Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Edition - Derek Jeter will retire at seasons end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Spending just to spend is one thing that I disagree with, but I have heard the song and dance of saving money for a midseason move and how you can get a player for half price at the deadline a million times, but in the end we don't end up doing much (probably not FW's fault). So i'll believe all this when I see it about having all this money.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Spending just to spend is one thing that I disagree with, but I have heard the song and dance of saving money for a midseason move and how you can get a player for half price at the deadline a million times, but in the end we don't end up doing much (probably not FW's fault). So i'll believe all this when I see it about having all this money.
    We did put in a claim on Lohse at the deadline last season. There is at least a hint there of willingness/ability to spend at the deadline. Maybe we were looking to make a deal that would have involved the Brewers picking up part of the salary. But we simply don't know because the Brewers pulled him back from waivers and said they had no interest in moving him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Me too. But free agents won't be cheap or risk-free either. Javier Lopez getting a three year deal at age 36 might set the FA market for lefty relief so high that a trade might actually be the better way to go.

Cody Martin is a nice prospect who will have a hard time making it with the Braves. For a team that is rebuilding and looking for some starting pitching depth he would have some real value. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe Martin plus a right-handed reliever ticketed for AAA for Duensing or Russell.
    The current struture of the Braves is such that they can afford to spend on a reliever for a two year deal. If you can get Ollie on a 2 year 8M dollar deal I'd do it.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    The current struture of the Braves is such that they can afford to spend on a reliever for a two year deal. If you can get Ollie on a 2 year 8M dollar deal I'd do it.
    That's a fair price for Ollie. I suspect there will be other teams offering something similar.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I'd have like Haren at that price. Exactly the kind of thing I think the Braves should be looking for. One can argue it's a slight overpay, but it's a one-year deal.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Like we told you last time you got all huffy over a Murph trade proposal, this a board for discussion. And I for one love reading all the crazy trades people come up with from this site. And I hope they keep coming. Please everyone, come up with some crazy trade ideas. It is fun.
    Yes, life must be very challenging after the season ends with no fantasy leagues.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunit24 View Post
    Starters- Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Beachy, Wood
    Pen - Kimbrel, Walden, Carpenter, Martinez, Hale, Avilan, Venters

LaStella - 2b
    Simmons - SS
    Freeman - 1B
    JUpton - LF
    Heyward - RF
    Gattis - C
    Johnson - 3B
    BUpton - CF

Bench of Laird, Uggla, Pena, Schafer, Terdoslavich

Still have 15-20 million to spend. I like the team we have NOW. This is what it would look like if the season started today. I dont want any Dan Harens. If we are going to make a trade, it should be for an ace or a stud hitter. Wren has already done a great job of building this team. Im making this post more for myself than anything. Losing McCann and Hudson sucked, but not worth the money. We need to focus on locking up the young guys and/or finding an ace.

This is the point of view Wren & Company have to take - the team listed above won the Division (going away) with career-worst seasons from B. J. and Uggla, Freeman, Heyward, Pena, Beachy, Hudson, EOF, and Venters all missing significant time, and Simmons and Gattis adjusting to this level. The core is in place and under control for the forseeable future - you tweak a little here and there (strengthening the bench and pen) and pounce when the opportunity to land a true difference-maker appears.

To this point, that guy hasn't become available at a price that makes any sense.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (11-25-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Royals are interested in shopping Tim Collins (was a brave farmhand for a minute or two and never should have moved) and Aaron Crow.

I'd be interested in bringing Collins aboard. I'd give them Gilmartin for him.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Pirates outrighted Kyle McPherson. Had Tommy John Surgery last summer. Wouldn't be a bad stash if Wren could make room for him - was in their Top 10 (BA) at one point with really nice K/BB ratios.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Royals are interested in shopping Tim Collins (was a brave farmhand for a minute or two and never should have moved) and Aaron Crow.

Wasn't Collins the shorty we acquired from Toronto with Alex Gonzalez for Yunel? Then flipped days (?) later for Farnsworth and Ankiel?

Edit: Yup, we also got Pastornicky in the Toronto deal. For some reason I thought he was a Braves product from day one. Gregor Blanco and Jesse Chavez also went with Collins to Kansas City. Wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Yeah, small but throws hard from the left side. Has been pretty effective so far. Just hitting arby so he would be controllable.
    Ivermectin Man

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Yeah, small but throws hard from the left side. Has been pretty effective so far. Just hitting arby so he would be controllable.
    I like his wind-up:

Too bad we couldn't sign Jeff Francouer and then trade him for Collins. Bet Moore would be all over that.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts

I'd send them Gilmartin and someone else who's not special for both of them. They'll cost a little bit (both are Arb1) but we have the cash to spare for some quality BP depth.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Included in the story was the mention that they're also "listening" on Holland. Greg's from my hometown and alma mater (WCU), and would likely be more open to signing an extension than Kimbrel since he grew up a Braves fan. Maybe just go get him for the 8th this year and make every game a 5 inning affair, then move Kimbrel next winter for even better prospects than we give up to land him.

(Imagining Holland in the 8th followed by Kimbrel in the 9th may well cause heads to explode.)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    doubt the Royals would seriously listen on Holland just yet. They say they are positioning themselves to contend with the Tigers in 15.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    "The Royals are also willing to at least entertain the thought of parting with prized closer Greg Holland, though according to Dutton they would need a "major" return for their ninth-inning man and aren't too keen on parting with him. One club official said to Dutton: "Are we actively looking to move Holland? No. But we’ve got to be open-minded to everything."

Just another of those pipe dreams that are fun to imagine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Im not sure why people are mad about Haren.

He wasnt that good last year but better in the 2nd half.

Not a huge upgrade over Wood/Beachy.
    He was pretty damn good in the 2nd half

July - 23 IP / 26 K with a 1.04 WHIP and 3.13 ERA with a BAA of .214
    August - 36 IP / 31 K with a 1.06 WHIP and a 3.68 ERA with a BAA of .246
    September - 28 IP / 27 K with a 1.04 WHIP and a 2.89 ERA with a BAA of .216
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    He was pretty damn good in the 2nd half

July - 23 IP / 26 K with a 1.04 WHIP and 3.13 ERA with a BAA of .214
    August - 36 IP / 31 K with a 1.06 WHIP and a 3.68 ERA with a BAA of .246
    September - 28 IP / 27 K with a 1.04 WHIP and a 2.89 ERA with a BAA of .216
    Thats what i mean, he was good, yes but is he a 10 million upgrade over Beachy/Wood?

Im not sure about that.

I'd like a veteran starter but im not sure who is a massive upgrade over those two.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Tigers supposedly in talks with Brian Wilson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Thats what i mean, he was good, yes but is he a 10 million upgrade over Beachy/Wood?

Im not sure about that.

I'd like a veteran starter but im not sure who is a massive upgrade over those two.
    Agree. Haren won't be a 10 mill upgrade on anyone we already have. That's just paying for depth for depths sake.... Which is good, but at a way more reasonable rate