Page 7 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Around Baseball Offseason Edition - Derek Jeter will retire at seasons end

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Put him in left field, so we can have a different terrible contract on the bench.
    BJ Upton. Highest paid pinch runner in the history of baseball OR the Braves could convert Markakis to a pitcher. The Braves really wanted to draft Markakis the year he was drafted, but they wanted to draft him as a pitcher and not as an OF.

I'm totally kidding. I just don't see this as a match-up unless the Braves were to flip Markakis in a subsequent transaction.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    BJ Upton. Highest paid pinch runner in the history of baseball OR the Braves could convert Markakis to a pitcher. The Braves really wanted to draft Markakis the year he was drafted, but they wanted to draft him as a pitcher and not as an OF.

I'm totally kidding. I just don't see this as a match-up unless the Braves were to flip Markakis in a subsequent transaction.
    That was more what I was going for.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Good deal for both. Fielder will definitely help Texas immediately, but Detroit may come out ahead in the long-term. Then again, who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Evan Grant‏@Evan_P_Grant
    Cash payments from Detroit will be paid out in 2016-20, so no extra money for #Rangers up front.

I'm curious how the Rangers handle the rest of their off-season. They need an outfielder and a catcher. Wonder how they will allocate money to fill those two needs.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Evan Grant‏@Evan_P_Grant
    Cash payments from Detroit will be paid out in 2016-20, so no extra money for #Rangers up front.

I'm curious how the Rangers handle the rest of their off-season. They need an outfielder and a catcher. Wonder how they will allocate money to fill those two needs.
    I would guess they sign one of the catchers, McCann being the most likely.

Outfield wise, i could see Beltran as a fit.

I saw Choo/Ellsbury mentioned as well.

Granderson would be a decent fit as well.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I think Texas wins after thinking about it.

Detroit will have plenty of money off the books next year with Hunter, VMart, and they'll probably trade one of Porcello/Fister to make room for Smyly in the rotation.

So they'd have enough to sign Scherzer to a huge extension.

Kinsler doesnt exactly have a team-friendly deal, not as big as Fielder's deal but still not great.

Regards to Uggla, im not sure what contract we could take back if thats what would work.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    A few bad contracts that could help the Braves more than keeping Uggla on the roster:

Overpriced OF bench bat like Markakis
    Overpriced but durable veteran starting pitcher
    Overpriced BP arm

A team with a hole at 2B could prefer Uggla's bad contract over a bad contract like the 3 listed above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Seattle and Colorado are the most likely destinations for Uggla imo.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    A few bad contracts that could help the Braves more than keeping Uggla on the roster:

Overpriced OF bench bat like Markakis
    Overpriced but durable veteran starting pitcher
    Overpriced BP arm

A team with a hole at 2B could prefer Uggla's bad contract over a bad contract like the 3 listed above.
    Thanks for pointing out that there are more valuable ratholes to pour p*ss down! LOL.

After thinking about the Rangers/Tigers deal, moving Uggla may boil down to a swap of big, and in the case of Uggla "bad," contracts.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Seattle and Colorado are the most likely destinations for Uggla imo.
    Can't personally see Seattle as a match at all personally. Have to think Jack Z would much prefer to let some combination of Miller/Franklin/Triunfel/Ackley man 2B and SS and spend money on OF help.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I really doubt that a Markakis for Uggla deal is any more than a nocturnal emmision. But, when I bring something up here it is based on stated needs/rumors not invented by me that make the press or at least a respectable internet source

Next thought and not reinventing anything but has everyone forgotten the Phillips/Uggla rumor (granted it came from Atlanta sources). With the signing of Shumaker is it possible that Reds are simply waiting to replace Choo before moving Phillips? Someone says they see Seattle or Colorado as landing places for Dan.
    Personally I dont see how either of those fits, especially Seattle after watching their failure with Ackley. Doubt they are looking for another disaster.

An additional consideration in finding a home for Uggla is the Brewers situation with Weeks. They want to dump him as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Can't personally see Seattle as a match at all personally. Have to think Jack Z would much prefer to let some combination of Miller/Franklin/Triunfel/Ackley man 2B and SS and spend money on OF help.
    Seattle generated a grand total of 0.1 WAR from their second basemen in 2013, the fifth worst in the majors. They are looking for right-handed power. They also have trouble attracting free agents, making the trade route something they are more likely to use to address their needs. Based on the above, I think they are one of the more plausible possible landing places for Uggla. Plausible doesn't mean likely of course.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-21-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I see cvlcvl posted basically the same thing about Seattle while I was typing my above post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    I really doubt that a Markakis for Uggla deal is any more than a nocturnal emmision. But, when I bring something up here it is based on stated needs/rumors not invented by me that make the press or at least a respectable internet source

Next thought and not reinventing anything but has everyone forgotten the Phillips/Uggla rumor (granted it came from Atlanta sources). With the signing of Shumaker is it possible that Reds are simply waiting to replace Choo before moving Phillips? Someone says they see Seattle or Colorado as landing places for Dan.
    Personally I dont see how either of those fits, especially Seattle after watching their failure with Ackley. Doubt they are looking for another disaster.

An additional consideration in finding a home for Uggla is the Brewers situation with Weeks. They want to dump him as well.
    My guess is the Reds would like to trade Phillips for a younger and cheaper second baseman. They are more likely to be interested in someone like La Stella than Uggla.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Jack Z also has a penchant for slugging, underperforming DH types -- see Mike Morse, Kendrys Morales, Raul Ibanez, Jason Bay.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Seattle generated a grand total of 0.1 WAR from their second basemen in 2013, the fifth worst in the majors. They are looking for right-handed power. They also have trouble attracting free agents, making the trade route something they are more likely to use to address their needs. Based on the above, I think they are one of the more plausible possible landing places for Uggla. Plausible doesn't mean likely of course.
    Ackley has not panned out. Just shows that even the "can't misses" sometimes miss. He's still young, so I'm not calling the cemetery to see if they have a plot all ready for him, but his last two years have really been down after a decent rookie campaign.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Ackley has not panned out. Just shows that even the "can't misses" sometimes miss. He's still young, so I'm not calling the cemetery to see if they have a plot all ready for him, but his last two years have really been down after a decent rookie campaign.
    I would be interested in taking a flier on Ackley, there's still a ton of potential there. Doubt Seattle would be interested in moving him yet, but you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    My guess is the Reds would like to trade Phillips for a younger and cheaper second baseman. They are more likely to be interested in someone like La Stella than Uggla.
    But, But, ALL the conventional wisdom here (yours included) is that Phillips' contract is worse than Dan's.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    No question. However, I'd much rather have someone making the league minimum to sit on the bench rather than tie up $4-ish million per. The only way Seattle lands a free-agent that can actually play is by drastically overpaying - my guess is that Jack Z needs every dime he can get his hands on to try to convince an Ellsbury to sign (even though he has ties to the region).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Jack Z also has a penchant for slugging, underperforming DH types -- see Mike Morse, Kendrys Morales, Raul Ibanez, Jason Bay.
    The MLB Tonite pundits IIRC all seem to think Z is on his last legs. His last chance is in the its death throes. Doubt he would want to compound his tenuous position with a gamble as dubious as Uggla.