Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
While we wait for the tentpost signings, Estes and Backstrom, to decide, here is an excerpt of an article printed in the Valley Press:

"The Atlanta Braves selected star Paraclete pitcher Joey Estes in the 16th round Wednesday, confident they can convince the right-hander to forgo a scholarship to Long Beach State and begin his professional career immediately.
Once Estes, 17, went undrafted in the first two days of the MLB Draft, he expressed anticipation about enrolling at Long Beach State and playing for one of the elite college baseball programs in America. Atlanta indicated to Chad Eberhardt, Estes’ advisor, that they could meet the price tag necessary to turn pro immediately.
It would depend on if previous draft picks signed at bonus levels the organization budgeted for, so there could be some waiting involved."
I always find the waiting game and search for additional leverage by players' reps rather funny at this point. With the Top 10 accounted for along with every one of the next 15 guys picked other than the two of them, Drew Campbell, and Chad Bryant - exactly how much more leverage do they think they have? The chance that Campbell or Bryant will get more than $125,000 is next to nothing, meaning their reps ought to know almost exactly what the Braves have left to spend on either (or both).

If I were considering signing at all, I think I'd find that midpoint and tell them I'm signing if they hit it. Better to be the one holding a bag of cash rather than taking the chance they decide they'd rather have the guy who plays on the side of the ball you don't (hitter/Pitcher) and throw what's left at him.