Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in CK and DK

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Hes at a 3-3.5 WAR pace and has a delta of 7.5 between k/bb rate. Id say those are pretty good signs he is close to 'back'.
    Bumgarner has 1 fWAR through 68 innings. Gausman has 1 fWAR through 54 innings. Gausman is as much a TOR pitcher at this point as MadBum is.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Bumgarner has 1 fWAR through 68 innings. Gausman has 1 fWAR through 54 innings. Gausman is as much a TOR pitcher at this point as MadBum is.
    Out of his 9 starts (grtting tossed in miami is irrelevant) gausman went 6 or more 5 times twice completing 7 innings.

Out of 11 starts bumgarner has gone 6 or more 10 tomes two of which were 7 innong outings. His expected FIP is almosy .5 run lower thanks in part to an inflated hr/fb rate.

Gausman is what hes always been. A solid 3. Bumgarner has the ceiling now that he is healthy for much more
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i’m not plainly opposed to acquiring him. but he’s almost definitely going to cost more than he’s worth due to his name and past. i don’t want to pay a premium for his past performance.
    I agree if the price is high im out. I see inciarte and gausman has fungible pieces that can be given up for an upgrade.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Or is he just recovering from fluky injuries the past 2 years?
    doubtful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    doubtful
    Hes 30
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Excuse me....29
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I agree if the price is high im out. I see inciarte and gausman has fungible pieces that can be given up for an upgrade.
    you’re only hoping bum is an upgrade tho. that’s far from a guarantee. if it ends up being one, it’s very likely only minimal.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    you’re only hoping bum is an upgrade tho. that’s far from a guarantee. if it ends up being one, it’s very likely only minimal.
    I understand why thats the prevailing thought. Im just giving a bunch of weight to fluky injuries and realizing that at the top of his game bumgarner is still one of the best in the game
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Out of his 9 starts (grtting tossed in miami is irrelevant) gausman went 6 or more 5 times twice completing 7 innings.

Out of 11 starts bumgarner has gone 6 or more 10 tomes two of which were 7 innong outings. His expected FIP is almosy .5 run lower thanks in part to an inflated hr/fb rate.

Gausman is what hes always been. A solid 3. Bumgarner has the ceiling now that he is healthy for much more
    None of that has anything to do with the fact that Gausman and MadBum have the same fWAR (and Gaus has a higher WAR per inning)

Also, who says his HR rate is inflated? He is declining and also has the lowest GB rate of his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    None of that has anything to do with the fact that Gausman and MadBum have the same fWAR (and Gaus has a higher WAR per inning)

Also, who says his HR rate is inflated? He is declining and also has the lowest GB rate of his career.
    WAR is a past performance metric. xFIP is a better predictor.

And his HR rate is inflated in comparison to even his most recent years so I would expect that to go down which is another factor why his xFIP is much better than Gausmans.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

I would pick Madbum because he is a proven playoff guy. He will fight tooth and nail.

Imagine having Soroka, Fried and then Folty/Madbum and the odd man out ready to come in if the game if any of the top three struggle.

That said. I don’t think the price will be right at all.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Is it legal to negotiate that you will not use the QO on someone?

I still think people forget that CK had some struggles last year and has a lot of miles on his arm. It's unlikely he's up to form until almost half way through the season. I'd pay big money to get him on a one year deal and maybe some 20+ million dollar team options. I'd be very very concerned about anything more than two years.

I don't see why DK would be a fit at all.

I don't see why ppl want Bumgardner so bad. If the Giants want to give him away, fine. I wouldn't give up anyone in our top 20 for Bumgardner. I'm not sure that I'd sign him as a FA now.

I like Folty, Soroka, Fried and Gausman as my 1-4 this year and next year. I'm worried about health with the first 3, but it is what it is. I still have Touki, Wright, Wilson, Newk, Weigel, etc , etc as 5th starter options for the minimum. I'd much rather spend my money on high annual value but low guaranteed years Relief Pitchers or a LH bat with an OPS north of 800 (if I can figure out where to play him). Maybe it's a high annual value, low year Grandal move.

I don't see how you can spend more than 10 million on a pitcher unless he's an absolute stud AND you have a trade where you turn some of the Touki,Wright, Wilson, Newk, Weigel etc folks into something at really upgrades your team. Honestly they'll maybe think about flipping Gausman because there is a decent chance they can get his production from one of those guys.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Other than all his arguing, as usual I agree with Enscheff (he'd make a great asst GM). Pay what it takes to get Kimbrell for a year or two. I'm as much concerned with his regression as I am with some our young pitchers stepping up and we really don't need Kimbrell. If no moves are make I already think Newcomb will take the closer role from Jackson in a few months. Jackson and Minter will be the main setup men. Wilson and Weigel will be in the pen by the end of the year. Wright and Touki will be used to keep Soroka (and to some degree Fried) from going over their innings limits before the playoffs. Mueller and Victor Vodnik or someone like that will step up to be solid pen pieces by next year.

We have all these pitchers. That used to be how it worked, young pitchers went to the pen to learn MLB pitching and to earn a spot in the rotation. And the way it worked with Fried and seems to be working with Newcomb will make use go that way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Wow...

Talk about being completely out of touch with player valuation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    The Gausman hate here is really bizarre.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Carp (05-27-2019), Jaw (05-28-2019), JohnAdcox (05-27-2019), jpx7 (05-27-2019), nsacpi (05-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Nobody can argue that if Tomlin became Kimbrel that the Pen wouldn't be better.

You might argue if we only have X million in our budget this year and Kimbrel takes it all, then we have issues on the deadline. I do not think this way because we are honestly pretty full at the critical spots. It would have to be a big time trade to get someone who would start a playoff game over Folty, Soroka and Fried. Barring a major injury the positions are pretty locked down.

If I could get CK for 20 million this year and a team option for 20-25 million next year I'd do it. I'm not sure the Braves will spend that money. They should.

If CK gets 3/50 or 4/60+ I'd be very concerned that the team is going to hate that. I don't think the Braves can handle 15+ million in dead money and be very successful.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Question: Does the draft pick compensation end once the draft starts, or after it finishes?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    WAR is a past performance metric. xFIP is a better predictor.

And his HR rate is inflated in comparison to even his most recent years so I would expect that to go down which is another factor why his xFIP is much better than Gausmans.
    Hr rate of 1.38 in 2017 and he's been I steady decline from his prime years in that department.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wow...

Talk about being completely out of touch with player valuation.
    But you don't understand, weakening our team in other areas for a marginal upgrade at best in the rotation will make this team "fun to watch."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-27-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Nobody can argue that if Tomlin became Kimbrel that the Pen wouldn't be better.

You might argue if we only have X million in our budget this year and Kimbrel takes it all, then we have issues on the deadline. I do not think this way because we are honestly pretty full at the critical spots. It would have to be a big time trade to get someone who would start a playoff game over Folty, Soroka and Fried. Barring a major injury the positions are pretty locked down.

If I could get CK for 20 million this year and a team option for 20-25 million next year I'd do it. I'm not sure the Braves will spend that money. They should.

If CK gets 3/50 or 4/60+ I'd be very concerned that the team is going to hate that. I don't think the Braves can handle 15+ million in dead money and be very successful.
    I mean you could argue signing CK removes the need to make a move at the deadline (barring injury of course). And we could still make moves, we'd just have to have the other team pick up the tab.