Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: BRAVES FINAL DRAFT SIGNING BOARD: Backstrom on board!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i also seem to have misplaced my Blind Stamp of Approval because i've yet to give one.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I think there’s a good chance we’ll know a lot about this draft in two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    I think there’s a good chance we’ll know a lot about this draft in two years.
    Maybe even three.
    Ivermectin Man

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-12-2019), Jaw (06-13-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Maybe even three.
    Perhaps five years would let us know even more.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-12-2019), Jaw (06-13-2019), Tapate50 (06-12-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    When a draft is bad, it becomes obvious very quickly.

The good drafts take a little longer to become apparent. What I hope for with respect to this draft is that a year from now as few players as possible have been filtered out.

If we look at last year's draft, it is already clear it is a poor one (even accounting for not signing the #1 pick and not having a #3 due to Coppy's shenanigans). Our top 3 picks--Jenista, Beck, Riley--all look like washouts. Vodnik could be a late round gem. I have some hopes for Graffanino and Alexander but they have been injured. At best, however, those two projected as bench players. Then there are a few Cinderella type possibilities--Logan Brown, Trey Harris, Justin Dean. But the best that can be said about them is they have kept themselves in the picture. Aside from Vodnik, there is no high upside possibility from this draft. I'll add Kingham to the list of players to mention from the 2018 draft. He could end up as a poor man's Tomlin.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-12-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Given that Jenitsa is already in AA, is reportedly still working through a swing-adjustment, and has good tools, I think it’s way too early to call him a washout.

I was critical of the Beck pick, but he’s barely been able to make pitch so far, so that seems premature as well.

Riley has certainly been a disappointment.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-12-2019), Jaw (06-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    due to Coppy's shenanigans
    that was a witch hunt
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (06-12-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    i'd also agree it's too early to make some calls on last year's draft...and would you have to include Langeliers in that group considering he's technically the 1st round pick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Given that Jenitsa is already in AA, is reportedly still working through a swing-adjustment, and has good tools, I think it’s way too early to call him a washout.

I was critical of the Beck pick, but he’s barely been able to make pitch so far, so that seems premature as well.

Riley has certainly been a disappointment.
    You are much more optimistic than I am. It is worth comparing 2018 to 2017 and 2016. I will set aside the first round picks from those drafts because there is no comparable pick from 2018.

But in the supplemental/second rounds we took Waters in 2017 and Wentz and Muller in 2016. All better picks than Jenista.

Among picks after the second round we have quite a few who have not been filtered out from 2017 (Tarnok, Bacon, Zimmerman who has been traded, and Delgado) and from 2016 (Wilson, Walker, Davidson, Clouse). Most will not pan out but they are still hanging in there with a chance. The 2016s are pretty impressive as a group. But it is too early to call it a good draft. For a draft to be average it has to have one impact player. There are a number of candidates from 2016, but it hasn't happened yet. Otoh I'm comfortable declaring 2015 a successful vintage due to Soroka coming from that year. It could be a great vintage if Riley pans out.

Over the past dozen years we've had 2 great vintages (2 or more impact players). 2007 (with Heyward and Freeman) and 2010 (Simmons and Gattis). I consider 2010 superior by virtue of our not having a first round pick that year. Our first pick in 2010 was #35 overall and our first pick was 2007 #14 overall. When you consider where we were picking 2010 has to get the nod.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    You are much more optimistic than I am. It is worth comparing 2018 to 2017 and 2016. I will set aside the first round picks from those drafts because there is no comparable pick from 2018.

But in the supplemental/second rounds we took Waters in 2017 and Wentz, Muller, Riley and Minter in 2016. All better picks than Jenista.

Among picks after the second round we have quite a few who have not been filtered out from 2017 (Tarnok, Bacon, Zimmerman who has been traded, and Delgado) and from 2016 (Wilson, Walker, Davidson, Clouse). Most will not pan out but they are still hanging in there with a chance. The 2016s are pretty impressive as a group.
    if you wanted to praise Coppy's drafts, you could've just done it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    if you wanted to praise Coppy's drafts, you could've just done it.
    Actually I've always been a big fan of the first HartCoppy draft (2015). And 2016 could turn out to be pretty good too.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

But in the supplemental/second rounds we took Waters in 2017 and Wentz and Muller in 2016. All better picks than Jenista.

Among picks after the second round we have quite a few who have not been filtered out from 2017 (Tarnok, Bacon, Zimmerman who has been traded, and Delgado) and from 2016 (Wilson, Walker, Davidson, Clouse). Most will not pan out but they are still hanging in there with a chance. The 2016s are pretty impressive as a group. But it is too early to call it a good draft. For a draft to be average it has to have one impact player. There are a number of candidates from 2016, but it hasn't happened yet. Otoh I'm comfortable declaring 2015 a successful vintage due to Soroka coming from that year. It could be a great vintage if Riley pans out.
    I’m not sure it’s optimism as much as mitigating-circumstance-based conservatism. Jenista is only 22, has been promoted aggressively, has reportedly been working through a swing adjustment, has maintained solid walk-rates in spite of that, only has around ~500 PA total in his professional career so far, and putatively has good tools. That just seems like far less than the threshold of “washout”.

Likewise, I was never a big believer in Beck, but he’s pitched all of 18.2 innings professionally; if we’re giving Graffanino and Alexander injury-passes, it seems like Beck deserves one, too—even allowing that injuries are more concerning, and more likely career-threatening, for pitchers.

I’m more comfortable thinking Riley may washout, however, since he’s a 21-year-old in A-ball who seems to be unable to command the ball well enough to let his stuff play up (6.30 k/9 v 5.04 bb/9 in 50 IP). Still, he’ll get some chances, I’m sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-13-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts

The good drafts take a little longer to become apparent. What I hope for with respect to this draft is that a year from now as few players as possible have been filtered out.

If we look at last year's draft, it is already clear it is a poor one (even accounting for not signing the #1 pick and not having a #3 due to Coppy's shenanigans). Our top 3 picks--Jenista, Beck, Riley--all look like washouts. Vodnik could be a late round gem. I have some hopes for Graffanino and Alexander but they have been injured. At best, however, those two projected as bench players. Then there are a few Cinderella type possibilities--Logan Brown, Trey Harris, Justin Dean. But the best that can be said about them is they have kept themselves in the picture. Aside from Vodnik, there is no high upside possibility from this draft. I'll add Kingham to the list of players to mention from the 2018 draft. He could end up as a poor man's Tomlin.
    You're much more pessimistic on Jenista and Graffanino than I am. I think both have a chance. I agree it's been a disappointing draft overall so far.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    DOB wrote that Langeliers will be at the game tonight. He also said that Shewmake will start playing at Rome whenever they deem him ready for action.

He also said they signed Langeliers for $1 million less than slot because he was expected to go 15-19 overall if not 9 to Atlanta.
    Also worth noting that there is a real 2019 bonus-pool difference in signing Shewmake for slot, versus not signing him at all (as some have suggested would be “preferable”, given his perceived lack of upside and the grass-is greener view on next year’s draft).

Losing the #21 slot from the pool, thanks to the 5% overage, would actually cost the Braves $156,615 in pool space—which might in fact represent the funds needed to lock down one of the day-three high-schoolers (if you assume they’ll need around double the $125k penalty-free bonus). That’s a non-trivial amount, especially in light of the day-three strategy.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-13-2019)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

The success or failure of the 2018 draft to me hinges on the longer term projections of Alexander and Graffanino. Alexander's injury is sounding much more like a pre-existing condition, but one that should be fully repaired (bone spurs). Graffanino seems much more problematic. Brown and Harris have been sensational, Vodnik was a steal, agree that Stewart-Beck-Riley were bad enough picks to cost Bridges his job. Jenista seems to have tools that a lot of people like; I withhold judgement for the moment on his status.

FYI, there is another thread started well before the draft that is the place for pissing contests and whining. Wanted this thread to be all or mostly about info on draftees and signing updates. Please?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-12-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    that was a witch hunt
    �� Lovely.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Harris got 550k, slightly under slot, Paolini way over slot at 600k.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-13-2019), buck75 (06-13-2019), jpx7 (06-13-2019), rico43 (06-13-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Harris got 550k, slightly under slot, Paolini way over slot at 600k.
    So we know $270,000 of the savings from Langeliers went to Paolini. Man, I hope they are right about Paolini.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    So we know $270,000 of the savings from Langeliers went to Paolini. Man, I hope they are right about Paolini.
    Kid had some bargaining power. Elon scholarship.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Kid had some bargaining power. Elon scholarship.
    He had the most leverage of any of the second day guys because the fifth round slot is relatively low. I guess 600 K was his number and the Braves knew that when the drafted him. Higher cost of living in Connecticut than in Georgia, so that had to be factored in (JK).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-13-2019)