User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Harry Christopher Caray,III

  1. #1
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    swamps of S. Ga
    Posts
    1,696
    Thanks
    221
    Thanked 269 Times in 163 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Harry Christopher Caray,III

    better known as Chip has been the Braves main booth announcer since 2009 but started with TBS in 2004 along side his Dad.

    My disdain for him has grown steadily over the past 3 years. His broadcast style is sloppy and full of mistakes on play calling. The constant use of the same phrases is boring and truthfully not what is seen on the field. My calls for him to be replaced have been boosted by others on this board.

    "Chip was criticized for having made factual errors in post- season broadcasts. In response to these criticisms, He said, "It wasn't the job that I had when I came here in the first place. It would be like being a pinch-hitter or being a relief pitcher that works once every 10 days. I'm better when I work more." From article at Playerswiki.com.

    I can't think of a replacement off the top that would be a great addition. I don't think any of the current FSS/FSSE staff would do any better or add to the daily broadcast crew.

    Thoughts???

  2. #2
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 560 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim Powell over on the radio side is phenomenal
    Mark Bowman's reports carry a lot of gravity

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

    DirkPiggler (05-24-2019),Freshmaker (05-25-2019),Jaw (05-24-2019),JohnAdcox (05-25-2019),UNCBlue012 (05-24-2019)

  4. #3
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    14,515
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,882 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broadcasters don't really bother me that much bc I kinda tune them out for the most part anyway. With that said, Chip calls every foul off as "he had a good cut at that" and now he's stuck on the word "ambush".

    I wouldn't mind him being replaced. I'd love to hear jim Powell do play-by-play on tv. I really enjoy him on braves' radio

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

    Individual-1 (05-24-2019),Jaw (05-24-2019)

  6. #4
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    14,515
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,882 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Jim Powell over on the radio side is phenomenal
    Ha, beat me to it. I would hate to lose him on radio. I listen to a lot of games on radio... love to switch it up some

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

    JohnAdcox (05-25-2019)

  8. #5
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,740
    Thanks
    6,832
    Thanked 6,905 Times in 3,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just move Powell and Sutton from radio to TV.
    Forever Fredi


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Individual-1 For This Useful Post:

    Jaw (05-24-2019)

  10. #6
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,740
    Thanks
    6,832
    Thanked 6,905 Times in 3,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forever Fredi


  11. #7
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5,325
    Thanks
    219
    Thanked 871 Times in 668 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's fine.

  12. #8
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    22,935
    Thanks
    1,696
    Thanked 8,048 Times in 5,055 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listened to the Giants team during this past series. That's a very good crew. Krukow has long been one of my favorites and the others are good too.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  13. #9
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,740
    Thanks
    6,832
    Thanked 6,905 Times in 3,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I listened to the Giants team during this past series. That's a very good crew. Krukow has long been one of my favorites and the others are good too.
    Giants and Brewers have it good for both TV and radio.

    Jon Miller is one of the best ever. Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN no longer feels like a big event anymore since they got rid of him.
    Forever Fredi


  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Individual-1 For This Useful Post:

    bravesfanforlife88 (05-24-2019),JohnAdcox (05-25-2019)

  15. #10
    It's OVER 5,000! msstate7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    14,515
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,882 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Giants and Brewers have it good for both TV and radio.

    Jon Miller is one of the best ever. Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN no longer feels like a big event anymore since they got rid of him.
    Love miller

    Does Steve stone still work? He was one of my favorites

  16. #11
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,740
    Thanks
    6,832
    Thanked 6,905 Times in 3,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Love miller

    Does Steve stone still work? He was one of my favorites
    think he works on White Sox broadcasts. Replaced Hawk Harrelson.
    Forever Fredi


  17. #12
    Still Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    900
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 404 Times in 234 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Giants and Brewers have it good for both TV and radio.

    Jon Miller is one of the best ever. Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN no longer feels like a big event anymore since they got rid of him.
    I never cared for Miller, mainly because of how he liked to show off his knowledge of how to pronounce the Latin American players' names (he was wrong quite often on them). He sounded much more like a hype man/ ring announcer for a boxing match than a baseball PBP guy in those cases.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

    salmagundy (05-24-2019)

  19. #13
    Still Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    900
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 404 Times in 234 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ha, beat me to it. I would hate to lose him on radio. I listen to a lot of games on radio... love to switch it up some
    Whenever I'm in a situation where I have to watch the games on MLB.TV on my laptop, I overlay the radio broadcast onto the video and listen to Powell and Joe/Don/Ben Ingram. They do a great job. Even Simpson seems to be much better on radio than he was on TV.

    I wish either MLBAM or Apple would update their Apple TV and iOS apps so that you could do the radio overlay on those platforms as well.

  20. #14
    Mashin' to Mississippi
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    534
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 160 Times in 96 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it was nice hearing Jon Miller calling a game again. I loved how he pronounced "Furcal" back in the day, with heavy emphasis on the 'ur'.

    I like Jon Sciambi on the ESPN side. He was apparently a Braves broadcaster a few years ago, but I never got to hear him on any of those broadcasts.

  21. #15
    Still Playing the Waiting Game
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    900
    Thanks
    461
    Thanked 404 Times in 234 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Yeah it was nice hearing Jon Miller calling a game again. I loved how he pronounced "Furcal" back in the day, with heavy emphasis on the 'ur'.

    I like Jon Sciambi on the ESPN side. He was apparently a Braves broadcaster a few years ago, but I never got to hear him on any of those broadcasts.
    That's what I hated about Miller.

    ERRRRRRRRRAF-EYE-el (with requisite tongue roll) FORE-cal

    That would've been fine if Miller had been the PA announcer for the game. It didn't work (for me at least) in the flow of calling play-by-play.

  22. #16
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,740
    Thanks
    6,832
    Thanked 6,905 Times in 3,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    I never cared for Miller, mainly because of how he liked to show off his knowledge of how to pronounce the Latin American players' names (he was wrong quite often on them). He sounded much more like a hype man/ ring announcer for a boxing match than a baseball PBP guy in those cases.
    Strange.

    He always made an effort to meet the latin players on the field and ask them how their names were pronounced in their home country.

    For example, people were giving him a lot of flack for pronouncing Betemit as "Bet-uh-me". The Braves guys had been saying "Betta-mitt" the entire season. He told the story that he met Wilson before the game and asked him how to pronounce it. Wilson said Betta-mitt was fine because everyone else in the US kept saying it so he just gave up on correcting them. But Miller was insistent on respecting the way their names were supposed to be pronounced as if the were back home in Latin America.


    Miller was perfect for a Sunday Night game. Because after a long week, it was perfect to just wind down your Sunday and relax and listen to him call a game just like Al Michaels for NFL. Even when the Braves weren't on Sundays, I would watch Sunday Night just to fall asleep listening to Miller call a game because his voice was very smooth and relaxing.
    Forever Fredi


  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Individual-1 For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (05-24-2019),Runnin (05-26-2019)

  24. #17
    Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

    Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Individual-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    School of Hard Cox
    Posts
    17,740
    Thanks
    6,832
    Thanked 6,905 Times in 3,955 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    Whenever I'm in a situation where I have to watch the games on MLB.TV on my laptop, I overlay the radio broadcast onto the video and listen to Powell and Joe/Don/Ben Ingram. They do a great job. Even Simpson seems to be much better on radio than he was on TV.

    I wish either MLBAM or Apple would update their Apple TV and iOS apps so that you could do the radio overlay on those platforms as well.
    Is it synced when you do that or delayed?
    Forever Fredi


  25. #18
    Arbitration Eligible
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Orlando,FL
    Posts
    3,452
    Thanks
    504
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 560 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Just move Powell and Sutton from radio to TV.
    I think Sutton is on his way out. He doesn’t do many games anymore. That’s a shame because he is so great to listen to
    Mark Bowman's reports carry a lot of gravity

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

    TomahawkCult (05-24-2019)

  27. #19
    Anytime Now Frankie...
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 259 Times in 165 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually like Chip. He’s family!

  28. #20
    Shift Leader CyYoung31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,300
    Thanks
    996
    Thanked 5,547 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    Strange.

    He always made an effort to meet the latin players on the field and ask them how their names were pronounced in their home country.

    For example, people were giving him a lot of flack for pronouncing Betemit as "Bet-uh-me". The Braves guys had been saying "Betta-mitt" the entire season. He told the story that he met Wilson before the game and asked him how to pronounce it. Wilson said Betta-mitt was fine because everyone else in the US kept saying it so he just gave up on correcting them. But Miller was insistent on respecting the way their names were supposed to be pronounced as if the were back home in Latin America.


    Miller was perfect for a Sunday Night game. Because after a long week, it was perfect to just wind down your Sunday and relax and listen to him call a game just like Al Michaels for NFL. Even when the Braves weren't on Sundays, I would watch Sunday Night just to fall asleep listening to Miller call a game because his voice was very smooth and relaxing.
    Huh. I didn’t know all that. My respect for him has gone up a lot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •