Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: THURSDAY MINORS FINAL 6/20/19; Big night for Pache

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    yeah the comp makes zero sense.
    Not a young Markakis. Markakis now. Lefty hitter, fantastic bat control, good hit tool, smart ABs, enough pop to hit 12-15 HRs. How does that make zero sense?

I think he could be Markakis now with the bat and Culberson in the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The bat control is the big reason why I point to current Markakis for a comp as a hitter. It's Shewmake's most impressive tool to me and comparing it to Markakis' is a complement.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Shew as an ultimate UTIL guy is fine, but having to use a 1st rounder on one of them is eh. I could see him get fast tracked quick though.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Pache has a single, double and two walks tonight.
    Just doubled again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Just doubled again.
    We really are going to have an everyday lineup full of homegrown players next year.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Not a young Markakis. Markakis now. Lefty hitter, fantastic bat control, good hit tool, smart ABs, enough pop to hit 12-15 HRs. How does that make zero sense?

I think he could be Markakis now with the bat and Culberson in the field.
    Not sure why you wouldn’t want that player at 21. A SS who is above average offensively is a top 10 draft pick. It’s essentially what Dansby Swanson projected to be And he went first overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Not sure why you wouldn’t want that player at 21. A SS who is above average offensively is a top 10 draft pick. It’s essentially what Dansby Swanson projected to be And he went first overall.
    With his hit tool, if he had Dansby's defense he'd have been a top 5 pick. But Shewmake's not likely to stick at SS.

The Braves want him to add bulk (he's a scrawny 6-4 right now) to add some pop to his game. There's a good bet he outgrows being able to do more than fill in as a middle infielder.

If he's a full time player it's probably as an OF but a lot of people think he offers more value playing 5 days a week all over the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Looks like Wentz had some bad luck tonight. Nice to see 6 Ks in 5 IP for him though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    yeah the comp makes zero sense.
    it’s a comparison to a brave with a negative aura about him, which is all he wants.

It doesn’t matter at all whether the comp makes any sense at all.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 06-21-2019 at 08:45 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Izzy was one of a group of signings that Hartcoppy was very proud of. I think they traded someone (I want to say La Stella) for international slot money and wanted to make a big splash right away in the international market. By then of course the best prospects had been scooped up. But Hartcoppy wanted to show how smart they were and went out and signed a half dozen or so kids, one of whom was Izzy. Of course none them amounted to anything.
    Weirdly personal.

The trade was LaStella for A. Vizcaino and bonus money, which they then spent on some lottery tickets that the existing braves scouting dept had evidently liked.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    it’s a comparison to a brave with a negative aura about him, which is all he wants.

It doesn’t matter at all whether the company makes any sense at all.
    I'm actually a fan of Markakis. Most negative stuff about him is defense related and I'm not comparing Shewmake's defense to his, only the bat.

Here's a line for Shewmake:

.274 BA, .363 OBP, .421 SLG, 11.9 K%

I think that's a very reasonable line for him at the plate. Maybe a bit higher BA but fewer walks so the OBP stays the same. But that would be a very successful line for Shewmake.

That's also Markakis' current line.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Shew as an ultimate UTIL guy is fine, but having to use a 1st rounder on one of them is eh. I could see him get fast tracked quick though.
    but that's not necessarily what he is...
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    My Shewmake comp is Nick Markakis who can play okay defense all over.
    For RAILING A DRAFT PICK for days after the draft over and over...this is hilarious
    Ivermectin Man

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    but that's not necessarily what he is...
    He could be anything from a guy who never gets out of high A ball to the next Chase Utley. It's all projection and speculation at this point. It's fun to do but ultimately meaningless

This is why I cannot fathom why people get so up in arms when you disagree with them over what you think a prospect will ultimately be. If you think Shewmake is going to be a top notch starter, that's great. I hope you're right. If you think he's going to bust out quickly, that's certainly your opinion. Even the guys who do this professionally are wrong about what players will become a huge percentage of the time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He could be anything from a guy who never gets out of high A ball to the next Chase Utley. It's all projection and speculation at this point. It's fun to do but ultimately meaningless

This is why I cannot fathom why people get so up in arms when you disagree with them over what you think a prospect will ultimately be. If you think Shewmake is going to be a top notch starter, that's great. I hope you're right. If you think he's going to bust out quickly, that's certainly your opinion. Even the guys who do this professionally are wrong about what players will become a huge percentage of the time.
    this is why i can't fathom why people get so up in arms over picks and complain constantly and have a definitive opinion and act like they know more than they do.

see how that works?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    For RAILING A DRAFT PICK for days after the draft over and over...this is hilarious
    I didn't rail at that pick as much as I railed at the strategy of drafting 3 lower ceiling college bats with the first three picks. I felt Shewmake was a reach at 21 but if we had gone higher risk with our other two picks, I'd have been okay with it. I was wanting someone with a shot at being a superstar and with our first two picks we got likely major leaguers but not guys who are going to have the ability to carry the team. It was a disappointing strategy to me.

The pick I really hated was Philip at 60. I still don't get drafting him at all.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Weirdly personal.

The trade was LaStella for A. Vizcaino and bonus money, which they then spent on some lottery tickets that the existing braves scouting dept had evidently liked.
    Wilson did have some issues. He was sent home early from Danville in 2016, but he came back there in 2017 and started to look like a player. I always thought the Braves pushed him too aggressively and he never shook the strikeout habit. But, as you say, he was highly regarded by the Braves and he didn't break the bank when they signed him. I believe he signed for $125,000. Hardly a big splash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    this is why i can't fathom why people get so up in arms over picks and complain constantly and have a definitive opinion and act like they know more than they do.

see how that works?
    Because we're baseball fans discussing a team on an internet forum. If we all sat around on draft day saying "Gee, that certainly was a player we just selected" it would be very boring. Debating baseball is fun. If you disagree with my take on a player, by all means go ahead. Share your opinions. Perhaps you win me over.

I will say there was one argument on the draft thread in favor of Shewmake that did resonate with me. That was when it was pointed out that the game has changed in recent years and you see teams like the Dodgers stocking their bench with super-sub types who contribute tremendously to their success. So that has actually give me more hope for Shewmake justifying his draft status.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I didn't rail at that pick as much as I railed at the strategy of drafting 3 lower ceiling college bats with the first three picks. I felt Shewmake was a reach at 21 but if we had gone higher risk with our other two picks, I'd have been okay with it. I was wanting someone with a shot at being a superstar and with our first two picks we got likely major leaguers but not guys who are going to have the ability to carry the team. It was a disappointing strategy to me.

The pick I really hated was Philip at 60. I still don't get drafting him at all.
    Drafting Neck at 21 is not a reach. That is a home run.
    Coppy

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019), Tapate50 (06-21-2019)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Drafting Neck at 21 is not a reach. That is a home run.
    Very true seeing he was drafted 7th the year he was drafted. I remember the discussion on the old Scout board about Markakis and the Braves were really hot on him that year, but they liked him more as a pitcher than a hitter. Of course, in those days, the Braves liked everyone more as a pitcher. Braves had two comp picks that year--#'s 35 and 36 with which they drafted Atilano and Saltalamacchia--and Markakis was never going to fall that far.

Just did a quick look, and of all the guys drafted in the first round in 2003, Markakis has the highest WAR, nudging out Adam Jones, who was the last pick in the round at #37.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2019), Tapate50 (06-21-2019)