Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: BRAVES FINAL DRAFT SIGNING BOARD: Backstrom on board!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    While we wait for the tentpost signings, Estes and Backstrom, to decide, here is an excerpt of an article printed in the Valley Press:

"The Atlanta Braves selected star Paraclete pitcher Joey Estes in the 16th round Wednesday, confident they can convince the right-hander to forgo a scholarship to Long Beach State and begin his professional career immediately.
    Once Estes, 17, went undrafted in the first two days of the MLB Draft, he expressed anticipation about enrolling at Long Beach State and playing for one of the elite college baseball programs in America. Atlanta indicated to Chad Eberhardt, Estes’ advisor, that they could meet the price tag necessary to turn pro immediately.
    It would depend on if previous draft picks signed at bonus levels the organization budgeted for, so there could be some waiting involved."
    I always find the waiting game and search for additional leverage by players' reps rather funny at this point. With the Top 10 accounted for along with every one of the next 15 guys picked other than the two of them, Drew Campbell, and Chad Bryant - exactly how much more leverage do they think they have? The chance that Campbell or Bryant will get more than $125,000 is next to nothing, meaning their reps ought to know almost exactly what the Braves have left to spend on either (or both).

If I were considering signing at all, I think I'd find that midpoint and tell them I'm signing if they hit it. Better to be the one holding a bag of cash rather than taking the chance they decide they'd rather have the guy who plays on the side of the ball you don't (hitter/Pitcher) and throw what's left at him.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    zb, it gets really tiresome having you chase me around sniffing my arsehole all the time. If you don't like what I post, move on.

You build these strawman constructions about what I've posted or said then swerve out of your way to pound your chest every chance you get.

I said at the beginning that, while I don't have ANY dislike of Freeman and think he's a great player, his value was likely best to the Braves as trade material given the right return. There's no way to know for sure if that was right or not, since it didn't happen. We will know at some point if having Freeman around made the difference between winning a WS or not, winning in the playoffs or not and being able to sustain a good team for an extended window or not.

My concern about position players (and pitchers as well) has been and is about the low minors which is a data point significant to any extended window instead of a KC-like rise and fall. That remains. There doesn't appear to be much below AA and, given the arrival of the competitive window, the upper minors will likely be degraded through trades as soon as the end of this month. The Braves have no real wave effect of talent. They really have a Tsunami that is hitting with not much behind it. The contract extensions of Acuna and Albies mitigates that concern somewhat.

And, I guess while I'm at this, I advocated exploring a trade with Baltimore last year that would have included taking back Chris Davis. The point then, as now, was that IF the Braves could take on the salary while getting back enough long term value with OTHER players where cutting Davis as necessary, then it might be worthwhile. It was a way of buying talent. You know, like spending millions of dollars on HS, college and international players, you spend money on a dead asset that brings more value than the money given up. Was that idea great? Probably not as it turns out. Not because of Davis's further degeneration but because Baltimore's assets appear to all be bad and you likely couldn't get enough back under ANY circumstances.

Tearing down your strawmen gets old. If you don't agree with a position I take, I welcome civil critical dialog. If you can't understand a position that I take, I will try to educate you to a point. When you continuously take a position that I take, twist it and reintroduce as something it wasn't with a comment that is designed to be confrontational you just come off as small minded, petty, needy and weak.
    Nope I always respond to stupid crap whenever it’s posted by anyone. If you get tired of “educating” me there is this amazing feature called block.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 06-17-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Nope I always respond to stupid crap whenever it’s posted by anyone. If you get tired of “educating” me there is this amazing feature called block.
    Why don't you grow up a little? As I said: small minded, petty, needy and weak internet warrior.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Have to disagree here. HH thoughts can be out there at times but they are not stupid. He generally takes time and researches his crazy deals and he just has a different opinion than a lot of folks. But he is stupid or flying of on homeristic tangents.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Have to disagree here. HH thoughts can be out there at times but they are not stupid. He generally takes time and researches his crazy deals and he just has a different opinion than a lot of folks. But he is stupid or flying of on homeristic tangents.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Why don't you grow up a little? As I said: small minded, petty, needy and weak internet warrior.
    👍👍

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Really hoping to hear good news on Estes and (especially) Backstrom. Matt Powers over at TC has written he’s heard both have agreed, in principle, but I’m not feeling confident until it’s officially announced, or at least until Backstrom takes “Fresno St Commit” out of his twitter bio.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-17-2019), clvclv (06-17-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Really hoping to hear good news on Estes and (especially) Backstrom. Matt Powers over at TC has written he’s heard both have agreed, in principle, but I’m not feeling confident until it’s officially announced, or at least until Backstrom takes “Fresno St Commit” out of his twitter bio.
    Yeah, the “agreed in principle” could be as simple as a verbal agreement before the Braves picked them. It does feel a little strange that our other HS picks were all reported as signed around similar times and these two aren’t. Hopefully we hear soon and they’re ready to go when the GCL starts up next week.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Yeah, the “agreed in principle” could be as simple as a verbal agreement before the Braves picked them. It does feel a little strange that our other HS picks were all reported as signed around similar times and these two aren’t. Hopefully we hear soon and they’re ready to go when the GCL starts up next week.
    Other four 11-20 high-schoolers are all southern guys; Estes and Backstrom are both SoCal (with California commitments). Wonder if that has anything to do with the speed, or toughens the negotiations at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Other four 11-20 high-schoolers are all southern guys; Estes and Backstrom are both SoCal (with California commitments). Wonder if that has anything to do with the speed, or toughens the negotiations at all.
    yeah but I hear Estes and Backstrom had pre-draft visits to atlanta for workouts during which they were plied with large amounts of sweet tea...so they are culturally southern now
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Coppy would have closed this out by now. Just give them a truck and be done with it.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (06-17-2019), clvclv (06-17-2019), gamecock4braves (06-17-2019), jpx7 (06-17-2019), nsacpi (06-17-2019), Tapate50 (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Coppy would have closed this out by now. Just give them a truck and be done with it.
    As Californians, they’d probably prefer a couple Teslas. That’s why area scouts are so important: to read and catalogue these tendencies.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

drewdat (06-17-2019), Super (06-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    As Californians, they’d probably prefer a couple Teslas. That’s why area scouts are so important: to read and catalogue these tendencies.
    they are not from those parts of California...a good area scout knows that of course

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

drewdat (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    they are not from those parts of California...a good area scout knows that of course
    Well, View Park–Windsor Hills is essentially Los Angeles; and while Antelope Valley might be western Mojave, it’s still LA County. Let’s just say that Susanvilles they are not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Well, View Park–Windsor Hills is essentially Los Angeles; and while Antelope Valley might be western Mojave, it’s still LA County. Let’s just say that Susanvilles they are not.
    ok I concede on View Park-Windsor Hills...a Tesla is a positive inducement there
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-17-2019 at 09:24 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    As a Bay Arean, I have to say 98% of the cars on the road are Tesla’s. The sheep love conformity.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-17-2019), nsacpi (06-17-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    As a Bay Arean, I have to say 98% of the cars on the road are Tesla’s. The sheep love conformity.
    The poors are jealous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Absolutely loathe the top 10 rounds of this draft but its encouraging to see all the signings after round 10. Dont know **** about them but some real good baseball names in there. Indigo Diaz and Bryce Ball have 80 grade baseball names. Wont be surprised if they are better than our first round bench players.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Absolutely loathe the top 10 rounds of this draft but its encouraging to see all the signings after round 10. Dont know **** about them but some real good baseball names in there. Indigo Diaz and Bryce Ball have 80 grade baseball names. Wont be surprised if they are better than our first round bench players.
    That seems a bit much. Harris and Paolini have loads of potential; Kalich could be a quick-rising reliever; Milligan and Parker have promise and could be small-school diamonds-in-the-rough. Moreover, if Langaliers hits (which I’m not sold on, but the Braves are) then he’ll be a definite starter in the bigs.