Page 11 of 135 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I’ve never seen someone who claims he doesn’t care about being wrong all the time right so vigorously to prove he’s not wrong lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,041 Posts
    If I had to pick a reliever to target it would probably be Ken Giles. He's only 28 and has actually been super consistent in his career. His ERA hasn't always been shiny but his FIP had been great year after year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Giles xwOBA by season:

2015 0.275
    2016 0.280
    2017 0.251
    2018 0.297
    2019 0.243

Giles is no Smith, but he has been consistently above average with a couple recent seasons where’s he’s been very good.

He has a reputation for being volatile, but he would be a solid addition if acquired for good value.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I would really like to find a way to trade for Frazier from the Yankees. I think he's got middle of the order ability and above average RF defense once he settles in. I could see a future OF of Acuna, Pache/Waters, Frazier.

The Yankees need to move him too. He's obviously not a fit in NY with the team, fans and media and he's got nowhere to play. But, the Yankees want a controllable starter and are looking for a 1-3 starter instead of a rotation filler.

The only way I can see it happening would be a 3 way of some type which is difficult to do.

OTOH, what the Yankees want isn't necessarily available. If you look around the majors at teams definitely out or likely to be out of the WC race by the end of July, then the options for the type pitcher the Yanks would want are pretty thin:

Toronto: Stroman, a good fit for a trade involving Frazier
    Baltimore: no real fit
    White Sox: no real fit
    Detroit: Matt Boyd
    KC: nothing
    Angels: nothing
    Mariners: nothing
    Mets: Matz, Syndergaard, Wheeler but none having a great year and Mets may not want to trade with Yanks especially for Frazier
    Miami: nothing
    Washington: still in it but maybe Scherzer or Stras if the Yanks want to deal with the money.
    Reds: maybe Roark or Gray but those guys don't fit the bill really
    Pirates: they might take a chance on righting Archer
    SF: all their guys including Madbum don't really fit

My guess for Yanks would be they end up with one or more of: Stroman, Boyd, Archer and Frazier would be a fit for any of those teams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Clint Frazier is 24. In almost 400 PAs in the majors he has put up a WAR of negative 0.1. Career major league K rate 29.3%, BB rate 6.4%.

Frazier vs Demeritte (.406 wOBA in AAA this year) is close to a push for me.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-22-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Clint Frazier is 24. In almost 400 PAs in the majors he has put up a WAR of negative 0.1. Career major league K rate 29.3%, BB rate 6.4%.
    I understand. But he's bounced around so much, been injured and playing in NY hasn't been good for him. I think he would do better with a change of scenery. He's never going to be a superstar but he's got the skills to be a reasonably good #5 or 6 in a ML lineup and might develop more once out of NY.

He's about like Meadows to me. Once Meadows got to Tampa he blossomed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I understand. But he's bounced around so much, been injured and playing in NY hasn't been good for him. I think he would do better with a change of scenery. He's never going to be a superstar but he's got the skills to be a reasonably good #5 or 6 in a ML lineup and might develop more once out of NY.

He's about like Meadows to me. Once Meadows got to Tampa he blossomed.
    You never know I suppose. Take a look at Demeritte's AAA numbers this year. He's the same age as Meadows and Frazier.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    You never know I suppose. Take a look at Demeritte's AAA numbers this year. He's the same age as Meadows and Frazier.
    TD is equivalent to Meadows and Frazier now? That’s quite the stretch...

I’ve liked the idea of Frazier for a while now, but only as part of the cOF solution, not as a main cog.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Frazier vs Demeritte (.406 wOBA in AAA this year) is close to a push for me.
    The question here is...

Does Demeritte ever get a legitimate shot here?

Not saying Frazier would (or is any better, especially given his defensive struggles), but I'm almost completely convinced our 2020 OF consists of Acuna in LF, Pache in CF, and Markakis/??? platoon in RF, with Ender as the 4th OF to buy Waters whatever amount of time he needs to take over one of the corners.

If Demeritte finishes the year strong, would AA let Duvall walk (assuming he's not traded) to save some money and pair him with Markakis in 2020? Pretty sure somebody scoops Demeritte up this winter if he's not added to our 40-Man Roster.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    TD is equivalent to Meadows and Frazier now? That’s quite the stretch...

I’ve liked the idea of Frazier for a while now, but only as part of the cOF solution, not as a main cog.

I don't think I said that. They are all at the same age. Meadows has taken a big step forward this year. But some of that is BABIP related. As with Riley, I think some regression is coming.

Frazier and Meadows have more of a pedigree and success at the minor league level in prior years. I give those things some weight. But I also give some weight to what Demeritte has done in AAA this season.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The question here is...

Does Demeritte ever get a legitimate shot here?
    I think he will be put on the 40-man roster after this season. But I expect the FO to make him repeat AAA in 2020. He could have a future as a 4th outfielder (actually he can play infield too) if he is able to sustain the kind of performance he's put up in AAA so far this year.

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I think he will be put on the 40-man roster after this season. But I expect the FO to make him repeat AAA in 2020. He could have a future as a 4th outfielder (actually he can play infield too) if he is able to sustain the kind of performance he's put up in AAA so far this year.
    Oh boy - another Camargo that never gets to play. Just what everyone needs!!!

Not picking on you, more a shot at AA/Snitker. You'll never replicate the Dodgers' unending supply of guys who can play all over the place and make an impact if you never play them - they'll never stay sharp enough to contribute.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    I don't think I said that. They are all at the same age. Meadows has taken a big step forward this year. But some of that is BABIP related. As with Riley, I think some regression is coming.

Frazier and Meadows have more of a pedigree and success at the minor league level in prior years. I give those things some weight. But I also give some weight to what Demeritte has done in AAA this season.
    Quite a few of Demeritte’s peripherals suggests his new found success is real... not just smoke and mirrors... and he has always had the pedigree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Quite a few of Demeritte’s peripherals suggests his new found success is real... not just smoke and mirrors... and he has always had the pedigree
    Don't think the ISO and BABIP are sustainable. Question is how big a regression.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Don't think the ISO and BABIP are sustainable. Question is how big a regression.
    He has the raw power to sustain the ISO... his BABIP is a bit high but earlier in the year when he was raking it was lower if I remember right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    He has the raw power to sustain the ISO... his BABIP is a bit high but earlier in the year when he was raking it was lower if I remember right
    well if he can sustain an almost .300 ISO he will be a pretty good major leaguer...only 2 major league hitters had an ISO north of .300 last year
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Okay the ISO near .300 is quite a bit higher than I realized. Still the K and BB rate growth looks like it could be legit and that’s kind of exciting

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    His K-rate in April and June is/was higher than it was in May, which may explain the BABIP bouncing around. He's always had a solid BB-rate. This is his best season in terms of avoiding striking out, which is a big plus for him given when he does hit it, it seems to travel quite well. The lively ball is helping the power numbers, but it doesn't matter how lively the ball is if you don't make contact.

I'm curious to see what they will do with him. He's the kind of guy who may benefit when they add the 26th spot to the roster next season. One thing I have noticed (and I don't know if this is injury-related or by design) is that there are games when he doesn't start and either pinch hits or is a late-game replacement. I'm wondering if they are seeing if he can come off the bench and contribute (which would be his role in the majors at this point). Could be my imagination.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

zbhargrove (06-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I would really like to find a way to trade for Frazier from the Yankees. I think he's got middle of the order ability and above average RF defense once he settles in.
    Based on what? Everything suggests his defense is bad.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Giles xwOBA by season:

2015 0.275
    2016 0.280
    2017 0.251
    2018 0.297
    2019 0.243

Giles is no Smith, but he has been consistently above average with a couple recent seasons where’s he’s been very good.

He has a reputation for being volatile, but he would be a solid addition if acquired for good value.

Is the context for success in wOBA scaled metrics the same for relievers as it would be with starters?

I do note that relievers tend to be more heavily represented at the top of those leaderboards. Wonder if you should expect more from them due to their being able to put out max effort.