Thread: BRAVES DRAFT SIGNING BOARD: Facts, reacts, news

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,982 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This from an article from the Valley Press last November when Estes signed with Long Beach State.

"Estes started out as a catcher when he first started playing baseball as a 4-year-old. He started pitching and catching when he was about 6 or 7 years old.
    “I’ve been pitching ever since,” Estes said. “But, competitively, freshman year. That’s when I took it serious.”
    Entering high school was when Estes really started to hone his talent as a pitcher.
    “I thank God for my gift when I was younger, because it got me through because of how hard I threw,” he said. “I just threw the ball, there was really no (technique).
    “But as soon as I came in here freshman year, I had guys like Griffin Hagen —I’ve known him my whole life — he took me under his wings and taught me a lot of things.”
    Estes said he threw consistently at 77-81 mph as a freshman, topping off at 83 mph. He pitched 26.2 innings in nine appearances (three starts) and posted a 1.05 ERA with 31 strikeouts and 16 walks.
    After working with Hagen and Paraclete pitching coach Mike Fullmer, he upped his speed, topping out at 94 mph in a big playoff game against Righetti his sophomore year.
    Estes finished that season with a 0.31 ERA and 9-1 record. He pitched in 15 appearances, 12 starts, with five complete games. In his 90 innings pitched, he allowed 35 walks and struck out 97 batters, allowing just four extra-base hits, all doubles.
    That’s when he really started getting the attention of college coaches. Estes posted another sub-2.00 ERA in his junior year."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Why is it either/or? I don't follow the draft at all as well as our bonus pool. Do we not have enough funds to allocate to meet Backstrom's demands?
    It's been my estimate that there wouldn't be enough money to sign them both given their likely bonus demands. We'll have to wait and see what Estes signed for to see if I'm right. I haven't kept a running tally, but it took almost $500 K to get Morton. I would venture to guess it will take that much to get Backstrom.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I had that same feeling at times, but someone mentioned earlier that "the TC guys" were hinting that both had signed. Given that they were right (even though I've seen no mention of either signing on their site) about Estes, it's definitely worth holding out hope.
    I hope they are correct.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,982 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLB Draft tracker adds no new names, but has filled in a lot of the lower-round bonuses. None of the new numbers are over slot.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (Today),jpx7 (Yesterday)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope Mahki signs soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,195 Times in 5,150 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    Hope Mahki signs soon.
    let's offer him a Tesla
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (Today)