Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Edition - Derek Jeter will retire at seasons end

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    Amaro is the worst GM in the game.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You're saying Amaro > Wren?

Hopefully you're joking.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Yankees sign Tanaka.

7 years, 155 million.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    You're saying Amaro > Wren?

Hopefully you're joking.
    I am. The irony was supposed to be in the picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Yankees sign Tanaka.

7 years, 155 million.
    I'm glad to see them blow past their luxury tax threshold. The Yankees are actually pushing the edge of their financial envelope. Falling attendance. Falling TV ratings. Even with this signing, I think they are still the third best team in their division behind the Red Sox and Rays. They have significant weaknesses at second, short and third. Old players at right, first and DH. CC and Kuroda showing signs of wear and tear. I predict that one of the big stories in the next few years will be how even a very deep-pocketed team like the Yankees can get caught in a downward spiral that results in significant financial losses.

Having said that I do plan to make my first trip to the new Yankees stadium this season to see McCann. I will be wearing my Braves #16 shirt.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 01-22-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think they'll miss Cano more than the signings made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    A's signed EOF to 2/7 deal

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    22 million a year? For a pitcher who has never faced a MLB player? I hope he turns into their Kawakami, it would serve them right. Player salaries with these Yanks, Dodgers etc are going to make half the league AAA clubs because they won't be able to compete with the money they have.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Since he won't be ready till probably July it is more like 1.5/7 a good bit too much I would say.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    It would be interesting to know the approximate financial value that these 'anointed' Japanese players, specifically, bring to MLB. I lived in Japan in 2010-2011 and 'Ichiro mania' was still very much in full swing; huge billboards, commercials, (Mariners) gear in department stores. The Yankees have positive experience in this area with Matsui, Kuroda, Ichiro ... and negative experience with The Fat Toad. Tanaka is apparently not Darvish in terms of sex appeal, but you have to wonder if the Yankees aren't willing to take such an enormous financial plunge in large part due to the lucrative Japanese fan-base. It doesn't hurt that Tanaka projects solidly into a MLB rotation, either, but $22MM per season for 7 years plus a $20MM posting fee is just beaucoup money for a team that really doesn't have a great core.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Sad to see Eric go, but I find that a tad high for a guy coming off of TJ surgery (that won't be ready until July). I guess that's how Beane gets in the door.

According to Rosenthal, bonuses could make the deal worth $10MM. He also suggests that EOF could close for the Athletics in 2015.
    Last edited by Hawk; 01-22-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Sad to see Eric go, but I find that a tad high for a guy coming off of TJ surgery (that won't be ready until July). I guess that's how Beane gets in the door.

According to Rosenthal, bonuses could make the deal worth $10MM. He also suggests that EOF could close for the Athletics in 2015.
    . We were not going to compete with that. Kudos to FW. We lined up some nice lhp guys to fill in on the cheap.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    I really don't know to expect from the Braves. The off-season has been disappointing. Thank God Mac went to an AL team so we are not subjected to a repeat of the Glavine situation. Watching him with the Mets was really hard for me. I knew Brian would leave but I never figured him taking a money grab from the Yanks. As far as our team, I don't see a whole lot to get excited about. Uggs and BJ have to rebound and I'm just not sold on Gattis as an everyday player. This off-season we are guilty of what the Nats did last year. We took two steps back, letting Hudson and Mac walk. The funny thing is I am not opposed to either move, but you have to be proactive in shoring the club up with some certainty and all Wren has done to this point is take gambles. If Floyd has a good year, Gattis is what we expect, BJ becomes BJ, and Uggla repeats his first year as a Brave, will be fine. That's an awful lot of ifs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    I really don't know to expect from the Braves. The off-season has been disappointing. Thank God Mac went to an AL team so we are not subjected to a repeat of the Glavine situation. Watching him with the Mets was really hard for me. I knew Brian would leave but I never figured him taking a money grab from the Yanks. As far as our team, I don't see a whole lot to get excited about. Uggs and BJ have to rebound and I'm just not sold on Gattis as an everyday player. This off-season we are guilty of what the Nats did last year. We took two steps back, letting Hudson and Mac walk. The funny thing is I am not opposed to either move, but you have to be proactive in shoring the club up with some certainty and all Wren has done to this point is take gambles. If Floyd has a good year, Gattis is what we expect, BJ becomes BJ, and Uggla repeats his first year as a Brave, will be fine. That's an awful lot of ifs.

Meh, then don't watch. Go root for the Cards. We have a lot to be excited about. Very young team with tons of upside.
    Can't stand the whining. There weren't a lot of moves to be made.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Heyward (01-22-2014)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    We have a lot to be excited about.
    The only excitement about this team is in its uncertainty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    When it comes to pitching, I trust the A's more than any other team. Young is amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I don't see what is wrong with admitting (as a fan) that the team has had a bad off-season (so far). Not a single problem from last year has been addressed. That's potentially problematic.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-22-2014), BoneThrower (01-22-2014), bravebonebook (01-22-2014), NinersSBChamps (01-22-2014)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Meh, then don't watch. Go root for the Cards. We have a lot to be excited about. Very young team with tons of upside.
    Can't stand the whining. There weren't a lot of moves to be made.
    Relax man...I ain't going nowhere. I stuck in the eighties, I'm sticking now. This time a year ago I was certain the Braves were going to win the East and went on record at Scout and said so. This year we are gonna have to fight to stay in the wc hunt. This team is a second place team with an uneventful season. A couple of bad breaks with injury and its a 4th place team.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (01-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    First, if tou expected much of anything this offseason you set yourself up for dissapointment. Its been documented several times that the braves are already at the payroll limit for 2015. The only question was what they would do with the money left in the 2014 budget.

Second, your buying too much into the offseason championship. If you want big name signings and "sure things" then your always going to be dissapointed and negative nancies are never popular.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Heyward (01-22-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    First, if tou expected much of anything this offseason you set yourself up for dissapointment. Its been documented several times that the braves are already at the payroll limit for 2015. The only question was what they would do with the money left in the 2014 budget.

Second, your buying too much into the offseason championship. If you want big name signings and "sure things" then your always going to be dissapointed and negative nancies are never popular.
    It isn't about big name signings or sure things. It is about fixing issues with the team. Nothing at all wrong with expecting that from the Braves (or any other competitive team).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Hawk (01-22-2014)