Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Hudson signs with Giants

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Apparently the Braves upped their offer to two years but weren't close with the money. I guess in the market for a veteran now, although they do have five starters. They're in better position to withstand this than most teams are. That said hate to see such a class act leave.
    Very well said.

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    Definitely will be missed but I think we could be better off. He was a great leader but I think a guy like Lohse would be a better fit for this team.
    Still have a hard time imagining the Braves meeting that trade cost. I would truly love for someone to convince me that I'm wrong.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    23 million? Holy crap.

Braves are screwed if this ownership doesn't pony up money for extensions.
    You would of given Huddy that over 2 years coming off a BAD ankle injury?

I do agree they better nut up and offer some young guys extensions, now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I wouldn't have offered him more than a 1 year deal at 8 million. Just stupid the amount of money being thrown around by most teams in baseball. I hate Liberty Media. Put some more damn money into the team!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    eh, I got tired of him always being the guy they talked to on national broadcasts.

seriously, I wish him the best.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    All the best to Tim Hudson in San Francisco. True class act and he will be missed by the Braves.

From the Braves perspective, does the rotation get another arm? At this point, this is the possible/probable rotation (no particular order):

Kris Medlen
    Mike Minor
    Julio Teheran
    Brandon Beachy
    Alex Wood

Now, this is a talented rotation of pitchers. But, this is a very young rotation. It will be one of the youngest in all of MLB. Is that too young and is it good enough to win a championship? I still think Wren needs to at least talk to the Rays about David Price. The pitchers listed above have great potential. Not sure if it is championship caliber yet.

And no, I didn't forget Paul Maholm. I see no reason to bring him back.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    The inflation in the free agent market makes a trade for a pitcher more likely. Lohse's contract 10M/year for 2 more years suddenly looks like a bargain. If the Red Sox really mean to trade one of their starters, I'd be ok with Peavy. He's only got one more year on his contract at $14.5M.

What are the areas the Braves have a surplus they can deal from? We have a ton of right-handed pitching in the upper minors that could be dealt. I don't think we need Bethancourt if Gattis is going to be our starting catcher. We could also move one of Salcedo/Kubitza.

The advantage to signing a FA is you don't have to trade away talent. But the inflation in the FA market is offsetting some of that.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-18-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    All the best to Tim Hudson in San Francisco. True class act and he will be missed by the Braves.

From the Braves perspective, does the rotation get another arm? At this point, this is the possible/probable rotation (no particular order):

Kris Medlen
    Mike Minor
    Julio Teheran
    Brandon Beachy
    Alex Wood

Now, this is a talented rotation of pitchers. But, this is a very young rotation. It will be one of the youngest in all of MLB. Is that too young and is it good enough to win a championship? I still think Wren needs to at least talk to the Rays about David Price. The pitchers listed above have great potential. Not sure if it is championship caliber yet.

And no, I didn't forget Paul Maholm. I see no reason to bring him back.
    The other guy in the picture is David Hale. He made a strong impression at the end of last season, though on a tiny sample. I would be ok with Hale and Wood battling it out in spring training for the 5th spot in the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    Good luck to Huddy! I wish all manner of evils on the rest of that team and organization, though. SF can bite a big one!
    Oh I will always hate San Fran. Much respect for Huddy though.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Huddy has always been a sentimental favorite of mine. I'm really bummed to see him go, especially to one of the douchiest teams in the league. He's a tough one to replace in the clubhouse too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nocalgirl10 For This Useful Post:

drewdat (11-18-2013)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    We're in a good position. I feel like we could have a top notch rotation if we go to battle with what we have. Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, and Wood could be real tough. We have some depth guys in Hale, Northcraft, Martin, Gilmartin but definitely would have to bring in some more depth. I wouldn't mind Freddy Garcia back in the long relief/spot start role. Now I would definitely try to add proven veteran to the rotation but it has to be a good fit. I don't think we need to make a move just to make a move.

I know that's a young rotation but Minor and Medlen are now at the point that they are ready to carry the rotation. Teheran went through a lot last year and could be as good as any #3 out there. The youth of this rotation doesn't worry me because they have experience.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Love huddy and don't blame him.

no way do I give Huddy 2 years at more that 10 per. I'd give him 10 for one ideally or I'd pay less if I had to give two years.

He is old, he is coming off an injury, and he needs a strong infield D behind him.

The Braves can find pitching. I believe in this organization and developing, finding pitchers.

Spend money on hitters and buying out arb years. IF Heyward and Freeman aren't interested in buying out arb years (per rumors), then Braves are cursed.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Hard to imagine Freeman or Heyward would be interested in an extension with the prices being thrown around the FA market this year. Even harder to imagine the Braves signing a FA pitcher now.

Trades?????? Who knows.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    San Francisco has now made two incredibly iffy SP signings this offseason. Relative to value (as opposed to the current market) Hudson is NOT worth more than $9 million, especially when additional years are thrown into the equation. Brilliant move by Wren holding back here ... I don't think the Braves ever had interest in retaining him at cost -- there is just too much talent out there right now available at far, far less a price.

I hope he gets it handed to him next season in SF.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Bdawg2309 (11-18-2013), Knucksie (11-19-2013)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Good forHuddy, but we can't pay him that much
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Enjoyed Hudson while he was with us, but I don't fault the Braves for not joining the madness.

Can't believe the Phils gave Ruiz what they did. McCann is going to cost $15 M per.

We're going to need a veteran or two on the staff. Lots of interesting guys to take a flyer on, but with Hudson getting this much, I can only imagine what Johan Santana will get.

Mark me down in the column that doesn't believe Northcraft or Gilmartin will ever do much at the big league level in a starting rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    I hate to see Hudson go. We are undergoing one hell of a youth movement losing Chipper,McCann, and Hudson in two seasons. Only player that is 30 or older and likely to be on the opening day roster is Laird. Should have given Hudson qualifying offer imo.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Mark me down in the column that doesn't believe Northcraft or Gilmartin will ever do much at the big league level in a starting rotation.
    I think those two guys are behind Wood, Hale and Martin. I'd be fine with having Wood and Hale compete for the fifth spot in the rotation. My first choice would be signing Josh Johnson on a one-year deal, but Wood or Hale would probably be better than someone like Bronson Arroyo.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think those two guys are behind Wood, Hale and Martin. I'd be fine with having Wood and Hale compete for the fifth spot in the rotation. My first choice would be signing Josh Johnson on a one-year deal, but Wood or Hale would probably be better than someone like Bronson Arroyo.
    I would guess they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind Wood and Hale, but can at least see Martin in the distance ahead of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts