Page 33 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    From the Tigers perspective it's not so simple. Boyd has really stepped it up this year. An acquiring team would be smart to partly discount his 2019 performance. If he repeats it in 2020 no one will be applying a discount. So it is possible his value would go up even while losing a year of control.

It is possible some team will not apply much of a discount at this years deadline. In which case the Tigres should accept the offer.

I would price Boyd as a 2.5-3.0 WAR pitcher right now. Probably closer to 2.5.
    The question is, could AA get he and Greene with the right "spare parts" (if Wright or Wilson could be considered that way) - or would he be better off trying to get Stroman/Giles and maybe go after Smith?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The question is, could AA get he and Greene with the right "spare parts" (if Wright or Wilson could be considered that way) - or would he be better off trying to get Stroman/Giles and maybe go after Smith?
    generally bundling favors the selling team...we should be trying for Stroman/Smith rather than Stroman/Giles or Bumgarner/Smith
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    From the Tigers perspective it's not so simple. Boyd has really stepped it up this year. An acquiring team would be smart to partly discount his 2019 performance. If he repeats it in 2020 no one will be applying a discount. So it is possible his value would go up even while losing a year of control.

It is possible some team will not apply much of a discount at this years deadline. In which case the Tigres should accept the offer.

I would price Boyd as a 2.5-3.0 WAR pitcher right now. Probably closer to 2.5.
    Do not hold onto pitchers if you aren’t competing. Period. Full stop.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

BeanieAntics (07-14-2019), salmagundy (07-14-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Do not hold onto pitchers if you aren’t competing. Period. Full stop.
    Coppy disagrees.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Coppy disagrees.
    Coppy was proven right. Julio would be a part of the next great Braves team.

All hail lord Coppy.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (07-14-2019), Tapate50 (07-14-2019)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Coppy disagrees.
    So!! He's on permanent ban from MLB activities. He has little to nothing to add to any conversation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Coppy was proven right. Julio would be a part of the next great Braves team.

All hail lord Coppy.
    Or bow to the Altar of Hart
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    generally bundling favors the selling team...we should be trying for Stroman/Smith rather than Stroman/Giles or Bumgarner/Smith
    Don't think anyone questions that - just not sure you can always be as selective as you'd like to be.

Given the blurry reports we've gotten thus far, we can probably all agree that AA is targeting one SP and at least one pen arm. If both San Francisco and Toronto are considering packaging their four pieces, couldn't you make the argument that it COULD (not will by any stretch) actually cost you a bit more to break their pieces up so you get the two (Stroman/Smith) you prefer? If we're assuming everyone (including rival GMs) are aware that AA is going to add one of each and you're another GM, would it not be in your best interest to try to sell him on the idea that "overpaying a little to get my two guys will actually wind up costing you less than it would to get me to give up Stroman and the Giants to give up Smith"?

That'd be walking a tightrope like Miami did this winter if you really liked most of what AA was offering more than you did other offers, but can anyone really be sure that might not happen again? The closer we get to the deadline, the chances someone's going to overpay increase. If you're Ross Atkins, wouldn't it make a little sense to say "I'll take Wilson, Wentz, and filler for Stroman, but if you'll make it Wright and Muller instead I'll throw in Giles"? Would you pass that up in the hope that you could hold onto Wright and Muller and package lesser assets to get Smith and still need to go get a SP elsewhere?
    Last edited by clvclv; 07-14-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Don't think anyone questions that - just not sure you can always be as selective as you'd like to be.

Given the blurry reports we've gotten thus far, we can probably all agree that AA is targeting one SP and at least one pen arm. If both San Francisco and Toronto are considering packaging their four pieces, couldn't you make the argument that it COULD (not will by any stretch) actually cost you a bit more to break their pieces up so you get the two (Stroman/Smith) you prefer? If we're assuming everyone (including rival GMs) are aware that AA is going to add one of each and you're another GM, would it not be in your best interest to try to sell him on the idea that "overpaying a little to get my two guys will actually wind up costing you less than it would to get me to give up Stroman and the Giants to give up Smith"?

That'd be walking a tightrope like Miami did this winter if you really liked most of what AA was offering more than you did other offers, but can anyone really be sure that might not happen again? The closer we get to the deadline, the chances someone's going to overpay increase. If you're Ross Atkins, wouldn't it make a little sense to say "I'll take Wilson, Wentz, and filler for Stroman, but if you'll make it Wright and Muller I'll throw in Giles"? Would you pass that up in the hope that you could hold onto Wright and Muller and package lesser assets to get Smith and still need to go get a SP elsewhere?
    Your question aside, are you seriously saying to send Wilson, Wentz, Wright and Muller for Giles and Stroman?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Your question aside, are you seriously saying to send Wilson, Wentz, Wright and Muller for Giles and Stroman?
    Of course not - read closer.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Edited for clarity.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Of course not - read closer.
    I tried.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (07-14-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Given the blurry reports we've gotten thus far, we can probably all agree that AA is targeting one SP and at least one pen arm. If both San Francisco and Toronto are considering packaging their four pieces, couldn't you make the argument that it COULD (not will by any stretch) actually cost you a bit more to break their pieces up so you get the two (Stroman/Smith) you prefer?

That'd be walking a tightrope like Miami did this winter if you really liked most of what AA was offering more than you did other offers, but can anyone really be sure that might not happen again?
    Sure anything COULD happen. Even fairly unlikely things happen.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    So the moral of the story, as always, is that AA should overpay at the trade deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    So the moral of the story, as always, is that AA should overpay at the trade deadline.
    I think there is a second issue. If the idea is to improve the team as much as possible without a gross overpay it makes sense to target Stroman (aka the long islander) or Wheeler over Bumgarner and Smith over pretty much any reliever.

The Giants may try to bundle Smith and Bumgarner but it is in our interest to try to stay away from a trade of that sort.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Wrapping a poorly thought out “idea” with a bunch of ifs, maybes and coulds doesn’t make it any smarter.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

rico43 (07-14-2019), salmagundy (07-14-2019), zbhargrove (07-14-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Homer Bailey to the A’s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Prices for Cashner and Bailey have been minimal. Not a surprise. But for buying clubs slightly reassuring.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Homer Bailey to the A’s
    With the big dawgs Bailey and Cashner being dealt, I'm sure the dam is about to break loose!