggling in his new role. He's really only effective by lhp. The guys who he subs for though (Swanson, Donaldson, Riley, and albies) are all RHHs though. Should we flip camargo and DuVall for a while? Duvall would at least give us a chance to sit markakis vs lhp some.
    I hate to see talented young players traded but Camargo should probably be used in a trade for bullpen help. Long term he seems like the odd man out.
    With the current MLB OF group and Pache / Waters playing well he is blocked in the OF.
    2nd and SS are set and Culberson is a suitable back up. Donaldson and Riley have him blocked at 3rd and Freddie is an underrated superstar.
    I really expect to see Donaldson back next year on a QO. I think he will play well enough this year that the 23 million contract doesn’t look bad but won’t finish strong enough for a team to offer a 3/20 type deal. I see Donaldson playing for a series of short high value contracts.
    Would a team like the Giants have instresr in Camargo

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think that they should consider a Camargo trade if it upgrades the team. Culberson does check a lot of the same boxes as far as position coverage so you could move him in it made sense.

But I don't feel urgency to force Camargo plate appearances or feel like he needs to be moved just because he isn't getting them. A utility player with pop who has demonstrated he can handle a starting role at a major position is valuable in its own right. It's just right now, it's hard to see why you would rather have him in the lineup than Riley. He might have some complaints about losing at bats to Culberson though.

Even if Camargo is less useful for the remainder of this season, I don't mind holding on to him because he may have bigger role next year depending on how some of the older vets shake out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Camargo needs to start 3-4 times a week and sharpie snit is failing to do that. We can win without anyone in our lineup. FF, Acuna and Culberson all had 0’fers and we still scored 5. There is ZERO reason our starters are not getting more time off.
    Coppy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (05-24-2019), jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Camargo needs to start 3-4 times a week and sharpie snit is failing to do that. We can win without anyone in our lineup. FF, Acuna and Culberson all had 0’fers and we still scored 5. There is ZERO reason our starters are not getting more time off.
    I thought that was how he was going to be used and we've seen a little of him at 2B in addition to 3B and the OF. The problem for him now is he's not a good enough OF to be a defensive replacement and Riley is going to get the starts at 3B when they sit Donaldson. My guess is Camargo will be in Gwinnett when Inciarte returns to get some regular playing time. There will be some roster shuffling throughout the season, but I fully agree with the synopsis you've provided in that it's really difficult for young players to get used to a part-time role. Culberson's been in a part-time role for most of his career and he's 30 years old. It's not a role one can learn overnight.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

buck75 (05-24-2019), jpx7 (05-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Let's pump the brakes a bit. He's been super unlucky so far with a .244 BABIP. I do think he likely played over his head last season but there's plenty of reason to think he will bounce back at least somewhat offensively.

There is no reason to trade Camargo unless someone values him as a the sort of player he was last year. He's great depth for us and is super cheap. We have prospects to use to upgrade our team during the season. Better to trade him in off-season and perhaps give him some time to regain some value.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019), salmagundy (05-24-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Let's pump the brakes a bit. He's been super unlucky so far with a .244 BABIP. I do think he likely played over his head last season but there's plenty of reason to think he will bounce back at least somewhat offensively.

There is no reason to trade Camargo unless someone values him as a the sort of player he was last year. He's great depth for us and is super cheap. We have prospects to use to upgrade our team during the season. Better to trade him in off-season and perhaps give him some time to regain some value.
    Agree that you don’t dump him. Only trade if you get good value. I wouldn’t trade for a rental. If zona would give up 1.5 years of peralta I’d bite.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Agree that you don’t dump him. Only trade if you get good value. I wouldn’t trade for a rental. If zona would give up 1.5 years of peralta I’d bite.
    Peralta is obviously having a great season, but who do you bump in that situation? Hard to justify bumping Neck or Riley at this point and you also have Duvall who could factor into a roster decision soon.

Again, I can't imagine trading Carmargo during the season. The only improvement we currently need is in the BP, and I'm not trading Camargo for any relief pitcher. I could see may be trading for a SP since we want to limit Soroka's and Fried's innings, and may be have some insurance for Folty. Just not sure what pitcher that would be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Because Camargo is actually and should actually be a starter either with this team or another. The part time roll killed his momentum and flow...It’s why he started so slow last year too.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I thought that was how he was going to be used and we've seen a little of him at 2B in addition to 3B and the OF. The problem for him now is he's not a good enough OF to be a defensive replacement and Riley is going to get the starts at 3B when they sit Donaldson. My guess is Camargo will be in Gwinnett when Inciarte returns to get some regular playing time. There will be some roster shuffling throughout the season, but I fully agree with the synopsis you've provided in that it's really difficult for young players to get used to a part-time role. Culberson's been in a part-time role for most of his career and he's 30 years old. It's not a role one can learn overnight.
    Maybe we can get Snitkers to transition into a part-time role.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Anyone who understands stats that are actually predictive understands that Camargo was a below average hitter overall last year and in 2017 (xwOBA of .299 and .310).

He is a versatile utility player who's strong batting side is the short side of a platoon, and nothing more...exactly as expected. He's had 36 PAs as a RHH this year, so there's almost zero conclusions to be drawn from that data.

Acuna, Riley, JD, and Swanson are all RHH. Albies is better as a RHH. Markakis has experienced a late career revival. Culberson is a much better defender and is a RHH. The simple truth is the Braves have many players who are better than Camargo at what Camargo does well.

I called Camargo a sell high candidate for a reason, and this is why. I don't think any teams are fooled into thinking he is anything more than a bench piece, so he likely has little trade value. I suggest fans enjoy the fact that the Braves are now good enough overall to have a player of Camargo's quality on the bench.

But yes, Markakis has a .515 OPS vs LHP in 2019, and he needs to sit against them almost all the time. Camargo should be getting the bulk of those PAs.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 05-24-2019 at 11:46 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Anyone who understands stats that are actually predictive understands that Camargo was a below average hitter overall last year and in 2017 (xwOBA of .299 and .310).

He is a versatile utility player who's strong batting side is the short side of a platoon, and nothing more...exactly as expected. He's had 36 PAs as a RHH this year, so there's almost zero conclusions to be drawn from that data.

Acuna, Riley, JD, and Swanson are all RHH. Albies is better as a RHH. Markakis has experienced a late career revival. Culberson is a much better defender and is a RHH. The simple truth is the Braves have many players who are better than Camargo at what Camargo does well.

I called Camargo a sell high candidate for a reason, and this is why. I don't think any teams are fooled into thinking he is anything more than a bench piece, so he likely has little trade value. I suggest fans enjoy the fact that the Braves are now good enough overall to have a player of Camargo's quality on the bench.

But yes, Markakis has a .515 OPS vs LHP in 2019, and he needs to sit against them almost all the time. Camargo should be getting the bulk of those PAs.
    I don’t care how good or bad camargo is per se. I am more pissed that sharpie snit is not utilizing our stronger bench to get guys more rest. I was listening to the Dodgers skipper today and he was talking about the depth his team has and how it really separates his team versus most of the league come July because most teams don’t deploy the depth enough.

Sharpie snit is so afraid that the team can’t win with out every starter starting every game, he doesn’t give them proper time off. Neck still hasn’t had a full game off. FF hasn’t either. These guys should be getting 2 games off a month imo. We have a good enough team to do that and still win a lot of games.
    Coppy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts

We must not trust camargo in rf though bc yesterday was the perfect chance to play him there. If camargo can't play right, we need to bring up Duvall

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    This is the answer.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    This is the answer.
    Umm. A very good source said that FF AND Nick are very good against lefties and snit can just pencil them in against anyone. And I know Chip wouldn’t lie to me like that.
    Coppy