Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Rubber game vs Phillies

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    In their defense, when quinn is healthy, they can move kingery to 3b. This will make them better. Of course, kingery has been really lucky offensively, so doubt he continues his pace
    not sure how this is a defense haha.
    Quinn is
    1). Never healthy and
    2). Hasn't been good when he's played.
    if they were relying on him as any kind of backup or depth at all, that's another failure.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    not sure how this is a defense haha.
    Quinn is
    1). Never healthy and
    2). Hasn't been good when he's played.
    if they were relying on him as any kind of backup or depth at all, that's another failure.
    Quinn isn't great by any means; but if he plays late Friday night, we almost certainly lose.

They have what 4-5 relievers on IL? I think we're better than them even when they're at full strength, but they are pretty beat up at the moment.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quinn isn't great by any means; but if he plays late Friday night, we almost certainly lose.

They have what 4-5 relievers on IL? I think we're better than them even when they're at full strength, but they are pretty beat up at the moment.
    I think 6
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

so if a guy who has absolutely never been healthy happened to be healthy, they would've beat the Braves. again: if they relied on Quinn even a tiny little bit, for anything at all, it was a failure and a bad call.

they have 5. one had been terrible (Robertson) and one who's been hurt all year who they knew was hurt and wouldn't be pitching (Hunter). they did extremely little in the offseason pitching-wise. signed an old RP and traded for an ineffective one. that's it. all that money, and that's what they did.

they may be a tad more banged up than the average team, but it's hardly the reason they're struggling.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    so if a guy who has absolutely never been healthy happened to be healthy, they would've beat the Braves. again: if they relied on Quinn even a tiny little bit, for anything at all, it was a failure and a bad call.

they have 5. one had been terrible (Robertson) and one who's been hurt all year who they knew was hurt and wouldn't be pitching (Hunter). they did extremely little in the offseason pitching-wise. signed an old RP and traded for an ineffective one. that's it. all that money, and that's what they did.

they may be a tad more banged up than the average team, but it's hardly the reason they're struggling.

The same argument could be used for us with Viz and O'Day. If those guys had been healthy we might have swept the series. Almost every team has a couple of oft injured players that would be impact players if healthy but who can't be relied upon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The same argument could be used for us with Viz and O'Day. If those guys had been healthy we might have swept the series. Almost every team has a couple of oft injured players that would be impact players if healthy but who can't be relied upon.
    Viz was traded, but i get and agree with your point.
    Quinn's MO is literally always being hurt. they had no backup plan AT ALL if a starter got hurt. they're just a poorly built team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    They had incredible luck with their staff being healthy last year, so the pendulum is swinging the other way.

It’s science .
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    For an especially enjoyable time, watch this game with the Phillies announcers.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    They had incredible luck with their staff being healthy last year, so the pendulum is swinging the other way.

It’s science .
    their starters haven't even been hurt much this year. they just aren't good. Arrieta is regressing further (duh). Nola is the only guy on their staff with more than 2 pitches. Pivetta and Velasquez have predictably come back down to earth (as they started doing towards the end of last year).

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Mac and Flowers = 2.1 fWAR
    Realmuto = 2.6 fWAR

Keep it within 1 boys

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

sc1767 (06-17-2019), Tapate50 (06-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Realmuto = 2.6 fWAR

Keep it within 1 boys
    Knapp is 0.0 FWIW

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Realmuto = 2.6 fWAR

Keep it within 1 boys
    to be fair you have to add in their backup catcher as well.
    oh, he has 0.
    ok then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Knapp is 0.0 FWIW
    beat me to it

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I remember at the start of the season the projection systems had us at about .500 and I thought that was low due to underrating Acuna...but correcting for that doesnt get you to 90 wins
    Not that a lone. But Swanson has improved for example and the Braves as a whole have likely over performed a bit. DK coming aboard helps with it as well. That being said the team is now projected to win 90 games overall while going 48 and 42 the rest of the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Not that a lone. But Swanson has improved for example and the Braves as a whole have likely over performed a bit. DK coming aboard helps with it as well. That being said the team is now projected to win 90 games overall while going 48 and 42 the rest of the way.
    That's sort of the question I am asking. Are the things that are getting us to outperform projections (including Swanson playing well) real or just random fluctuations.

We have so far gotten fairly significant positive surprises from Swanson, Acuna, the two catchers, Teheran, Fried, Soroka and Riley.

Negative surprises from Inciarte, Folty, Gausman, Camargo, the pen as a whole, Newcomb.

Looking at starting pitching its roughly a wash relative to expectations with Fried, Soroka and Teheran offsetting Folty, Gausman and Newcomb.

With respect to the lineup, the upside surprises predominate so far. Riley is the one who I think we can all peg as performing in a clearly unsustainable way. The others have a good chance of sustaining things.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-17-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Viz was traded, but i get and agree with your point.
    Quinn's MO is literally always being hurt. they had no backup plan AT ALL if a starter got hurt. they're just a poorly built team.
    In my head I was thinking that if Viz was healthy he wouldn't have been traded. I now realize I didn't actually put that down. But I agree. It's poor roster construction to rely on the health of oft injured players. And when those guys get hurt, it's a weak excuse to blame your team's poor performance on the injuries.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    That's sort of the question I am asking. Are the things that are getting us to outperform projections (including Swanson playing well) real or just random fluctuations.

We have so far gotten fairly significant positive surprises from Swanson, Acuna, the two catchers, Teheran, Fried, Soroka and Riley.

Negative surprises from Inciarte, Folty, Gausman, Camargo, the pen as a whole, Newcomb.

Looking at starting pitching its roughly a wash relative to expectations with Fried, Soroka and Teheran offsetting Folty, Gausman and Newcomb.

With respect to the lineup, the upside surprises predominate so far. Riley is the one who I think we can all peg as performing in a clearly unsustainable way. The others have a good chance of sustaining things.
    That's the thing with projection systems.

Every team projected for 85 wins isn't created equally. The Braves were a young 85 win team, so the chances of guys performing at a higher level than a projection system suggest they will is more likely than an old team beating their projections.

The Braves are also forming themselves after the Dodgers model of keeping around a lot of MLB caliber players. While the Dodgers can do this simply by spending a lot of cash, both teams do this by relentlessly chasing value additions, and staying away from sunk payroll at almost all costs. Folks mock "value" and "flexibility", but that value and flexibility is precisely what allows the Braves to have such a deep and talented team.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts

It's real with some luck. I think 90 wins right now is a good base line for the team for the rest of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    That's the thing with projection systems.

Every team projected for 85 wins isn't created equally. The Braves were a young 85 win team, so the chances of guys performing at a higher level than a projection system suggest they will is more likely than an old team beating their projections.

The Braves are also forming themselves after the Dodgers model of keeping around a lot of MLB caliber players. While the Dodgers can do this simply by spending a lot of cash, both teams do this by relentlessly chasing value additions, and staying away from sunk payroll at almost all costs. Folks mock "value" and "flexibility", but that value and flexibility is precisely what allows the Braves to have such a deep and talented team.
    I think of the Dodgers model as "Deep Depth." The deep depth comes from several components:

1) Versatility of position players
    2) Not having any replacement level players on the roster (or at least trying to minimize their at bats and innings pitched)
    3) Having a strong "second bench" in AAA and using that shuttle between AAA and the majors aggressively
    4) Being willing to move pitchers between the pen and rotation as form and need dictate (which has the benefit of not having an exhausted group of starters when the post-season rolls around)

The Braves have very much followed that template this year. We even have a very good spare part (Duvall) in AAA that is still in our back pocket.

The point you make about avoiding sunk costs is much more important to the Braves than the Dodgers. It the reason 1-year contracts (Donaldson, McCann, Keuchel, Muk) are so much better than multi-year deals (Brantley, McCutchen, Kimbrel), especially for players in their 30s.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I've got them pegged at 93 wins. September is gonna look really good for us. Lots of mediocre teams there to beat up on. KC, Toronto, White Sox, Mets, Nats, Phillies.
    Forever Fredi