Page 55 of 135 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2691

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I am not in position to research but is Vasquez have any historical success to lean on. I am truly ignorant on him. I am not a fan of pouring big resources into unproven talent. Any one can have an outlier season at anytime.
    Not an unproven talent

2015 2.64 FIP 0.9 WAR 48 IP
    2016 3.46 FIP 0.8 WAR 77 IP
    2017 2.47 FIP 2.2 WAR 75 IP
    2018 2.43 FIP 2.1 WAR 70 IP
    2019 2.02 FIP 1.6 WAR 42 IP
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Yeah seems like a solid reliever. I sometimes live in a Braves bubble and don’t know much about outside players. Like this grouper or salmon. Maybe it is trout guy. A lot folks talk about him but he sounds like a fish to me.
    Coppy

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    I confess I'm not entirely sure if I'm interpreting this right, so if I'm wrong I'll kindly ask you all not to jump up and down on me too harshly. But looking at Fangraph, they have Pache's Steamer projection at .253/.292/.393. Assuming that's an MLB projection, updated based on his AA performance so far, the idea of calling him up to play center is...mildly intriguing? If you trust the most adulatory reports on his defense and think he can come up and immediately enter the discussion for best defensive center fielder in baseball, that's at least an idea you have to consider, depending on your internal evaluations of Inciarte.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I can't remember who first remarked that Pache may be an option for CF rather than acquiring another OFer, but that's an idea we haven't discussed enough as a possibility. He is a few games away from accumulating 500 PAs in AA, and the Braves need a RHH OFer, preferably one who can play CF.

Would he be awesome? Probably not.

Would he be better than Ender and Riley? I could be convinced either way.
    I remember we talked about it a bit not too long ago when you were discussing your concerns about Riley’s bat and I was discussing my concerns about Ender’s health.

I’d probably lean towards Pache being better than both. Pache’s D has been rated better than Ender’s by some sources and based on what we’ve seen so far this year he can’t be worse with the bat. Riley probably has the best bat of the 3 overall but it’s not real good atm and the defense isn’t great either (although props to him for making it passable). If we’re not gonna go trade for someone I say give him a call. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Worst case we’re back where we started.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I remember we talked about it a bit not too long ago when you were discussing your concerns about Riley’s bat and I was discussing my concerns about Ender’s health.

I’d probably lean towards Pache being better than both. Pache’s D has been rated better than Ender’s by some sources and based on what we’ve seen so far this year he can’t be worse with the bat. Riley probably has the best bat of the 3 overall but it’s not real good atm and the defense isn’t great either (although props to him for making it passable). If we’re not gonna go trade for someone I say give him a call. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Worst case we’re back where we started.

Personally, I'm not sure what Pache brings to the table that you aren't getting out of Ender. Asking him to jump from AA to the Majors and then exceed that expectation in a playoff push and the playoffs given his past track record is a little bit of a reach.

Might as well go with the existing option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Personally, I'm not sure what Pache brings to the table that you aren't getting out of Ender. Asking him to jump from AA to the Majors and then exceed that expectation in a playoff push and the playoffs given his past track record is a little bit of a reach.

This.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

Yeah. If we are gonna trade Ender for pitching (which I'm not sold on), then I'd rather Riley continue black holing in the 8th spot in LF.
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    he made multiple deals to bring in Gausman, Brach, Duvall and Venters last year

this year might be less active...which is fine with me if the sellers are asking for too much...value is still a big part of the equation
    Absolutely. I'm not sure anyone has honestly suggested drastically overpaying for the available options - and been serious about it anyway. The problem around here is that any suggestion that doesn't line up perfectly with the charts gets people shouted down so fast they can't explain themselves.

A lot of it comes down to where you (ultimately AA) feels about where the team is, and what he thinks their chances are regardless of what the charts say. Those charts should absolutely be an important part of his thought process, but eventually he's going to have to be the one responsible for either improving the team or take the heat for blindly following them by passing.

Most fans can handle overpaying slightly with some of the more marginal guys because they're understandably excited about having a chance, and they rightfully think that could be a much better chance if a piece or two are added. If that can be accomplished by including a secondary piece from further down the list, most of us can stomach that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Yup. The honest fact of the matter is that this board will meltdown if Pache/Waters/Anderson is traded, even if it's for good value. AA has to do what he believes is best for the team.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Count me out on Pache being called up. Twit is way to stupid to deploy him right anyway. The Braves have 4 guys in the top 20 in plate appearances (3 in top 10). Other good teams like dodgers, yanks and stros don’t have 1 in the top 20. The fact that twit is to stupid to understand occasional rest (even to young guys). Then he is too stupid to deploy a good prospect properly to actual receive value for starting his clock early. No thanks with the moron running the ship.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

The Pache idea would be predicated on Ender not being a useful MLB player, and the Braves needing a competent CFer on the roster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    The Pache idea would be predicated on Ender not being a useful MLB player, and the Braves needing a competent CFer on the roster.
    To the point above, though, if Snitker isn't going to play him much, or if he's not really much of an improvement over Riley right away, I would rather he continue to get consistent PAs in AA and continue to improve his game while waiting to start his clock until into next year.

If it was an Acuna-like prospect or we had a huge hole, then absolutely, call him up. But as a sub/bench guy, or somebody who may or may not be better than our current options, I'd prefer to stay the course.
    "Acuna is getting lucky, just like CJ did when he batted .321 and won a batting title. He is unlikely to get lucky at the MLB level over an extended period of time. He will settle in around .300-.320 just like everyone else, and when he does, he won't be within shouting distance of the 1.000 OPS he is posting in AAA...more like low .700s in 2018." -Enscheff 8/25/17

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    To the point above, though, if Snitker isn't going to play him much, or if he's not really much of an improvement over Riley right away, I would rather he continue to get consistent PAs in AA and continue to improve his game while waiting to start his clock until into next year.

If it was an Acuna-like prospect or we had a huge hole, then absolutely, call him up. But as a sub/bench guy, or somebody who may or may not be better than our current options, I'd prefer to stay the course.
    Agreed. Similar thoughts with how Riley is being used now as the short side of a platoon. I think I would rather see Duvall play that role with Riley getting consistent PAs in AAA.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Carp (07-23-2019), Jaw (07-23-2019), rico43 (07-23-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I'm not particularly confident Pache can be better offensively, and I'd rather not risk stunting Pache's growth by putting the pressure of a pennant race on him.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Agreed. Similar thoughts with how Riley is being used now as the short side of a platoon. I think I would rather see Duvall play that role with Riley getting consistent PAs in AAA.
    Absolutely. I've been clamoring for Duvall for awhile now. He's done all that's been asked of him in AAA and we know he's a good defender, unlike Riley. Let Riley play every day in AAA and bring him back up in Sept.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I get that.

I just think I'd rather spend a small prospect on someone like Lagares if the need for a defensive CF came up. Not sure if he's healthy yet or his contract situation, but that's the kind of backup I'd look for.

I'm not convinced Pache could hack it offensively and I'm not sure it would really be worth starting his clock to let him be a defensive replacement/backup.

I do like the idea of using Duvall better.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Absolutely. I've been clamoring for Duvall for awhile now. He's done all that's been asked of him in AAA and we know he's a good defender, unlike Riley. Let Riley play every day in AAA and bring him back up in Sept.
    I thought swapping him and Riley made sense a while back. I get why it hasn't happened, but seems like it is about time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I thought swapping him and Riley made sense a while back. I get why it hasn't happened, but seems like it is about time.
    They seem intent on squeezing MLB value out of Riley no matter what it does to his service time or overall development.

It seems odd they would give Duvall $3M and then refuse to use him as an MLB bench player in favor of a young guy who clearly needs consistent PAs to help him improve. There must be something in the MiLB data we can't see that suggests Duvall isn't going to cut it at the MLB level, even as a platoon bat.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Thank you. I was about to agree with people who say I'm stupid for saying Riley can work it out better in AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Bumgarner vs cubs...
    7.0 ip 6 h 3 er 1 bb 7 k