Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AA made a big move

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts

AA made a big move

Time to get serious... what other moves besides the obvious reliever do you want to see?

I wanna see us find a LHH utility guy that could rest albies, swanson, and even Donaldson.

I'd wanna flip camargo and duvall. Straight platoon markakis and duvall a while.
    Swanson sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I would like to see a Duvall and Markakis platoon. I'm disappointed that we haven't seen it already, swapping Camargo and Duvall for that platoon seems like an obvious upgrade to me.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

gcbraves (06-07-2019), jpx7 (06-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Time to get serious... what other moves besides the obvious reliever do you want to see?

I wanna see us find a LHH utility guy that could rest albies, swanson, and even Donaldson.

I'd wanna flip camargo and duvall. Straight platoon markakis and duvall a while.
    Not sure about platooning Duvall. Snitker doesn’t seem to do that well. Last year Duvall didn’t play a ton and his play suffered. Now that he is getting regular at bats in Gwinnett he is crushing it
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Not sure about platooning Duvall. Snitker doesn’t seem to do that well. Last year Duvall didn’t play a ton and his play suffered. Now that he is getting regular at bats in Gwinnett he is crushing it
    Yeah all the moves we talk about as far as adding bats are made difficult because of a manager incapable of properly handling it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-07-2019), jpx7 (06-07-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I don’t really see this being a big move. The last time DK was on a mound he was about the same level a Julio Teheran. Probably a little better. If it’s DK from a couple years back then that is huge. It’s a step in the right direction though seeing AA not sit on his hands all season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The small sample optical illusion that so many fall for around here is more serious for bench players because it takes longer for them to accumulate significant at bats. Duvall. Camargo. Culberson. People really don't understand that the underlying quality of those guys has actually undergone very little change even though their small sample data has gyrated wildly.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Muk should definitely be platooned, whether it be with Duvall or Camargo.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I don’t really see this being a big move. The last time DK was on a mound he was about the same level a Julio Teheran. Probably a little better. If it’s DK from a couple years back then that is huge. It’s a step in the right direction though seeing AA not sit on his hands all season.
    Keuchel was significantly better than Teheran last year.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Southcack77 (06-07-2019), UNCBlue012 (06-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Once we get the BP figured out and get Ender back, we can keep a bench of Camargo, Riley, Charlie, and Joyce. I don't really see a LHH utility player as a need. I know Camargo has struggled, particularly vs RHP, but he's also been a bit unlucky. But I would also like to flip him and Duvall for a couple weeks to get him going offensively. Once Ender is back, we could potentially have Ender, Camargo, and Joyce all as LHH options on the bench when we face LH starters. That seems more than adequate to me.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think his medical issues had more to do with his shortcomings in 2018 rather than simply playing time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-07-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Keuchel was significantly better than Teheran last year.
    I think the gap is closer than you say. Yes he was better than JT last season.

What are people expecting out of DK? Considering where we are I am not going to ask about reasonable expectations of him. There isn’t anything reasonable here.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Why is Riley being related to bench duty? You ride his hot streak until he forces you to move him into a different roll. There isn’t a player on this team who is staking their claim and taking playing time away from him. Freeman and Acuna not withstanding, but not going to play anywhere Riley would on the field.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    keuchel it is. Maybe he can help Folty.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I think the gap is closer than you say. Yes he was better than JT last season.

What are people expecting out of DK? Considering where we are I am not going to ask about reasonable expectations of him. There isn’t anything reasonable here.
    Big game experience that Julio has barely ever sniffed. Guys like he and Madbum are very used to pitching in big playoff games. No, is isn’t what he was (although the extra rest might help him this year), but he will likely keep you in big games which is unlikely with the rookies (maybe Soroka will do ok)...or Gausman and Folty (both of which can be a toss up as to if they are going to give up 6 runs in 3 innings).

DK has more post season experience in ONE of his years than all our other pitchers combined.

Gausman’s extra arb year will most likely not be picked up and the same with Julio’s option year.

Folty may turn the ship but there is just as good a chance that we have already seen his most productive year.

I have high hopes for Soroka, Fried and even Newk and Touki.

I would not be surprised if we make trades to get Gausman and Duvall off the books to trade for another starter like Madbum (more likely Stroman).

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd like to see us end Comargo down and see if he can regain his stroke. If so he can play some 2B and Snit can get lessons from the front office on how to play him more regularly.

I'd like to see Neck move to less starts and Duvall get some starts.

Mostly it's pen and having guys perform like they should. I think Soroka, Fried, Swanson, Riley and Jackson will come down. But I think Acuna, Albies, Folty (if healthy) and Gausman will do better.

It's a buyer's market and I would not spend many resources getting Pen help.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Big game experience that Julio has barely ever sniffed. Guys like he and Madbum are very used to pitching in big playoff games. No, is isn’t what he was (although the extra rest might help him this year), but he will likely keep you in big games which is unlikely with the rookies (maybe Soroka will do ok)...or Gausman and Folty (both of which can be a toss up as to if they are going to give up 6 runs in 3 innings).

DK has more post season experience in ONE of his years than all our other pitchers combined.

Gausman’s extra arb year will most likely not be picked up and the same with Julio’s option year.

Folty may turn the ship but there is just as good a chance that we have already seen his most productive year.

I have high hopes for Soroka, Fried and even Newk and Touki.

I would not be surprised if we make trades to get Gausman and Duvall off the books to trade for another starter like Madbum (more likely Stroman).
    Who else thinks the following moves are likely to happen?

1. Braves trade Gausman (a guy supposedly so bad he's a non-tender candidate) and Duvall (a guy making $3M in AAA) in a swap that saves the Braves enough money to afford another SP, meaning they include prospect capital to make up the cash value.

2. Use even more prospects to acquire MadBum or Stroman.

What moves in the last ~5 years suggest this is at all a likely series of events?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

1. Braves trade Gausman (a guy supposedly so bad he's a non-tender candidate) and Duvall (a guy making $3M in AAA) in a swap that saves the Braves enough money to afford another SP, meaning they include prospect capital to make up the cash value.

What moves in the last ~5 years suggest this is at all a likely series of events?
    For real. Not to mention, Gaus was on pace for nearly 3 fWAR like 10 days ago. Now he's trash apparently and isn't worth being tendered a contract.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Everyone talking about the Braves signing DK. It's not a done deal until you hear it from the Braves FO. No mention yet so it is NOT a done deal.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I think the part about trading Duvall to free up an extra million is probable and wouldn’t be shocked if they got another SP with 1+ year of control.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    Everyone talking about the Braves signing DK. It's not a done deal until you hear it from the Braves FO. No mention yet so it is NOT a done deal.
    Lmbo. What?