Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in CK and DK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I like you. You know I like you. But that package is madness.

I don't like the idea of just Wentz for Bumgarner, although that's probably a reasonable price, but Gausman will probably be worth more than Bumgarner by himself this year, at a lower price.
    I do think you like me and just the fact that you do doesn't mean you shouldn't outright disagree with me or think I'm looney.

As the deadline looms I think we are going to be surprised as to the type of players that are in play for Bumgarner. Again, no stars or top 50 prospects but there is going to have to be a decent amount of value returned.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I'm fine with MadBum as long as it's minimal prospects. Want zero part in giving him an extension though. Kuechel also would be nice as long as it's short deal. I'd easily offer both CK and CK upwards of 7 million for the remaining portion of 2019 if they'd take that.
    $7M probably won’t come close.

Kimbrel will likely need the prorated portion of ~$20M to sign for a single year. So that’s about $10M-$15M if he’s willing to sign for just this season.

I would be in favor of the Braves ponying up that amount onna short term deal for Kimbrel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I do think you like me and just the fact that you do doesn't mean you shouldn't outright disagree with me or think I'm looney.

As the deadline looms I think we are going to be surprised as to the type of players that are in play for Bumgarner. Again, no stars or top 50 prospects but there is going to have to be a decent amount of value returned.
    Please share your thoughts on the value Bumgarner will return so we aren’t surprised.

Then I’ll post his actual surplus value and we will see who’s right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I would much rather overpay Kimbrel than to pay the prospect price for a closer. With DK we should not expect our rotation to stay fully healthy the rest of the year. DK would probably take more time to get ready as a starter so we might not even see him till around the all star break even if we signed him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    $7M probably won’t come close.

Kimbrel will likely need the prorated portion of ~$20M to sign for a single year. So that’s about $10M-$15M if he’s willing to sign for just this season.

I would be in favor of the Braves ponying up that amount onna short term deal for Kimbrel.
    Yeah it would be amazing if we could sell Kimbrel on the idea of a prorated 1 year deal to "rebuild his value"... But I'm skeptical of him taking it. I'd be fine with offering multiple years, but nothing that carries him past 2021. My best offer would probably be 3 years/45 million structured as 12/16/17

Edit: Actually, I suppose I'd be willing to push that number to 3/50 structured as 12/18/20, but I'd be more hesitant about it.
    Last edited by BeanieAntics; 05-26-2019 at 09:50 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Please share your thoughts on the value Bumgarner will return so we aren’t surprised.

Then I’ll post his actual surplus value and we will see who’s right.
    I might give them Ynoa and Alex Jackson. That's about it. Absutely no one better than a 40 FV.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I might give them Ynoa and Alex Jackson. That's about it. Absutely no one better than a 40 FV.
    I wonder if the Giants have any interest in a package of veterans that can help for the next few years. Does Gausman/Inciarte/Duvall have any appeal?

Will anyone give up a premium prospect? If not, then it might make more sense to get proven production and then try to flip them next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I'll believe it when/if any of it happens. I just doubt it I guess.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    I wonder if the Giants have any interest in a package of veterans that can help for the next few years. Does Gausman/Inciarte/Duvall have any appeal?

Will anyone give up a premium prospect? If not, then it might make more sense to get proven production and then try to flip them next year.
    You realize Gausman and MadBum are pretty similar at this point don't you? Not only that, but getting rid of valuable 25 man roster players like Ender and Gausman in the middle of a pennant race is the insanely stupid.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Somebody has zero clue about player valuation....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah it would be amazing if we could sell Kimbrel on the idea of a prorated 1 year deal to "rebuild his value"... But I'm skeptical of him taking it. I'd be fine with offering multiple years, but nothing that carries him past 2021. My best offer would probably be 3 years/45 million structured as 12/16/17

Edit: Actually, I suppose I'd be willing to push that number to 3/50 structured as 12/18/20, but I'd be more hesitant about it.
    Looking at how poorly almost all multi year deals for FA BP arms have turned out, I hope the Braves go nowhere near that kind of cash for Kimbrel.

Top offer from the Braves should be $15M for the rest of this year plus a $20M option on 2020 with a $5M buyout. That gets Kimbrel his 1 year deal for $20M, and let’s the Braves off the hook after this season if needed.

If some other team wants to double that OFer, they can have Kimbrel declining in their BP making huge dollars.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (05-28-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I think part of Kimbrels problem is that he wasnt the dominant closer in the playoffs that we all thought he would be. Playoffs are where elite closers earn that big money. He also has other limitations like not being a closer you bring in with men on base and has rarely gone beyond 1 inning. I think it could be reasonable he signs a 1 year pro rated deal knowing we have a good chance at the playoffs hoping to redeem himself there. I dont think Fenway was a good park for Kimbrel to pitch in and the AL East in general is brutal for pitchers.

Anyone know where he currently lives.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Maybe I’m just behind here, but I just don’t get the obsession with Bumgarner. Maybe he’s the guy he was pre-injury, but he looks nothing like himself, and hasn’t for a while. And frankly, the numbers back that up.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Maybe I’m just behind here, but I just don’t get the obsession with Bumgarner. Maybe he’s the guy he was pre-injury, but he looks nothing like himself, and hasn’t for a while. And frankly, the numbers back that up.
    He's a name but he's clearly not the same guy when the Giants were winning all those WS. Only rotation move would be to get a clear frontline starter.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I don’t dislike Madbum or Kimbrel. I just think San Fran will want compensation like he is the old Madbum. I would trade from strength . If they would take a package built around Inciarte (who in my opinion had way more surplus value)...that’s fine. He isn’t what he used to be, but he’s still a crafty vet that knows the playoffs.

Half the season will be over , so Giving Kimbrel 10-15 mil is like giving him 25 mil and don’t kid yourself...after he is signed, it’s not like he will just come in and pitch. He will need time to get ready.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Ideally for me, a Kimbrel signing is announced Sunday - IIRC, he and Keuchel can be signed after midnight Saturday without compensation. Of course a one-year deal is optimal, but I'm OK with a 1/1, 2, or even a 3-year deal (including this season) if the $$$ are right - the Acuna and Ozzie deals have provided that flexibility with Julio, O'Day, and potentially Ender and/or Gausman coming off the books this winter.

Follow that up with a Duvall (Duvall/Demeritte) for Will Smith deal, and I think I can finally watch games past the 6th inning again. Kimbrel in the 9th and Smith in the 8th would finally put everyone in roles they're more suited for - especially if Minter's got his *hit back together. Swarzak, Jackson, and Tomlin can serve as your "bridge guys" in the 6th/7th innings (along with Sobotka and Winkler when they're right), Newk and Touki can serve as long guys, and Blevins can be your LOOGY if kept around.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He's a name but he's clearly not the same guy when the Giants were winning all those WS. Only rotation move would be to get a clear frontline starter.
    Or is he just recovering from fluky injuries the past 2 years?
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Or is he just recovering from fluky injuries the past 2 years?
    when do you expect him to regain form? because he hasn’t this year.
    trading gausman for him isn’t just pointless, but counter-productive.
    there’s no reason to be pining for madbum. he’s just a name at this point.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    when do you expect him to regain form? because he hasn’t this year.
    trading gausman for him isn’t just pointless, but counter-productive.
    there’s no reason to be pining for madbum. he’s just a name at this point.
    Hes at a 3-3.5 WAR pace and has a delta of 7.5 between k/bb rate. Id say those are pretty good signs he is close to 'back'.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Hes at a 3-3.5 WAR pace and has a delta of 7.5 between k/bb rate. Id say those are pretty good signs he is close to 'back'.
    i’m not plainly opposed to acquiring him. but he’s almost definitely going to cost more than he’s worth due to his name and past. i don’t want to pay a premium for his past performance.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg