Page 57 of 135 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 2691

Thread: 2019 Trade Deadline Thread:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Waters is a big piece. I think I’d rather wait and sign Smith in the offseason and I like Vazquez a lot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Waters/Muller would be a big start towards getting something that wouldn't be limited to 60 IPs would be my response to that.
    while true to an extent, relievers like him are so valuable in the playoffs. having a rockstar RP would be quite nice.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I don't claim much knowledge on the subject, but the calculation of fair value for controlled relievers seems like it's missing an input that considers the overall volatility of relievers. It's difficult to understand how anyone who plays so little, and has such a high chance of failure due to the nature of their role, can hold much long term value.

Have smart teams paid any of these high value prices for controlled relievers lately, or was it only teams who are less advanced in their decision making?
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Mets "have been open" to trading Edwin Diaz.
    However, Passan indicates that a deal is unlikely unless the Mets lower their demands, with one executive telling him that the club is "asking for more than they gave up for him." That would be a tough sell considering that Diaz would come with less control this time around and his performance has declined sharply since last season. Diaz is under team control through 2022.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Jul 24, 2019, 1:38 PM ET

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I don't claim much knowledge on the subject, but the calculation of fair value for controlled relievers seems like it's missing an input that considers the overall volatility of relievers. It's difficult to understand how anyone who plays so little, and has such a high chance of failure due to the nature of their role, can hold much long term value.

Have smart teams paid any of these high value prices for controlled relievers lately, or was it only teams who are less advanced in their decision making?
    What we have seen with contracts of 3+ years for BP arms is either dumb teams, or teams with so many resources they can waste $10M+ per year on a fizzled BP arm and not blink. We have also seen teams like the Indians and Cubs dump significant prospect resources into BP arms because their model weighs the value of elite BP arms in the postseason extremely heavily.

I think there are some BP arms who are some combination of young enough, good enough, and consistent enough that they can warrant a larger commitment. Vazquez is certainly bordering on being that type of guy, and Waters/Muller is completely within the realm of reason in terms of value (arbitrarily boosting Muller's value to that of a FV 50 guy "just because" isn't really a justifiable argument tactic).

Having said that, we've seen the Braves win without a killer BP. We hope to see AA make value adds at the deadline to bolster the BP. We've seen the Braves largely fail at making their own BP studs. I probably wouldn't give up Waters for Vazquez, but I would probably give up Wright for him.

AA is now in the hardest place to be for a FO. Selling off assets at the beginning of a rebuild is easy. Dumping resources in win-now moves is easy. Walking that line trying to balance present wins with future wins is very hard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post

The BoSox paid over 60 million in surplus value for Kimbrel. Brad Hand trade is a little tricky since Cleveland got back both Brad Hand and Adam Cimber, who while not well known, was a rookie reliever having a terrific season with 6 years of control. It's hard to put a good value on Cimber. Still, Cleveland gave up 50+ million in FV in that trade.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (07-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The BoSox paid over 60 million in surplus value for Kimbrel. Brad Hand trade is a little tricky since Cleveland got back both Brad Hand and Adam Cimber, who while not well known, was a rookie reliever having a terrific season with 6 years of control. It's hard to put a good value on Cimber. Still, Cleveland gave up 50+ million in FV in that trade.
    Vaquez is more productive than Hand and under a better contract.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What we have seen with contracts of 3+ years for BP arms is either dumb teams, or teams with so many resources they can waste $10M+ per year on a fizzled BP arm and not blink. We have also seen teams like the Indians and Cubs dump significant prospect resources into BP arms because their model weighs the value of elite BP arms in the postseason extremely heavily.

I think there are some BP arms who are some combination of young enough, good enough, and consistent enough that they can warrant a larger commitment. Vazquez is certainly bordering on being that type of guy, and Waters/Muller is completely within the realm of reason in terms of value (arbitrarily boosting Muller's value to that of a FV 50 guy "just because" isn't really a justifiable argument tactic).
    I'd be willing to bet Muller is a 50 FV when the latest fangraphs list comes out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Vaquez is more productive than Hand and under a better contract.
    Wasn't commenting on that. Just listing the 2 most recent trades I could think of where a smart team spent a significant amount on closer with several years of control.

Sean Doolittle is another one.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet Muller is a 50 FV when the latest fangraphs list comes out.
    There is no "latest list", it is updated almost daily now. What you are seeing is the "latest list". The "latest list" was changed to move Waters up to the high end of the 55s, and Gohara down.

Players are valuated now for trades that happen now. If Muller is a 50 in 6 months, he will be more valuable 6 months from now. Whether Muller moves up to a 50, or gets hurt and falls down the list, his value now is what it is now.

Now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    He got bumped to a 45+

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Having said that, we've seen the Braves win without a killer BP. We hope to see AA make value adds at the deadline to bolster the BP. We've seen the Braves largely fail at making their own BP studs. I probably wouldn't give up Waters for Vazquez, but I would probably give up Wright for him.

AA is now in the hardest place to be for a FO. Selling off assets at the beginning of a rebuild is easy. Dumping resources in win-now moves is easy. Walking that line trying to balance present wins with future wins is very hard.
    Agree on giving up Wright over Waters. Your last point is also true, he needs to make the right moves and not the flashy ones that shorten our window of contention.

Especially since like every team he calls to trade with WILL ask for Waters, Pache and Anderson.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Agree on giving up Wright over Waters. Your last point is also true, he needs to make the right moves and not the flashy ones that shorten our window of contention.

Especially since like every team he calls to trade with WILL ask for Waters, Pache and Anderson.
    His job if that is the ask is to say no.

If teams for whatever reason price the Braves out of the higher end of the trade market because they are asking the Braves more than they ask other teams, the Braves simply should not shop in that side of the market until that changes and should limit themselves to adding at the margins.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (07-24-2019)

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I don't trade Waters or Pache unless it's for a long term answer in the OF. I don't trade Anderson unless it's for a TOR starter. I don't envision any of that happening, so those 3 should be untouchable.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Kiley: "I’ve heard Waters and Pache are the two guys off the table in any talks for ATL"

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Kiley: "I’ve heard Waters and Pache are the two guys off the table in any talks for ATL"
    As it should be.

Everyone else should be on the table including Anderson.
    Forever Fredi

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I think there is a decent chance Ender gets traded for a rental

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    I think there is a decent chance Ender gets traded for a rental
    Which would be dumb unless Pache is going to be coming up.

We don't have anyone who can competently play CF if we need to tighten up on defense.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I’m going to predict the Braves don’t sell low on Inciarte

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If Anderson is available in a trade then AA may have a big move up his sleeve. Anderson’s value is pretty high right now.