Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I actually still think Foltynewicz can get back to being a 3+ win pitcher, I think Toussaint will ultimately develop into a solid #3 who looks like an ace on good days, I think Wilson is really underrated and will end up starting for Atlanta, and am very interested to see how Anderson responds when he’s inevitably promoted to Gwinnett.

Having said all that: the Braves have big aspirations in 2019, which I think is key context for sturg’s point. At the moment, the pitching stockpile hasn’t developed as quickly as the Braves competitive window has—which I think is why we’ll see Anthopoulos continue to pursue rotational upgrades more assiduously than bullpen help. For several reasons (one more year of arb, Toronto connection, groundball-inducer to pair with a good infield defense, strong peripherals), I think Stroman makes a lot of sense for Atlanta.
    I think he makes a ton of sense, but from all I’ve read the connection actually hurts AA with Toronto it wanting to deal with him. I remember reading a while ago we wanted to trade for Donaldson last year but they wouldn’t. Might not be any truth to it but FWIW.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I think he makes a ton of sense, but from all I’ve read the connection actually hurts AA with Toronto it wanting to deal with him. I remember reading a while ago we wanted to trade for Donaldson last year but they wouldn’t. Might not be any truth to it but FWIW.
    I’ve said this all along and Stroman wants out. AA likes his guys. I’m not a big Stroman fan, but that would be my bet.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    I doubt Toronto would be avoiding dealing with AA but it shouldn’t help us either. Closer to the deadline Stroman could make sense but I’d like to plug in Keuchel and give our internal options a bit more time. I don’t think we are desperate for a starter.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    I doubt Toronto would be avoiding dealing with AA but it shouldn’t help us either. Closer to the deadline Stroman could make sense but I’d like to plug in Keuchel and give our internal options a bit more time. I don’t think we are desperate for a starter.
    This is going to depend on Folty, imo. If he turns the corner we will stay pat there. If he continues to suck we will make another move. Stroman would be very similar to the pickup of Gausman last year. He's proven to be a 3+ WAR pitcher and will hit FA after 2020.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-18-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    If we aren't going to add an ace we should stay out of the SP market. We have enough mid to back of the rotation starters on this team. But the Braves should be in the realm of making significant move right now, whether it be for Max Scherzer or elite bullpen help. We have the pieces in place to win it all. We have enough young assets and long term stability to push some significant chips onto the table.
    thank you weso1!

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    This is going to depend on Folty, imo. If he turns the corner we will stay pat there. If he continues to suck we will make another move. Stroman would be very similar to the pickup of Gausman last year. He's proven to be a 3+ WAR pitcher and will hit FA after 2020.
    I think we could use another starter even if/when Foltynewicz rebounds. And I agree: Stroman fits the profile (especially relative to Bumgarner).

Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    If we aren't going to add an ace we should stay out of the SP market. We have enough mid to back of the rotation starters on this team. But the Braves should be in the realm of making significant move right now, whether it be for Max Scherzer or elite bullpen help. We have the pieces in place to win it all. We have enough young assets and long term stability to push some significant chips onto the table.
    The Zombie Expos are going to want way too much in exchange for Scherzer, especially to trade him within the division; he’s the elite of the elite, but his surplus value isn’t as high as one might think, given how much he’s still owed. I just don’t see the Zombie Expos accepting anything near fair value—with their contention aspirations not yet extinguished, with Scherzer’s HoF résumé and continued excellence, with Atlanta being in the same division—and as value-junkies that’s a major hurdle. Plus, I’m wary of restocking a division opponents coffers.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    In what universe has Newk been solid? Other than Soroka, none of the other pitchers have established themselves as anything other than a back of the rotation starter or reliever. Then when you throw in guys like Gohara, Jenkins, and ManBan...yeah the pitching revolution hasn’t materialized perfectly. Yes it’s given us a lot of depth and the availability of spot starters, but to call all of the above solid is quite a reach.
    For his experience level thus far Newk has easily been solid in every since of the word. Then if you look at pen Newk he’s been lights out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Jim Bowden said it would take Ian Anderson straight up to get Kirby Yates. What’s he smoking?

Pass.

With every start here of late it’s looking like Anderson is legit.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Pretty sure sturg’s point isn’t that the system is barren of pitching, but that so far only one of those guys looks like a one or two, and the remainder look like three-to-fives or bullpen guys.
    didn't say he said that. said the system was completely devoid of pitching. which it was. and that's a pretty big issue for a mid-market team.

how do you suppose a mid-market team acquire enough solid pitching to get thru multiple years of contention?

this idea that you can just sign, draft, or trade for the right guys along the way instead of trying to develop them is laughable. either way can blow up in your face equally. stockpiling young pitchers is far from an unreasonable or bad move.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Jim Bowden said it would take Ian Anderson straight up to get Kirby Yates. What’s he smoking?

Pass.

Bowden always undervalues prospects and overvalues proven vets.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts

Pass.

Wasn't Bowden the one who suggested the other day that Kolby Allard and Thomas Burrows would be enough to get Felipe Vazquez?!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    didn't say he said that. said the system was completely devoid of pitching. which it was.
    It was just Lucas Sims and Jason Hursh.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It was just Lucas Sims and Jason Hursh.
    hey now don't leave out Sean Gilmartin, another fantastic first round pick.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I would be thrilled with either. One of those two with a guy like Will Smith would be a yuge upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I would be thrilled with either. One of those two with a guy like Will Smith would be a yuge upgrade.
    History says they won't get "TOP END" talent
    Ivermectin Man

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    History says they won't get "TOP END" talent
    Bummer looks like a potential back end stud. Check out his GB% rates

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Fangraphs write up on Scherzer's trade value: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/max-scherzers-trade-value/

Suggests Pache and Bryse Wilson would be fair value.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Fangraphs write up on Scherzer's trade value: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/max-scherzers-trade-value/

Suggests Pache and Bryse Wilson would be fair value.
    No doubt Scherzer would be awesome but I’d salary is huge and Pache could be our center fielder for a long time. That would be tough to do when you combine the salary and talent required. Then you have to hope he aged well.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Coredor For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    didn't say he said that. said the system was completely devoid of pitching. which it was. and that's a pretty big issue for a mid-market team.

how do you suppose a mid-market team acquire enough solid pitching to get thru multiple years of contention?

this idea that you can just sign, draft, or trade for the right guys along the way instead of trying to develop them is laughable. either way can blow up in your face equally. stockpiling young pitchers is far from an unreasonable or bad move.
    Data says you're wrong. Data says the volatility of pitchers make them less valuable overall. Data says to value prospects roughly as: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-updat...ect-valuation/

Pitching prospects are still valuable, as long as their risk is factored in correctly when calculating their overall value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Data says you're wrong. Data says the volatility of pitchers make them less valuable overall. Data says to value prospects roughly as: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-updat...ect-valuation/

Pitching prospects are still valuable, as long as their risk is factored in correctly when calculating their overall value.
    Position players assigned a 70 FV go on to be more productive than pitchers assigned a 70 FV. But this covers a very small number of players.

Looking at the 65s, it looks like the pitchers go on to be more productive on average by a small amount.

Looking at the 60s, it also looks like pitchers do better by a small amount.

Then for the 55s and 50s, the hitters do better by a significant amount. A 55 pitcher is closer to a 50 hitter than a 55 hitter.

I suspect the results for the 60s and 65s are flukes due to small samples. But maybe this needs to be looked at more closely.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."