Page 7 of 135 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    1:07
    Adam: If the Braves get serious in their pursuit of relief help, which prospect between Christian Pache and Drew Waters are they more likely to part with?

Kiley McDaniel: Given how they’ve approached things so far, I don’t think they trade a top 100-200 level guy until they think they are knocking on the door and are 1-2 players away from being 1st or 2nd best in the NL

1:09
    Kiley McDaniel: I just checked and our projected standings have them 2nd in the NL, but 11 games behind the Dodgers

1:10
    Kiley McDaniel: so I think next season may be the year ATL feels like moving the big chips in, after 2 years of evaluating the system and letting the best assets turn into what they’re going to be

I'd be more than a little upset if the Braves trade Waters or Pache for a BP arm...

What is the biggest trade chip the Dodgers have cashed in the last ~5 years?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019), UNCBlue012 (06-20-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Adam: If the Braves get serious in their pursuit of relief help, which prospect between Christian Pache and Drew Waters are they more likely to part with?

Kiley McDaniel: Given how they’ve approached things so far, I don’t think they trade a top 100-200 level guy until they think they are knocking on the door and are 1-2 players away from being 1st or 2nd best in the NL

Kiley McDaniel: I just checked and our projected standings have them 2nd in the NL, but 11 games behind the Dodgers

Kiley McDaniel: so I think next season may be the year ATL feels like moving the big chips in, after 2 years of evaluating the system and letting the best assets turn into what they’re going to be

I'd be more than a little upset if the Braves trade Waters or Pache for a BP arm...

Yusniel Diaz?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

Easy.

Matt Kemp.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

Guessing it was Machado trade last year. Of course, they've also been really lucky hitting on almost every prospect and FA signing as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    There is about zero chance IMO that Pache/Waters are traded.
    Natural Immunity Croc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Guessing it was Machado trade last year. Of course, they've also been really lucky hitting on almost every prospect and FA signing as well.
    They got Machado for a poo-poo platter of 5 prospects:

Diaz = FV 50
    Kremer = FV 45
    Pop = FV 40
    Bannon = FV 35+
    Valera = FV NA

This is a good idea for the kind of quantity over quality trade the Braves are likely to pursue.

They should be able to upgrade the BP with 1-2 arms at the cost of a few names nobody really cares about.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-19-2019), weso1 (06-19-2019)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts

Hector olivera

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-20-2019), striker42 (06-20-2019), thewupk (06-20-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

The Dodgers traded Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields in 2016.

That's about the only bad trade they've done. I'd be shocked if AA moved Waters or Pache for something that didnt have at least 3-4+ years of control coming back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    We are now firmly in the area that I predicted several years ago IMO of being good but with too many holes to really be great and not enough cash flexibility to buy what's needed that way.

That leaves a likely scenario pf 2 possibilities:

1. The Braves decide to "go for it" and open the prospect vault to trade for what is necessary to flesh out the current team as a competitor in the short term. I'm not talking about trading marginal prospects for marginal upgrades. I'm talking about significant adds that cost significant prospect capital. The Cubs took that route and won a WS but gave up a couple of high value prospects in Gleyber Torres and Eloy Jimenez to do it. They've won at a pretty good clip through their window and stand a good chance of making the playoffs again. But, even without the sanctions and money problems of the Braves, the Cubs find their farm mostly barren and their ML club getting relatively old, expensive and without a lot of significant player control. Their window is clearly closing. But I think you say it was worth it given the WS win. Without the WS win, I don't think most Cubs fans would be happy.

or

2. The Braves choose to hold the prospect capital and hope for enough development from within or a scrap heap trade reclamation to fill the holes well enough to get the job done. This is the Pittsburgh approach which extends a period of "good" baseball but largely precludes "great" baseball. Pittsburgh went away from that approach with the Archer trade of last year in a gamble that they apparently hoped would put them over the top. It didn't work. Their window is closed and they are headed for rebuild.

The Braves look to have secured a reasonable window of good baseball no matter what they do, especially with the unexpected Acuna and Albies extensions. But, given the apparent payroll constraints, any significant trade improvement will come as a significant prospect capital cost which will in turn limit the flexibility of future teams and shorten the window and ability to become a great team.
    Un Wut? We are literally maybe 1-2 relievers and arguably a starter from being a serious WS contender THIS year... Assets that can be easily obtained at the deadline and we are already at the second best record in the NL. Those assets will not cost as much as you are making it out and will not deplete our system. With our young controlled talent we are uniquely positioned to be legit contenders for a decade provided health. And you keep talking like you know our payroll potential when you have no clue. We just added Keuchel and tried to add Kimbrel so obviously we have a chunk of change left. As always you are overreacting.
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 06-19-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I will blow a gasket if we trade Water or Pache, moreso if its for a reliever. Good young cheap players are the lifeblood of teams. We are going to need them to fill starting spots while other players get more expensive. I am very confident both can/will be atleast average starting players. We should be able to aquire a decent reliever or two without giving up significant prospects. I feel like we have the ingredients for a quality bullpen. We have a lot of quality arms. I dont think we need a closer. Something like Tony Watson and/or Sam Dyson of the Giants would really round out our pen. We still have a few months for Minter, Sobotka, etc to wrok through their issues.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I will blow a gasket if we trade Water or Pache, moreso if its for a reliever. Good young cheap players are the lifeblood of teams. We are going to need them to fill starting spots while other players get more expensive. I am very confident both can/will be atleast average starting players. We should be able to aquire a decent reliever or two without giving up significant prospects. I feel like we have the ingredients for a quality bullpen. We have a lot of quality arms. I dont think we need a closer. Something like Tony Watson and/or Sam Dyson of the Giants would really round out our pen. We still have a few months for Minter, Sobotka, etc to wrok through their issues.
    There is no way Pache or Waters are traded for a reliever... AA is way too smart for that

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-20-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Grant Holmes was a recent first rounder. Not sure where he rated in top 100.

Traded with two other arms for rich hill/josh reddick.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-19-2019 at 10:48 PM.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Really surprised Kiley thinks we would trade Pache or Waters for a reliever.

He was supposed to be one of the brighter minds Coppy hired for the FO. You'd think he would see what AA is doing with holding onto value and prospects and not make a statement like that lol.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post

He was supposed to be one of the brighter minds Coppy hired for the FO. You'd think he would see what AA is doing with holding onto value and prospects and not make a statement like that lol.
    Some pretty bright front offices have traded elite position player prospects for elite relief pitchers. If the Braves were in the Astros/Dodgers stratosphere of contention, than it could make sense.

As for Kiley, I am pretty sure the team had him scouting guys in New Zealand and other strange assignments like that. I think his role in the Braves heirarchy has been overstated. Mostly it seemed like Coppy hired a guy he liked to read on Fangraphs and enjoyed as a drinking buddy. (And well - Coppy’s analytics knowledge seemed to center on filtering Fangraphs for wRC+).
    Last edited by chop2chip; 06-20-2019 at 01:11 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post

Not sure that’s what he said.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    as dumb as Coppy apparently was...he got Waters and Pache here so.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Coppy wasnt perfect but he did get Folty, Anderson, Riley, Pache, Waters, Swanson, among many others.

I do like what AA is doing though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Some pretty bright front offices have traded elite position player prospects for elite relief pitchers. If the Braves were in the Astros/Dodgers stratosphere of contention, than it could make sense.

As for Kiley, I am pretty sure the team had him scouting guys in New Zealand and other strange assignments like that. I think his role in the Braves heirarchy has been overstated. Mostly it seemed like Coppy hired a guy he liked to read on Fangraphs and enjoyed as a drinking buddy. (And well - Coppy’s analytics knowledge seemed to center on filtering Fangraphs for wRC+).
    Knowingly trading an elite position player for a reliever is probably always a bad idea.

Maybe if you are a huge market team that can buy yourself out of those kinds of decisions it makes sense, particularly if you haven't won a title in 100 years. But still...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Thats not Coppy. Thats the scouting infrastructure which was built over 30 years ago by Snyder and continued by JS/Bobby.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Hector olivera
    I still get angry about trading for that guy. Talk about a stupid move.