Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider: Why the Braves should consider trading Kimbrel this winter.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    No way do you ever value a decent SP over a closer.

If we know we can't keep Heyward then we should shop him too. Shop does not mean you have to trade. But you need to let ppl know and see what people will give.

The Braves need to operate more like the Rays than a big market team. You have to shop your young studs with more than 1 year of control on them. Then you see if someone falls in love and gives you a great deal. If not, then you keep them and get the draft pick.

Nobody is saying dump Kimbrell. You only trade him if you get a stud.

I honestly wish we'd go full Saber and dump the closer ideal. I think we could carry less pen guys if we'd go to a multi-inning RP set up. I think guys like Gilmartin would become valuable pieces in that model.

If we have to stay in the model made up by the save statistic..........then 50% of Kimbrel is fine. If you get more production from a stud 3B, then you'll make up those wins with the everyday player.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-19-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    It is too bad Venters was overused and eventually got hurt. If we still had the Venters of 2010-2011, I would have no problem moving Kimbrel.

I think it is a bit of a myth that it is easy to find a cheap closer. We've had a very good pen the past few years. But there were some years before that when we had some pretty weak pens.

In principal, I'm not opposed to trading Kimbrel. But I would want a trade that features players that can upgrade the major league team at certain positions rather than just prospects.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-19-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,913 Posts
    How far away is Simmons?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    agree. This is not a trade to stock the farm. You move a CK and you are strategically getting weaker at closer to get significantly better somewhere else. You need to get at least 1 big piece and that piece has to be controllable for 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is too bad Venters was overused and eventually got hurt. If we still had the Venters of 2010-2011, I would have no problem moving Kimbrel.

I think it is a bit of a myth that it is easy to find a cheap closer. We've had a very good pen the past few years. But there were some years before that when we had some pretty weak pens.

In principal, I'm not opposed to trading Kimbrel. But I would want a trade that features players that can upgrade the major league team at certain positions rather than just prospects.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    How far away is Simmons?
    5 full years of control left, he's a Super 2 next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    50% of Kimbrel is fine? No. No, it isn't. Many of you have such short memories. It was a disaster for years before and after Smoltz. It was a disaster for years before Kimbrel. Follow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    I think the Braves do everything short of selling the statues out front for scrap metal to keep heyward and freeman together. In the era of tougher PED rules, I feel like you have to pay more for hitting than pitching. I'd only listen on Kimbrel for a really stout package of prospects right now, though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,913 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    5 full years of control left, he's a Super 2 next year.
    Shae Simmons

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    50% of Kimbrel is fine? No. No, it isn't. Many of you have such short memories. It was a disaster for years before and after Smoltz. It was a disaster for years before Kimbrel. Follow?
    It's not like anyone wants to get worse there. It's understanding the economics of baseball and the impact of that position vs other positions.

Ideally you strengthen other parts of the team and you don't have so many 1 run games.

Just b/c we screwed up in the past doesn't mean we should be blind to other options. It doesn't mean we should overpay. There is no way CK is here as a free agent.

I think the Braves can develop power arms to replace him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Heyward (11-19-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    agree. This is not a trade to stock the farm. You move a CK and you are strategically getting weaker at closer to get significantly better somewhere else. You need to get at least 1 big piece and that piece has to be controllable for 4+ years.
    For example Castellanos for Kimbrel is not a bad idea in the abstract. But it really only makes sense for the Braves if we could get a player of similar quality who can play second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    Castellanos for Kimbrel and sign Balfour wouldn't be bad at all. And I'd make Heyward an offer right now and if he says no then I'd offer him to Texas for Profar and another prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Castellanos for Kimbrel and sign Balfour wouldn't be bad at all. And I'd make Heyward an offer right now and if he says no then I'd offer him to Texas for Profar and another prospect.
    Where would we play Castellanos?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Luckily for the Braves, developing bullpen arms is not a problem.

The return for the Braves in a trade will be more beneficial long term than keeping Kimbrel.
    Developing good bullpen arms and a closer aren't the same thing.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Use him like we used Gattis.

3B, and some outfield.

Hypothetically of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    First, I don't do that trade strait up. Tigers are going to have to give more, or ideally take Uggla. I think they have the money that they could take Uggla, and then flip Uggla and eat most of the money.

1st option is 3B. I don't believe in CJ. I'd look to flip CJ as a sell high.

Another option is to use him like we used Gattis (C/1B/OF, but in this case 3B/1B/LF or RF). This is a good option if BJ continues to suck. It would also make Terdo expendable if we could find a good trade for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    If play him at 3b and move CJ while his value is super high. Castellanos, Simmons, Profar, and Freeman would be crazy good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,008 Posts
    Do we want the best chance to win now, or do we want to still be competitive in 4 yrs?

I say keep CK and shoot for the moon while you still have a great core of players. If we don't a WS in the next 3 yrs, our best chances are likely behind us, unless we come across a large sum of money. IMO, of our current team, the players who are likely to be here in 3 yrs from now are Freddie, Minor, BJ, JT, Simmons, Gattis and Betancourt.
    Last edited by Carp; 11-19-2013 at 11:21 PM.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If play him at 3b and move CJ while his value is super high. Castellanos, Simmons, Profar, and Freeman would be crazy good.
    So we move Kimbrel for at best a lateral 3B move. And probably not much for Johnson.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Luckily for the Braves, developing bullpen arms is not a problem.

The return for the Braves in a trade will be more beneficial long term than keeping Kimbrel.
    But it has been pretty bad in the past. These types of things can be cyclical. We were crazy good at developing star position players in the 90's and most of the 2000's. Not so much now.

We have as a good of a team now that we're likely going to have for awhile (unless payroll increases substantially). I'd rather have the best closer in baseball during the short window we have to win a WS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,126 Posts
    I know we're in win now mode. We have a strong team with a pretty good chance to win. But in the past we haven't traded players when their value was high and instead held onto them to long and we blew it. If somebody comes to the table with a good offer then Wren better listen.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

Heyward (11-19-2013)