Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Know -I Know

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    People on welfare and food stamps should for SURE be drug tested. I have zero issue with implementing that.
    The numbers have been run on that enough times to know that it is a money-losing proposition for the state or municipality doing the testing. It keeps cropping up because the stigmatization of the poor is good electoral politics in certain venues.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (11-20-2013), jpx7 (11-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    That's actually, like, not at all easy for people with genetically- and/or environmentally-conditioned predispositions towards addiction. Methinks you don't know **** about chemical dependency if your response is: "Easy as that."
    There is plenty of help available. Don't do drugs. Pretty cut and dry. I am not saying it is easy to accomplish, but if you want government benefits , then yeah it is that easy (cut\dry).

Methinks you looked for something to jump on.

Life choices: Make good ones.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    The numbers have been run on that enough times to know that it is a money-losing proposition for the state or municipality doing the testing. It keeps cropping up because the stigmatization of the poor is good electoral politics in certain venues.
    Sure I get that. But to me, it isn't a money issue. I flat out don't think that you should get gov't benefits if you are still getting high all the time.
    Ivermectin Man

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

CK86 (11-20-2013), FreemanFan (11-29-2013), thethe (11-20-2013), weso1 (11-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I can honestly say I haven't heard Sarah Palin speak in at least a year... Is she still relevant somewhere? What am I missing?
    I agree. I haven't heard a word she has said since she lost with Old man Mac. I figured by now she would have an afternoon talk show on tv somewhere.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    No supporters of George Zimmerman today --- huh?
    No one claiming he is the victim of ... - wonder how those jurors are sleeping tonight -- Mark O'Mara ??

Wonder if anyone has the stones to admit they got it wrong last spring

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts
    There is plenty of help available. Don't do drugs. Pretty cut and dry. I am not saying it is easy to accomplish, but if you want government benefits , then yeah it is that easy (cut\dry).
    There really isn't quite as much help as you think for the impoverished addict who you seem to be, coincidentally, in favor of starving through lack of assistance.

Life choices: Make good ones.
    That's all well and good as advice, but sometimes people don't make ideal life-choices, and I'm not comfortable – personally, or as a society – being so callous as to say, "Well, you done muffed your life up, so: go **** yourself," if for no other reason than because I think that's a pretty damn juvenile and base way to approach living, other humans, et cetera.
    Last edited by jpx7; 11-20-2013 at 07:05 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    There really isn't quite as much help as you think for the impoverished addict who you seem to be, coincidentally, in favor of starving through lack of assistance.

That's all well and good as advice, but sometimes people don't make ideal life-choices, and I'm not comfortable – personally, or as a society – being so callous as to say, "Well, you done muffed your life up, so: go **** yourself," if for no other reason than because I think that's a pretty damn juvenile and base way to approach living, other humans, et cetera.
    We know we know. We're all heartless assholes if we want anyone to have to pay the consequences of their bad decisions - rather than folks who didn't make the bad decision being forced to pay it for them

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-20-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts

Or tapate's policy will actually save some lives, because people will be more willing to get help. It's not like people can't get food just because they don't get it from the federal government. A guy begging on the side of the road makes enough money to eat. He can still go to an ER to get healthcare. He can go to a private run homeless shelter. The idea that someone who is against federal government providing drug abusers welfare is callous, is extremely short sighted. You don't know their intentions and you don't know the result of the policy. But even if true I don't think it's more noble than your intent. I don't think an intent to free a guilty conscious is much better than a callousness.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts

But there is help, and people who will get you that help. I would rather give someone a reason to get help than provide them the means to continue down the current path. I'm not telling someone to go F themself, I'm telling them "here is where you can get clean and where you can come get benefits when you do" . Doesn't sound so harsh when you aren't typing it in an over dramatic and sarcastic tone does it?

After all , isn't getting clean the best help?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (11-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Both are illegal. Drinking at night mostly won't affect me being employed the next day.

Have an accident on the job? Under the influence? See ya. Your gov't sponsored health plan will be picking up the tab, not the employer. You will also be subject to unemployment drug tests and won't get benefits if you test positive. What is wrong with that?

Under the current situation, your examples are apples and oranges.
    Both of what are illegal? Drinking every night is illegal?
    Smoking weed at night does not affect work performance any more than drinking at night does. One won't show up in your system more than a few hours, another can for a while.
    What if someone has an accident on the job while drunk? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    It's almost like everyone grows up in different circumstances and have different things happen to them.

Almost. Most people just grow up in cushy environments, and every mistake they make is completely their own.

I think it's hilarious, and this isn't directed at any one on here, but how republicans are the more bible-thumping jesus lovers, but truly lack compassion and understanding, two things jesus preached.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    We know we know. We're all heartless assholes if we want anyone to have to pay the consequences of their bad decisions - rather than folks who didn't make the bad decision being forced to pay it for them
    Amazing that we are the bad people because we don't have sympathy for those that make the same bad decisions that many of us have turned away from. PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    It's almost like everyone grows up in different circumstances and have different things happen to them.

Almost. Most people just grow up in cushy environments, and every mistake they make is completely their own.

I think it's hilarious, and this isn't directed at any one on here, but how republicans are the more bible-thumping jesus lovers, but truly lack compassion and understanding, two things jesus preached.
    I'm by no means a religious person. I'm just someone who came from what some would say are less than ideal conditions and I came out just fine. Many many people have it worse than I did but ultimately I took ownership of my life and did what needed to be done to become self-sufficient.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Amazing that we are the bad people because we don't have sympathy for those that make the same bad decisions that many of us have turned away from. PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY!
    Some people are brought up in dynamics that make it far more likely they commit some sort of crime, or have mental issues, large or small. Not everyone has the parental support and care I had, basics+ always provided, a good group of friends at a young age, etc, etc.
    Things out of people's control can happen and have a huge affect on them.

I've seen people who I know grew up like me, but still messed up their lives. I've seen people in much worse situations than me turn out great. I'm not saying every person who screws up one thing or another grew up in poverty, but not everyone grew up like me, or you, and sometimes it is a very legitimate excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Some people are brought up in dynamics that make it far more likely they commit some sort of crime, or have mental issues, large or small. Not everyone has the parental support and care I had, basics+ always provided, a good group of friends at a young age, etc, etc.
    Things out of people's control can happen and have a huge affect on them.

I've seen people who I know grew up like me, but still messed up their lives. I've seen people in much worse situations than me turn out great. I'm not saying every person who screws up one thing or another grew up in poverty, but not everyone grew up like me, or you, and sometimes it is a very legitimate excuse.
    Ultimately, people need to look in the mirror and ask themselves what type of life they want. Everyone has that choice.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'm by no means a religious person. I'm just someone who came from what some would say are less than ideal conditions and I came out just fine. Many many people have it worse than I did but ultimately I took ownership of my life and did what needed to be done to become self-sufficient.
    I said it wasn't directed at any one.

I grew up in less than ideal conditions, too. But there are people that experience far, far worse than you, and me.

It seems like some here are the type of people who would tell a depressed person, "hey! just get up and enjoy life! it's that easy!"
    It's not that easy for someone who is depressed. I've never been, but I've known people and read things, and in my mind it's easy to say "well, just get out of bed. what's so difficult about that?" But minds are different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Ultimately, people need to look in the mirror and ask themselves what type of life they want. Everyone has that choice.
    Unfortunately, the human mind is just NOT that simple.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Unfortunately, the human mind is just NOT that simple.
    Thats just an excuse for some that don't want to devote their lives to bettering themselves. I'm all for helping the mentally ill and disabled people of this country but as a society we over diagnose everything. Everyone has ADD and everyone is depressed. I don't buy it. People just need to figure out how to deal with life. Life was never meant to be easy. As an 8 year old I found that out real quick when my mother died.
    Natural Immunity Croc

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    we are still bitching about the peanuts we waste on welfare in this country?

really?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2013)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldfly For This Useful Post:

CK86 (11-20-2013), jpx7 (11-21-2013)